skydiverek

--> AWESOME Rigging Publication for download

Here it is! It is not so known (Google finds only six websites on the Internet that refer to the pdf's name).

Written in 2005 by Sandy Reid, TONS of gear info, COLOR photographs of equipment, useful tips and info. Download it for FREE from here:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-H-8083-17.pdf

344 pages, 45 MB!

edited: same document, better working server:

http://www.parachutemanuals.com/Other/FAA-Handbook-8083-17.pdf

:)
P.S. Moderator - please make that sticky. Everyone can learn from this, from novice to advanced!

Yes it is a good book to read. I'll note for others that if one prefers a paper copy, it is available from Skydiving Book Service (from the Skydiving magazine folks, skydivingmagazine.com). Quite pricy, but one gets a full colour, spiral bound printout on heavy paper.

This is old news. I posted the link on dz.com almost a year ago. But, my postings from Jan to may 2006 seem to be missing. I was going to rag on you but the threads aren't there to find. Don't have a clue why. This was first shown publically at the Jan 2006 PIA Business meetings. Paragear has hard copies for sale as well as other. I printed my at work before I got laid off a year ago.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

This is old news. I posted the link on dz.com almost a year ago. But, my postings from Jan to may 2006 seem to be missing. I was going to rag on you but the threads aren't there to find. Don't have a clue why.

There was problems with the indexing part of this site around that time and it looks like all those posts may not be available through the search engine. I'll post in Bug Reports and see if we can't get Sangiro to sort it out.

I printed my at work before I got laid off a year ago.;)

I printed a copy off about a month ago at work. Black/White though... Went into a 3 ring binder nicely!:)
wouldnt mind a color copy. Might pick one up sooner or later.

Goes great with the Parachute Manual vol. 1 & 2.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

This is old news. I posted the link on dz.com almost a year ago. But, my postings from Jan to may 2006 seem to be missing. I was going to rag on you but the threads aren't there to find. Don't have a clue why. This was first shown publically at the Jan 2006 PIA Business meetings. Paragear has hard copies for sale as well as other. I printed my at work before I got laid off a year ago.;)

I remember you posting about it, but I also know that indexing is broken here on dz.com, and it is not possible to find these posts, that's why I posted it 'again' :)

I just found FedEx Kinko's online printing services. Take any PDF file that you have on your computer and you can upload it to their site and order a hardcopy made.

I just "printed" the latest version of the Sigma manual this way, but was able to add some features that would have been difficult to do on my own. (I did mash all the individual files together and it was still smaller than the V3 manual. I used Acrobat, but I'm pretty sure the FedEx website will do this for you.)

First I got the coil binding. Unlike the cheaper comb binding, this allows me to open the manual and reverse it back on itself. With the coil binding I went big and had vinyl covers put on it (clear front, black back). $4 for the binding. About $1 for the covers. In other words, the income from a main pack job.

Next I was able to add tabs to the manual. This way I can flip immediately to the reserve packing instructions, the SkyHook instructions, or the Main instructions without thinking. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but like $0.15 per tab. But they were printed all nice and were inserted in the right place during the binding process.

I am fortunate to have a FedEx Kinko's on my way home from work, so I just picked up the finished product. If you don't, it is FedEx. For a few extra bucks, get FedEx ground to drop off your order.

What's all this cost? For the Sigma manual (174 pages) in black and white, double-sided, 100% recycled paper, and all the features described: $20. No it isn't free, like the office copier, but I didn't have to do any of the assembly and walked away without guilt.

I asked about FedEx delivery when I picked up my order. The guy said the website would estimate that in for you, but shipping from CO to MT would have been about $10.

I know the manufacturers like their pretty color photos for people reading the manual online or for the official printed manual that aren't done on copiers, but for the rest of us, make sure the printouts translate into black and white. The same manual in color would have been over $100.

For those of you without a copier at work and are tired of file folders of stray manual pages that you printed on your ink jet printer, this is a great option. Get the entire manual printed and bound in a rigger friendly format.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm