WooHoo

Colored Line?

My Buddy who is a paraglider, invited me to go to his cluba nd do a days training. The canopies are huge and fly differently, I biffed the first landing, as the falre is very different, anyhow I notices the A BC and D lines were fillerent colors as were the brake lines.

This made it easier to untangle the spaghetti that happened a few times after picking the monster up. I did however like the fact all the lines were color coded, especially the brake lines ( I think BASE canopies have this for ease of identification in case of a line over).

Do any manufacturers offer different colored lines, and could a rigger fit them during a reline upon request.

Also for packing it would surely help some folk like eh....well like me.

Any thoughts?

"Read the small print.............I didn't read the big print!!!!"

Colored lines are cool but with a skydiving canopy, you have a slider to help you take care of that little bit of spaghetti on a much smaller canopy. I personally would prefer small and structural over cool colors any day. Especially when it comes time to pack.

Before the crew dogs jump down my throat. CRW is an entirely different story.

Now, Color coded line attachments are not a bad idea. But I would be the last to ever consider them as a packing aid.

Jeff

My Buddy who is a paraglider, invited me to go to his cluba nd do a days training. The canopies are huge and fly differently, I biffed the first landing, as the falre is very different, anyhow I notices the A BC and D lines were fillerent colors as were the brake lines.

This made it easier to untangle the spaghetti that happened a few times after picking the monster up. I did however like the fact all the lines were color coded, especially the brake lines ( I think BASE canopies have this for ease of identification in case of a line over).

Do any manufacturers offer different colored lines, and could a rigger fit them during a reline upon request.

Also for packing it would surely help some folk like eh....well like me.

Any thoughts?

"Read the small print.............I didn't read the big print!!!!"

The Delta II does, but then its important in how the canopy is packed when using the OSI.
(OK, so its not exactly "modern", but...)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Generally, no.

There are certain line materials available in very limited colours. (eg, the black & red mentioned before, for dacron line). The advanced fibre types generally can't be dyed easily, so they are their natural colour only. (Exceptions exist, eg the blue coated HMA or something like that.)

Paraglider lines are a different case entirely as for regular paragliders the lines consist of an inner unwoven core of whatever material is being used for strength, and a woven sheath that isn't a high performance fiber -- so the sheath can be woven in any colour.

I've probably missed some variation or detail but I think this is a reasonable overview.

That's another thing I like about my old Hornet, is the color coded lines....Steve1

My hornets both had color coded tabs at the attachment points, but not color coded lines. The colored tabs were nice for a novice packer
Owned by Remi #?

That makes sense. The paraglider instructor said the main core of the lines was kevlar based and very stron, the outer sheaths were a covering to protect the core.

So dyeing the sheaths to give whatever colour is needed would not be a major issue. I still think different colour brake lines is a good idea.

PISA made a lot of their canopies with color tabs. Someone up above said something about maybe not making packing easier. It makes it easier for me, especially when I’m in a hurry. It helps me propack just a little bit faster. I also use my canopy (Heatwave 135) to show new jumpers the line groups and where they come from. I
The only other colors I've seen are red, which I had on an old Fury CRW canopy.
Brad

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't consider colored line attachment points packing aids. Some of my first pack jobs were on a Pilot with the colored tabs, and I've personally taught people to pack on the same canopies. I think it's great. It's hardly a replacement for learning propper packing technique, just a suplement, but I think it's really helpful in aiding people to make sense of that big ball of nylon a canopy looks like when you satrt packing.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

The simple answer is yes. I have seen red, blue, and black lines.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You have seen black lines?
Wow!
You must have really great night vision!

Personally, I have a hard time seeing white lines. ... something about them being as easy to spot as polar bears on ice floes ... or is that only a problem for Canadians?

In conclusion, I can understand you never seeing green lines ... something about them blurring into the background of Florida forests.

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't consider colored line attachment points packing aids.

Sean,

I feel the colored attachment points are a very good idea. Some packers can’t have enough packing aids. I personally wouldn’t benefit from them and I don’t feel it’s something that should influence a jumper’s decision when choosing canopy.

As for colored lines, it’s only a personal preference. Multi colored lines are not me. Now all black lines, now that would be cool B| but again is still not something that should influence a jumper’s decision when choosing canopy.

Jeff

I personally wouldn’t benefit from them and I don’t feel it’s something that should influence a jumper’s decision when choosing canopy.

I have bought a canopy with color coded line attachment. I was a nice added value. I have not ever regretted that decision I made.

My BASE canopy, a CR Ace 280, has black dacron lines. The steering lines, center C, and center D lines are red because they are placed inside a tail gate when packing and that makes them easy to find. Some BASE canopies have only the steering lines red for easy identification in the case of a line over.

The black lines were an option at an extra charge, and I was told they are slightly stronger than the white lines.

Has anyone else just thought of putting a little colored dot with markers on the different tabs to identify A,B,C,D, and steering lines? I know it's usually said here not to apply foreign chemicals to your skydiving equipment, but the loose fabric on the outside of the line attachment tabs doesn't seem very critical or load bearing. That way you can buy whatever canopy flies the best and still have color coded tabs.

I also try to recolor my kill line so I can see if it's cocked after the color fades out during use.

That's exactly what we're talking about with the Aerodyne canopies. The Type 4 support tape that makes up the line attachment tabs is a different colour for each line group (A-B-C-D-Steering). It makes teaching PRO packing a lot easier.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.