Calvin19

Withdrawal

What would you suggest that a physician do to help you (or anyone with acute pain) manage your pain. The options are limited. There's acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen.....a few slightly more powerful NSAIDs with their inherent risks....then narcotics. This is an issue that comes up more than once or twice a day. Physicians are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place too. Some refuse to give any narcotics because of these issues. People are left with pain. Others manage pain the best they can, and some people become addicted. It's difficult to hear people say "Fuck doctors," when it's a damn hard problem. I think most doctors work it out the best they can....

linz

Lindsey...my Orthos were absolutely the best. I cant say a bad word about them. They put me back together as best as they could. Unlike Calvin I dont blame them for anything. I have made over 1500 jumps since my accident.....against Drs orders ..and therein lies the problem.
The Docs wanted me to stay down and take it easy.
I didnt and have paid for it.
I sorta dig the pain anyway.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

[
I'm just curious. Not arguing with anyone. But I am interested in how the scenario went....

linz

Scenario ?

If you're taking OxyContin, you're taking it by mouth. I'm interested in how it progressed to addiction without a patient's awareness of or agreement to taking that medication. When you took it, didn't you know what you were taking? Did you make a choice to take it or not? Was it a step down from what you were taking before or what? I'm curious and interested. I may find myself trying to manage someone's pain one day who may not want his pain managed..... Good to know about how it's gone down for other folks. Know what I mean?

linz

When you're in pain, and the doc prescribes you oxycontin, dilaudid or hydromorph contin, for pain control, you usually do what the doc says, and take the drugs at the prescribed interval. I mean, who am i to question the doc's judgement? :( You have no mean of knowing the effects of a drug, until the time it is prescribed to you, and you take it for some time. When you're in pain, if a drug does not kill you, you just figure it's OK to take it, and the last thing you do, is question your doc's judgement, even if the drug is to be taken by mouth... [:/]

Yves.

When you're in pain, if a drug does not kill you, you just figure it's OK to take it, and the last thing you do, is question your doc's judgement, even if the drug is to be taken by mouth...

Docs usually will ask you how much pain you're having, and *should* use the least amount of medication to control pain. This isn't about questioning judgment at all. Pain control is usually dependent on what a patient says he/she needs. If it were a raging wound infection, then I'd agree with you, but what we're talking about is pain. It's subjective. If a person's taking pain medicine by mouth, then he's obviously not in a coma. Bozo didn't like OxyContin and he didn't keep taking it--because he did not like it's effects (if I'm understanding you right bozo). Patients discuss their need for more/less pain medicine with their doctors all the time. I'm wondering what's different in this situation.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Calvin19

I'm glad you were able to break your addiction and that your life is returning to your normal. You seem to have a lot of motivation.

But... you should have some level of personal responsibility in this issue. Displacing the blame to the "Fucking Doctors" who were just trying to care for you and make you comfortable after your accident is a bit off. Yes... meds do have side effects. That's why A.T. Still broke away from the Allopathic (MD) philosophy and started Osteopathic Medicine. But meds do have their uses (pain sucks and forcing a patient to be in pain for any reason besides his/her direct refusal of medicaion is WRONG). Everything comes with risks and consequences. Everything. You took the risk prior to the accident. And with time, the anger over the consequences will, hopefully, go away. Good luck with that.

Karen

Bozo didn't like OxyContin and he didn't keep taking it--because he did not like it's effects (if I'm understanding you right bozo).
linz

Exactly right Doc. Oxy is the most powerful controlling stuff they ever gave me. I cant even imagine being addicted to that stuff.
The pain was gone but so was bozo.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.