77r

Riggers: What's the best way to clean a container?

1. Ask the manufacturer.

2. Search the forum and find lots of answers (I recommend not bothering with this, and just refer to #1 above). But searching will give you LOTS of responses to this oft-asked question.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1849582;search_string=wash%20rig;#1849582

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Assuming you're buying a used rig, why not just ask your rigger to do it for you. You'll be wanting them to inspect, install and pack your reserve and the AAD anyway, so a good bath could be seen as a "one shot" expense in the overall process. And then you can pick up an inspected, packed and squeaky clean rig that's ready to roll.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Short answer: Have a rigger do it. If you really want to do it yourself, wash it in a tub with Woolite. rinse it a LOT, and dry it out of the sun. Sealing off the metal tubes won't do anything; they're not waterproof to begin with.

;) Land on your feet. ;)

(Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject.)
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

For spot cleaning:

STEP ONE: Let the soiled area dry (Do not attempt to clean a fresh moist or wet stain).

STEP TWO: Spray on a mixture of Simple Green and water mixed 50/50 (You can use Simple Green straight but you would be wasting it. Less than a 50/50 mix may not lift stubborn stains).

STEP THREE: Use a clean laundry brush or firm bristle tooth brush to lift the stain. (the foam should turn the color of the staining substance)

STEP FOUR: Use a dry or slightly damp cloth to dab the dirty foam from the rig.

REPEAT AS NEEDED

This is all you need to do. This procedure will work for virtually any stain, new or old, regardless of the type of staining substance (dirt or mud, grass, blood, bug juice, whatever). Simple Green is a biodegradable and non-toxic liquid. It will not hurt nylon at any concentration.
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

For complete rig cleaning:

STEP ONE: Remove anything that can be removed (disassemble the main and reserve from the container, remove ripcords, closing loops, etc.)

STEP TWO: Use a laundry brush to remove dried surface stains (follow my spot cleaning procedures for tough stains. See previous post in this thread).

STEP THREE: Soak the rig in the bathtub using warm to hot water with any mild household soap (Woolite works OK, I find that cheap dish detergent works the best). You want the water to be pretty foamy but not like one of those TV bubble baths.

STEP FOUR: Agitate by hand. Use a brush on heavily soiled areas.

STEP FIVE: Allow to soak until the water turns dirty. No more then two hours shoutld be needed. IT IS NOT NECESSARY, OR EVEN DESIRABLE TO ALLOW THE RIG TO SOAK OVERNIGHT!

STEP SIX: Rinse with COLD water until the water runs clear.

STEP SEVEN: Drip Dry. Use your palms or a clean towel to remove excess water from pads, etc. (Do not ring out or twist the material) This part of the procedure may take anywhere from several hours to overnight depending on the humidity in the air.

STEP EIGHT: Use a blow dryer to dry areas adjacent to any metal fittings that were not removable.

Note: This procedure can be performed by anyone but I generally recommend having you rigger do it. Its a messy pain in the ass as it is.

STEP SEVEN: Drip Dry. [...] This part of the procedure may take anywhere from several hours to overnight depending on the humidity in the air.

I'll add that in some conditions it takes even longer to dry, especially deep down in multi layer fabric, webbing, and foam areas.

So I like to add a fan in front of the rig to keep the air circulating to speed drying.

I'd add that I've never seen a rig that was close to dry in several hours! Allowing a few days is a good idea.

You must never have washed (and dried) a rig in Southern California. I live in the Pacific Northwest where theres always humidity in the air. If I wash a rig in the morning, quite possibly it's dry by that evening. Usually it takes until the next day. The trick is to periodically pat or dab the moisture out of the fabric of the rig as it dries.

For complete rig cleaning:

THANKS

I remember taking our rigs (late '80's) to the car wash....

One thing I know from a couple years ago is you can't hide stains by painting your rig (true story - a new jumper bought a rig from a website ad and gave it to our rigger for inspection and pack. The container was spray painted black. scary. underneath it was neon green and neon pink as far as we could tell - more scary.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I remember taking our rigs (late '80's) to the car wash....

That's Old School, bro! I've never done that but my brother use to tell me about times when they would take the jumper with his rig still on to the car wash for a hose job after a particularly bad landing.

for a hose job after a particularly bad landing.

That's pretty harsh. But I guess if you torture someone enough, they'll learn to land better.

And the nice part is, now that you're at the car wash, you can wash the rig after the beating.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I talked to factory reps at both Mirage and Jav, then combined their instructions. Bathtub, woolite or other fabric softener, rinsing lots, several fans. It's always worked for me that way.

at this point I have washed about 3 BASE containers and about 10 skydiving containers. I have to say that I find woolite + bathtub (and a little shout for real dirty parts) does a hell of a lot better job then a washing machine. I feel that I can micro-manage the "wash cycle" and that a toothbrush can really get the job done well in small areas. Also, FWIW the bright yellow toggles that many of us have - 5 minutes of shout and a good rinsing does wonders !.

hope this helps...