PapaSmurf

David Hersey Stories - Woodstock, CT etc.

Dear Skydiving Family,

We are looking for David Hersey stories for the fundraiser on May 11th (see events forum for details). He is an amazing rigger, jumper and person and we would like to document some of his life. David has spent the last few years, sleeping under the rigging table at Skydive New England, just because he likes being at the DZ.:)
Thanx! muchly! &

Blueskys!!!

Josh "Papa Smurf" Wolfe D-5824

David's been a fixture at PIA symposiums. That where we became aquainted. He was there in Feb. on a scooter. I was really bummed to here he had ALS but he was as up beat as ever. David once again earned his rigger continuing education certificates.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My one Dave Hersey story...

Up in the SNE loft, a rigger is assembling my new rig and I'm watching it all go on. Dave is packing a reserve and watching whats going on, but not saying much. As the rigger is putting my Vigil in, Dave looks at the rig, looks at me, and asked dramatically "So...why'd you decide to go with experimental equipment?"

See you there Papa Smurf...

hehehehe!!! Reminds me of a story. :)
A liitle backgound;

I've spent a few years jumping at the same drop zone where David was rigging. Both David and I have long hair except I'm bald, bearded, and short with long hair, David is tall and has very, very long hair. Anywho, here's what would hapen most weekends when we where at the DZ.

Some newbie would have a function, need repair work, or a repack. They would ask someone "Who's the rigger?" and the reply was always, "See the guy who looks like JC". So, I'd be talking and packing or talking and looking at the fine views around the DZ, or just shooting the breeze, and some newbie would come up to me and ask " Can you fix this for me ?" or "How much is a repack"? ". The answer I gave was always the same.

"You can find JC upstairs in the rigging loft." :)
Blueskys!!!

Papa Smurf

Howdy Fellow Skydivers,

David's Ash & Glitter Dive.
Dates are July 24th / Rain date July 25th, if both rained out - August 21/22.
Skydive New England, Lebanon, ME.
A few open slots will be raffled off on the day of the jump.

If you bring a plane, we can do formation loads. 8*)

We are going to "paint the sky" for David.

Thanx! All,

P. Smurf