NWFlyer

Analysis of Scuba Fatality - Familiar Themes to Skydivers

topdocker

Thanks Kevin!

Wise because I will walk away from a dirt dive, a plane loading, or ride the plane down. When it feels wrong it's probably gonna go wrong. If you are truly brave, you stand in the face of others when you feel they are risking your life, their life, and the lives of others unnecessarily.

People need to know when to say no and walk away. Being green, with shy over 200 jumps, I know I am still very much new to this sport.

There was one time my mind, and gut were saying something didn't feel right. In addition a friend was pressuring me onto a jump because he didn't want to jump alone, I should not have let peer pressure affect my thought process.

As when shit goes wrong its usually a chain of events. it was a helicopter jump, I opened low, and had a break fire which threw my pulse 170 into line twists. Because of the line twists I couldn't unstow the other toggle, and was corkscrewing towards the ground. I ended up chopping at 1600ish feet.

While 1600 is low, if you think in a few more seconds i would have been risking my reserve not opening in time. I should have never gone on that jump and I challenged my own instincts.

A few things I learned from this
1] trust your gut and stay down, only jump when truly comfortable
2] dont let friends peer pressure you into a jump, walk away if you have to
3] prepare yourself in advance about how you will react in a mal when you know it might be a lower than normal opening (balloon, heli, etc).

and one more, just because. when you're under your reserve focus on T.A.P. someone on the ground hopefully would have spotted your main. regardless mains are disposable dont think about them until you're on the ground safe.