flyangel2

Am I going down the right path?

As some of you may know, I’ve decided to head back to school and become a Vet Tech. I’ve been working in a Vet’s clinic now since March and am learning so much. Going to school after working all day with hands on stuff in the clinic has put me way head of my classmates.

The only problem I’m having is dealing with death. I’ve assisted with euthanasia at the clinic and every time I do, I end up crying my eyes out. Today was the hardest one on me.

I want to be the best Vet Tech I can be, but I can’t stop crying when I have to put that needle in a vain.

The Doctor that I work for said that she still cries every time. And that tears are not a sign of weakness.

Sorry for the vent, this was just a hard day for me. Time to make a drink. Nothing a little Captain can't help with;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Someone call for a Captain?:P

I don't know how you do it girl; but, that said, somebody has to. As far as I'm concerned as long as you still have feelings when you do it you'll never become a cold and heartless bitch.

That was meant to make you feel better...

HUGS Mar!:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

well, I'm not sure if thats the right or the left path.

I would assume they don't euthanize any old pet for training so You should understand that they are going down for a reason.

As Fas as I am concerned its perfectly ok to cry when you put the pet down.

the questions you have to ask yourself is:
Will this effect your ability to do the job?
Will this effect you as a person?
Will you find the reward of saving 100's of animals to each one you have to euthanize?

Will you be able to live withyourself if you have to put the needle in the vein again?

(I think I would find the healing aspect of it more rewarding than the rest)
My photos

My Videos

I don't know about "desensitized" in this aspect.
I would tend to think she'll come to understand that its for the better.

I guess one could look at it as desensitization but that sounds as if she'll be oblivious to it. I would be bothered if I could stick an animal and not have even the slightest moment of sorrow, but when its for the better I would be able to do it, I think.
My photos

My Videos

I havent gotten to the stage you are at, I dont know anyone here so I am waiting for clinicals after next semester before I actually get to that (although I applied to be a docent at this zoo). The one thing Im not liking is I learned that pets are considered personal property and its legal to euthanize healthy animals. All a pet owner has to do is pay. So far all I know is I will not work for a vet who assists in those types of practices. Granted I am going to be looking to work in a zoo versus a animal hospital but I can not imagine being able to look in a mirror after putting a pet down because the owner didnt want a pet anymore.

You will make a great Tech simply because of who you are and the fact that this affects you so much. You have a love for animals and thats what matters. You will be fine.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

You have so much compassion for animals, I definitely think this is the right path for you. At least the animals are in your loving hands for their last few moments on Earth. You are a special angel for them. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You are so going down the right path. I have a vet, which a dear friend uses too, that cares for our pets like you would not believe. She is there every step of the way to counsel us as to what is right/wrong/good/bad for our pets. She has been there at "the end" too. She has helped make the decision and has given us insight as to what is best for our pet. She has shed many tears, right along with us. This as a patient/consumer/whatever has helped us immensely. It shows that she has heart and loves what she does and most of all loves our pets and sees them as we see them, as family members. Tears does not mean weakness it means that you care and that you love.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Man, I can't imagine how hard that part of the job must be. I cry every time I see an animal euthanized on a TV show!

I'm guessing that the pet owners appreciate your compassion and understanding in a difficult time.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Just what you want, advice from a total stranger, but here goes....

If you were suffering in pain and nothing that anyone could do would give you any quality of life, would you want to suffer, or would you want the plug pulled?

Personally, I'd want the plug pulled. Unfortuneately, pets don;t get to decide for themselves, their owners have to make that decision. I have a living will, and don't want to live like a vegetable. I would want the plug pulled, and would not want anyone else to have to make that decision, I have pre made it.

I'm sure it sucks to have to do it, but I'd also assume that in every case, it is for the best for the animal. If it's not, I'd be very surprised.

It's ok to feel sad, and meybe even a little guilty. That id nature letting you know that you are still a human with a beating heart. I'd be much more worried about the path you were taking if you got a kick out of it....

Ganja

I believe that the reward is commensurate with what you give. I think you'd give a lot. Tears are part of it, but I doubt that they'd outweigh the rest.... I think you'd be a great asset to any veterinary practice. :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Will this effect your ability to do the job?
Will this effect you as a person?

I'm not sure; I haven't been doing it long enough.

Will you find the reward of saving 100's of animals to each one you have to euthanize?

And that is the answer! I have to remember the number of animals that came in to the clinic this past week that were given a chance for a better life.

You're right; I don't want to get desensitized except for the pee and shit that ends up on me at the end of the day. I think I'm already to that point, when an animal ends up peeing on me, I just change my scrubs.

Lisa:

The one thing Im not liking is I learned that pets are considered personal property and its legal to euthanize healthy animals. All a pet owner has to do is pay. So far all I know is I will not work for a vet who assists in those types of practices

But were do you draw the line? We had one client come in and ask us to put his dog down because she had bitten a little girl. What about the dog that cashes after motorcycles and causes the driver to dump his bike? I've been at the clinic for six months now, and we've never had some one call and say they need to put their animal down just "because". I guess it might happen more in a bigger clinic in a bigger city/town.

Andrea:

At least the animals are in your loving hands for their last few moments on Earth.

You're right, I have to remember that part. And I also have to remember that the sick ones are in a better place.

pullhigh:

If you were suffering in pain and nothing that anyone could do would give you any quality of life, would you want to suffer, or would you want the plug pulled?

Yup, I got that under control. I too have a living well and my family knows to pull the plug.

Thanks all. I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself and the hard week I had last week, and how the week started for me today.

BTW Katie, there are tons of people that call me bitch;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You're right; I don't want to get desensitized except for the pee and shit that ends up on me at the end of the day. I think I'm already to that point, when an animal ends up peeing on me, I just change my scrubs.

well you don't want to reverse your feeling too far, you'll just end up enjoy it:ph34r::P
My photos

My Videos

Enjoying the pee and shit? Oh my good lord. I'm already to that point:ph34r:

We have a contest at the clinic to see how many scrubs each one goes through in a day. Hell, one day I went through five pairs, and that's only in an eight hour shift.

It's like I have "Please pee on me" tattooed on my forehead. But I could have sworn that animals couldn't read:ph34r:

But were do you draw the line? We had one client come in and ask us to put his dog down because she had bitten a little girl. What about the dog that cashes after motorcycles and causes the driver to dump his bike? I've been at the clinic for six months now, and we've never had some one call and say they need to put their animal down just "because". I guess it might happen more in a bigger clinic in a bigger city/town.

Im not sure, right now I am in text book mode. It made me mad to find out that it is legal to do that. I personally cant imagine it happening but they did go into that some vets on ethics refuse it.

I wish I could do clinicals earlier. It would be nice to see if I had it in me to go through the poop and pee stuff before finishing the degree. I sold my kids on ebay for the diaper years. Im not a huge fan of body fluids :| although I think the cause is worth the effects, just as you do.

Personally I think you will be great at your job. Hell your already proven that you are. Its a balance of compassion, sometimes the compassion has you aiding in them dying and more times your compassion has you watching over them and helping to save their life.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this