dmoreton

pd reserve with Atom container

I have a Parachutes de France Atom container and I am considering changing my techno 155 reserve for a PD reserve. Any suggestions on whether this is a good idea?
I jump a Spectra 170 as my main and I think the Atom container is well made. I have recently had some issues with the reserve and dealing with Parachutes de France from the US is a complete nightmare. Any suggestions on a suitable reserve for my Atom?

Well which Atom do you jump. I'm guessing an Atom 0?

But the Techno is a great reserve, I like mine it flies and lands better than a PDR. I wouldn't change it, unless the problem is big enough - what is the problem?

But I thought you couldn't jump PdF stuff anyway if you're from the US..?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There is no problem with one of the Atom containers.
It's just a precaution for ALL atom containers to replace the cutter location from underneath the pilot to above the pilot.
This is not to much work for a rigger.
All it takes is some Type 3 and type 12 and about 45 minutes.

Gr. John J.

I have the Atom 0. I bought my Atom in Europe a few years ago, then moved to the US. Had a problem with the sticky lines and it has taken near 6 months to deal with PdeF to get them changed, and now the reserve is stuck in customs. I can't wait any longer. Looking for alternative options to Techno. As was recognized PdeF do not deal in the US, so all stuff needs to go back to France. But I have had no problem with my Atom, it really is an issue with dealing with PdeF from the US.

Why didn't you go to a local rigger for a re-line?
You could've jumped it the next weekend....

Oh, and yes PdF's stuff is legal to jump in the states (as long as it's TSOed) not all their material is....

But indeed, for some reason they don't sell to the states directly.

Gr. John.

hi, i have an atom legend r 0, with a safire 2 169sft an a 145 sft PD reserve. i can't tell you how it works, i did'nt need it yet. but i was recommended the pd reserve by my instructors and the store guy where i bought my gear und my rigger had no problem at all with that choice.

Why didn't you go to a local rigger for a re-line?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Repairs to certified components are "major repairs" that can only be done by Master Riggers and only if the factory approves it.
Re-lining a reserve is a major repair and must be covered by TSO paperwork.
Few factories trust few riggers to do that - extensive a repair - outside the factory.

For example, even though I hold FAA Master Rigger and Canadian Rigger B ratings - that allow me to do major repairs on most components, I have never done anything more than a small, simple patch (in the middle of a panel) to a reserve canopiy. Anything more complicated ... I send to the factory.

In comparison, I have patched hundreds of main canopies, stopping short of replacing panels or ribs.

Yeah I know,
a Senior rigger can replace 1 line and take all lines from the links but not replace all lines in one job.
A master rigger can unless the mfg. says otherwise.

I've done my share of minor and major repairs also and wouldn't hesitate to re-line a reserve specially not when a complete line set is available.
But when the mfg says no, it's no.
Nevertheless in this situation I would e-mail them, explain the hassle and try to get a (one time) approval and a complete line set.

But hey, that's me, bothering everyone ;)