boinky

Computer Repair Payment

I need some assistance on determining how much to pay someone for some home computer repairs.

Recently, I knocked our laptop into the floor and onto the power cord that was connected in the back. It turns out that it broke something (see pic). B|

I have had someone take the laptop apart, determine the broken part and find a web site that sells that part. Probably roughly in excess of 30 minutes, but probably less than an hour.

I ordered the replacement part. He is now going to remove the broken part, resolder the new one, put the laptop back together and then we're all going to cross our fingers that it works again. :)
But even if it doesn't work after all of this, I believe I should pay the guy something. He is sort of a friend, but I don't believe in abusing friendships.

How much do you think I should offer the guy? I don't want to insult him...but obviously, I'm not rich either. [:/]
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I think most generic computer repair/maintenance shops charge $50/hr (at least around here) so I think offering him $50 would be reasonable, 30 minutes of time, plus the trouble of coming over. But if he's a friend of yours, then the visiting part shouldn't really be a problem.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Yup....I was kind of leaning towards the $100. But even if it doesn't work, he still gave the time and effort to try, so I may give him that much either way. :)
Nina

Actually, he's next door and I went to him!

I figure by the time he takes off the old part, puts the new one on and does reconstructive surgery...he'll be in for an hour'ish. ;)
Nina

Remembers me of a T-Shirt I once saw:

"Will fix computers for sex."

Of course I bought it. :D

[B]LMAO!!![/B] :D :D :D

And has it worked well for you? >:(
Nina

50 to look at it and onther $100 if what he dose makes it work would be the going rate

Meh - just do 75 - and some beer - :ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yeah, he first told me that I was going to have a new motherboard. But we're having problems finding one. So we decided to try this route instead. There's a company out there called "Laptop Jacks, Inc." that sells just the part that is broken." The part was only $8.99. They raped me on the shipping, though.....Charged me $8.00. B| But $17 is STILL better than trying to buy a new motherboard.
Nina

I gave him some Shiner a while back...he still has some of it. :o Not much of a drinker, I guess. Maybe he needs to become a skydiver to learn to drink? ;)
Nina

Was it a laptop? He had to totally take the damned thing apart to get to the motherboard. And STILL has to put it all back together. [:/]
Nina

I'd put the money toward a replacement motherboard or a new laptop. Motherboards tend to be layered circuit boards and a soldering iron on top can destroy itty bitty traces underneath. The heat goes down through the layers and, as small as some of them are, it toasts the little guys. We found that out the hard way and ended up chucking the whole thing.

Good luck...

Blue skies and happy landings!

I'd put the money toward a replacement motherboard or a new laptop.

God, I hope I don't ruin the whole thing. I'm feeling terribly guilt ridden as it is. :(
Nina

PC.

I'm sure you're getting better service than I got at Best Buy though, so the money may be worth it!!!! :D

Good luck!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

> Motherboards tend to be layered circuit boards and a soldering
>iron on top can destroy itty bitty traces underneath. The heat goes
>down through the layers and, as small as some of them are,
>it toasts the little guys.

?? Never had that problem. I mean, you can't use a $3.99 Radio Shack soldering iron, but reworking multilayer boards just isn't that hard with the right tools. (And anyone who fixes PC's, or anyone who even _can_ fix them, is going to have a decent soldering iron.) Keep in mind those boards all went through a 300C solder-reflow oven; they're pretty rugged.

Attached are a few pics of some reworked 10-layer boards.

I hope so. Although I told him to "take his time," what I really wanted to say was, "Do it right now! Do it right now!" ;)

When it first happened, Mike was already mentally taking it apart and salvaging usable parts. And I felt like shit. :(

I'll let you all know if it works out. :)
Nina

When I went to him originally, it was just to get a recommendation of who to have look at it. Then I found out that he used to work with Dell and he offered to look at it himself.

He's saying I shouldn't pay him. But as I stated before, I don't believe in abusing friendships. I'M the one who's offering to pay him....and he's sort of shrugging me off.

Young couple, just getting married with a 2 year old. Come on...we were all young once and "cash needy."

Besides, I've got a bum leg right now (part of what caused the whole incident in the first place). Hobbling next door is a HELL of a lot easier than hobbling to the truck, gently getting in without bending or bumping leg, getting back out without doing the same and hobbling around a PC store. Repeat adventure on trip home.
Nina