skylab

Cypres problem!

HI.

My Cypres is turning off by itself time to time.

It started around 2 years ago when I was jumping all week at a boogie, after I landed and start to do the packing I notice that the Cypres had turned off, and this happened on 7/10 jumps.
Airtec made a repair on it and after that it has been okay except for a couple of failure, until this weekend.
The problem is now back again and after almost every jump it was turned off!
Do you think it’s safe to jump?
Airtec said that it’s probably just the display what’s turned off and it’s still working!?
I don’t think it’s just the display that is blank I think the Cypres is dead!

Anyone whit the same problem?
And yes I’m going to send it to Airtec AGAIN then I have the time, just curious if anyone had the same prob and if you know what it was?

Thanks,
Karim.

Do you think it’s safe to jump?

Safe? Sure. It seems unlikely that it would actually hurt you.

As long as you aren't relying on it to save your ass, which you shouldn't be doing even if it was working properly.
__

My mighty steed

Airtec had an issue with some units a while ago where the unit was still active but it would turn the display off. The unit would still operate but you couldn't tell if it was on or not since the LCD was off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just hope that my reserve not deploy when I’m freeflying with my friends..

I would simply leave the unit off until its repaired to your satisfaction.

My preference would be to jump with no AAD rather than one that may not be relied upon to function properly
__

My mighty steed

I would think that if it is actually on (but the display is off), that you could tell that going through the sequence with the LED lights would first turn it off, then going at it again turns it on.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This sounds like an issue I had with my cypres after sending it away for its 4 year check. It wouldn't turn on, turned off etc. Airtec came up with a string of reasons, from the unit was under too much physical pressure (so I downsized to a 120 reserve) and it was too hot in the boot of my car (which was bullshit) but the problem persisted... until it was time to change the battery after 2 years. Then it was solved. Dodgy battery.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Skylab,

I know its a pain, but I'd send it back to Airtec again, or at least get on the phone with them.

Its not exactly the your problem, but I had (actually still have) a Cypress that was displaying codes that weren't in the book after a string of jumps years back. Basically, the book says to just cycle power on the unit and if it counts back down to "0", its good to go, but it kept doing it and I finally sent the unit back to Airtec (actually SSK in OH) with a listing of the codes I'd seen and basically asking them "What's up with that?" They sent it back saying it was "okay." I think it did it a few times after that, but I really don't recall. The only thing I could figure was at the DZ I was jumping at then, the landing area was a mile or two away from the hangar/packing/loading area and maybe 100' higher... not enough that any of us ever bothered messing with the settings on our Cypress (okay, maybe we should have :S), but maybe enough to confuse it from time to time. I still have that same Cypress in my then primary / now back-up rig, its been through its 4-year and 8-year checks since with no problems; it drops dead in Oct 08 & then I get to do something "fun" with it... :ph34r:

I had the same problem - cypres 1. A few years ago. When it would switch off, it was not just the display. I know this because when I would press the button 4 times, it would begin it's countdown sequence and switch on. (This is as Sundevil said) If the Cypres was on and just a blank display then pressing the button 4 times would result in it switching off.
My rigger sent it back, they returned it without explaining what the problem had been and it never happened again :)

I have the same problem with my cypres2. the display turns off, but the cypres is still on. when the display goes off and i press the button again it does nothing. then i do it again and it counts down. i was told that it was because of static electricity which causes the lcd to do that. i have to send mine in for its four year and battery and plan to have them address the problem then.

HI!
And thanks everyone for your answer!
It’s the same with mine, when I press the button 4 times, it would begin its countdown sequence and switch on.

And thanks Kai! I think am going to send it for repair once again. (Maybe it’s just the batteries, it stops at 6370 and on 5000 doing the countdown?)

Thanks!
//Karim