councilman24

Quasar II's with steel flap springs grounded

I've just received a copy of the service bulletin from Strong. It will be published shortly or I'll post it. But, all Quasars II's with the steel springs need to go back to Strong for modification at no cost. DO NOT JUMP QUASAR II's WITH STEEL RESERVE FLAP SPRINGS (PRO SYSTEM) BEFORE BEING SERVICED AT STONG!

This is a result of a problem that I found with a customer's Quasar II here in Michigan. Strong Ent. has been investigating the issue and the appropriate fix in a quick and timely manner. They first saw the rig two weeks ago yesterday.

This post just to get the word out. More later.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes, as Terry posted, effective immediately, the Quasar II is temporarily grounded, it includes all Quasar IIs, pre-Flinger as well, requiring a modification of the reserve tray. Attached is a copy of both our Press Release and the Service Bulletin (#26) that address both the problem, and the solution.

I have sent Sangiro copies of both asking that they be placed on the front page of www.dropzone.com to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Please feel free to contact Strong Enterprises with any questions via email at: [email protected] or calling the factory (407) 859-9317, Monday through Friday 8;30am-4:30pm.

Best Regards,
Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

Strong Ent. has been investigating the issue and the appropriate fix in a quick and timely manner. They first saw the rig two weeks ago yesterday.

Unfortunately, they have been aware of the issue since last year, not just 2 weeks ago. Not exactly a "quick and timely manner".

Derek

terry, I own and currently jump quasarII ser.#611191 D.O.M. nov06, that has the P.R.O. spring steel in the left and right closing flaps on the reserve.

I have been to strong ent. website and there is no information or technical bulletins posted to collaborate with your thread.

understand that in no manner am I questioning your qualifications or integrity as a rigger.

"DO NOT JUMP QUASAR II's WITH STEEL RESERVE FLAP SPRINGS (PRO SYSTEM) BEFORE BEING SERVICED AT STONG!"

seems extremly vague,

and I am concerned having over 50 jumps on my rig since nov06, and had plans to jump tommorow and this weekend.

care to elaborate any more on the subject.

respectfully,
alex.f
a concerned strong enterprises quasarII jumper
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

terry, I own and currently jump quasarII ser.#611191 D.O.M. nov06, that has the P.R.O. spring steel in the left and right closing flaps on the reserve.

I have been to strong ent. website and there is no information or technical bulletins posted to collaborate with your thread.

check Dualhawk's posts 2 posts above..
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

my apologies gentlemen,

my post went up before terry had added the attachments with the service bulletins to his post

I am currently contacting all quasarII owners (quite a few) I know on my end as well as the riggers at my local DZ's

thanks fellas
and
blue skies and safe gear:D

Perry Farrell

A representative from Stong Ent. added the S.B. and P.R. I was in the middle of something else but wanted to get the word out.

The video was too large to load here. I'll have to find somewhere else to put it. Suggestions? Still photo added.

The service bulletin and press release describe the problem. To make it more clear here is the video of the rig that started the investigation as it performed on the ground when it came in for repack. I assembled this rig last year and this was the first repack. After assembly I pulled the reserve to watch the P.R.O. system work but didn't have the main in the rig.

When I got ready to work on the rig I hung it over one shoulder and pulled the reserve watching the launch. The pilot chute was "caught" by the side reserve flaps. I took still photos of the open reserve container showing as much of the bridle placement etc. as I could. I closed the rig and tried again. This time the PC cleared the container but was very much slowed down and didn't launch very far. I contacted Strong Ent. the next morning. The owner came over the next night, we closed the rig and video taped the deployment with the rig strapped tightly on the owner. Once again the bottom coil of the PC spring was caught by the side flaps. The rig was closed and sent overnight to Strong Ent. after consultation with them.

Various hypothesis were considered according to communications with Strong Ent. Obviously they have concluded the P.R.O. system should be removed from all Quasars as explained in their communications.

Strong Ent. first saw the rig two weeks ago yesterday. They modified the rig removing the springs and sent it back while still investigating the causes. I believed there were additional issues with the reenforcing remaining and we returned the rig to Strong again. The Service bulletin outlines more extensive changes.

The extent of the problem could have been one rig or a set of rigs as the investigation proceeded. The S.B. goes beyond that as the best course of action.

