JRock

Bartenders... need some advice.

Fake it (study a bartending mixed drinks book). Thats what I did and wah lah!! I am a bartender. Of course that was years ago that I did the "fake it" part:ph34r:.......I have dabbled in the business off and on over the years and lately its been on again. I bartend at weddings and such. Its easy money (good too) and its a hell of alot of fun.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Purchase a large and varied supply of alcohol and mixers. Get a bartender's bible. Experiment with it, drinking each one until you've got the recipes down. Repeat often to maintain your skill level.

It'll be amazing when you can mumble suggestions to people via your remaining brain cells about what is good and what isn't.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If you are in california, you i believe you need some sort of bullsh... certificate. can go to ABC bartending school is a good one, also All American Bartending schoo. one of them was a student from the other who opened his own. those are the two that were suggested to me when i was thinking about becoming one. .. or some community Jr. colleges have a bartending thing, its like 6 weeks. good luck
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Depending on what kind of bar you are looking to work at will depend on what kind of drinks you'll have to make.

I started out at a bar back/waitress and learned how to make drinks from the bartender. Is there a place you can bar back at, and then work your way up?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

What she said.

My son started as a barback (the guy who totes the beer and liquors in, washes glasses -- all the glamor stuff). By showing initiative, he got to bartender pretty quickly. Now he's the lead bartender, partly in charge of deciding who gets promoted and who gets hired. Initiative and an energetic approach to being a barback is definitely the way in the back door. Previous experience is the way in the front door. Turnover is reasonably high, so it's not an incredibly long wait.

Good luck; he loves it, and the money's pretty good.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)