swedishcelt

digital camcorder advice: what to buy when you're not using it for skydiving

from what it sounds you probably don't need a whole lot...

An entry level sony or canon is probably just fine.

something like the Sony HC-36.

another alternative would be a harddrive camera of some kind cause you wouldn't have to consume DV tapes (as I understand it reusing the tapes tends to put additional wear on the recording heads...) the videos will be easily transferable to your computer (very organized) and since you aren't planning to use the camera for skydiving you won't have that pesky problem of the Hard Drives breaking due to rapid pressure changes (i.e freefall)

I hope this helps. :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

another alternative would be a harddrive camera of some kind cause you wouldn't have to consume DV tapes (as I understand it reusing the tapes tends to put additional wear on the recording heads...) the videos will be easily transferable to your computer (very organized) and since you aren't planning to use the camera for skydiving you won't have that pesky problem of the Hard Drives breaking due to rapid pressure changes (i.e freefall)

Picture quality really suffers with these hard drive camcorders (or dvd camcorders).

A miniDV tape (1 hour) is equilivent to 13gb of data. None of these disk units I've seen yet comes with that much storage. They have to compromise on picture to achieve space equal to just a single tape. (And you can carry more than one!)

look on e-bay! your not gonna get quality with out money, that pretty stright up....i suggest a digital camera, one you can take video with, its the best of both worlds with enough memory! i have a HP photosmart r927 digital camera, with a 1gb sd card, can take up to 45min of video on the lowest setting with good sound too, i love it!