I don't know of any other reports but Stong Ent. has responded to my concern and the comments of myself and the owner quickly.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Not sure you still have it right. Any rig with the P.R.O. system is affected and should have been a Quasar II. I don't think it was added to original Quasars.

Call Strong and double check. But if you have the springs don't jump it until you check.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've uploaded the short (4 sec) video to skydivingmovies.com. User name is the same and it's under malfunctions. It hasn't been approved yet. Also should be found searching on P.R.O.

I apologize for the video quality. It was taken with a PC 105 but is the first video I've captured on my PC and I don't have very good video software. Also a friend compressed it for me and it got worse. But you can see the issue easily. This is the same deployment the still above came from.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I probably don't have it right...:S
I'm talking about an original quasar (two of them in mind) that was sent back to Strong for up-dates of some sort and they also added the "flingers" is what I think they first called it....the springs added on the reserve flaps.
But I'll call strong. Thanks. :D

Are skydivers required to comply with service bulletins?

No, SB's are not mandated by the FAA. An example is the Sun Path main lift web SB. The FAA sent out a flyer recommending the inspection, but not mandating it. Some DZ's will not let you jump if a SB is not complied with. This varies from DZ to DZ and SB to SB. Also some riggers will not pack the reserve unless the SB has been complied with.

Derek

If they added flingers to original Quasars either Strong has missed those in the S.B. or they don't believe it's an issue with those. Please call them first thing with the serial number and check. Dualhawk on this thread is a Strong Rep.

Or I have it wrong.:)

Tom, any comment?

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The FAA will no longer issue ANY AD's for parachutes. They have determined that parachutes don't meet the criteria for the AD program. Even when manufacturers ask them to.

We used to get parachute AD's but no more. I believe that Strong Ent. would like this to be an AD so I would treat it as one. And I will treat it as one as a rigger.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Dear Fallingfaster with 200 jumps please look at the jump totals and the license numbers. Now go do the smart thing before you join the incident reports in parachutist. It was my rig that started this mess but I want to jump smart not like you.

I, like many others, put a bunch of jumps on my rig before this SB. The risk would be exactly the same if I were to jump it this weekend with full knowledge of the SB, as it would the previous months I've been jumping it.

I have no desire to add excessive risk

Or for that matter, to expose myself to undue risk. Which is why I've unpacked my reserve. Enjoy this video comparing my rig's (a 1997 QII, modified at the factory with PRO and other options 9/2006) reserve openings with the main in and out of the pack tray. I hope you especially enjoy the happy hardcore music that seems to fit so well. . . B|

http://idisk.mac.com/tdauto-Public/quasarreserve.mov

Oh, and please note my impressive use of commas, which serves to add clarity to my thoughts.

is it just me or does the 'main in pack tray' deployment look incredibly hampered? the spring barely clears the pack before it just falls to the floor as opposed to the first where it goes a good 5ft

sorry mate but i think your video confirms the validity of the concerns.

if it was just your life, i wouldnt mind, we all accept our own risks no matter how large, but there are people that would have to clean you up...

I, like many others, put a bunch of jumps on my rig before this SB. The risk would be exactly the same if I were to jump it this weekend with full knowledge of the SB, as it would the previous months I've been jumping it.

I have no desire to add excessive risk

Or for that matter, to expose myself to undue risk. Which is why I've unpacked my reserve. Enjoy this video comparing my rig's (a 1997 QII, modified at the factory with PRO and other options 9/2006) reserve openings with the main in and out of the pack tray. I hope you especially enjoy the happy hardcore music that seems to fit so well. . . B|

http://idisk.mac.com/tdauto-Public/quasarreserve.mov

Oh, and please note my impressive use of commas, which serves to add clarity to my thoughts.

yeah there goes a couple weekends without the rig, P/C hesitation on reserve is bad news.:|
Perry Farrell

Your deployment with the main in is what happens when is doesn't get completely captured. The PC's momentum is stopped and it falls to your feet, when standing. The top of the PC actually has to turn sideways partially to go between the flaps. Then the base coil hits the flaps and with only momentum to get past the flaps is either captured or stopped.

During the investigation a quick and dirty fix of just removing the steel still resulted in a similar deployment in my hands. The reenforcing webbing that held the steel was enough to retard the PC. Hence the S.B. will include removing that reenforcing, the addition of a kicker flap and a new PC with a smaller bottom diameter.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE