boz2841

Canopy Size

I was wondering what the difference is between a 230 and a 220 sized canopy are without the obvious size and wingload. I recently placed an ad for a 230 sized canopy and people keep telling me they have a 220 I could buy. The wingload would be 1 and 1.0454 respectively for a 230 and a 220 for me. WOuld there be a huge difference in handling ect...Thanks

Are they the same make of canopy? There are only a few 220's that I can think of and most of them are older designs. Nothing wrong with them but they do fly slightly different then newer designs.

What are the two canopies?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>WOuld there be a huge difference in handling ect...Thanks

There are no canopies I know of that have both a 230 and a 220 size. So there's no direct comparison.

You will be MUCH happier with a Spectre 230 than a Cruislite 220. On the other hand, a Silhouette 230 will seem faster than a Navigator 220; the Navigator might be a better choice if you're worried about speed. OTOH the Silhouette is a great canopy. Hard to say without knowing the canopies. Does that make any sense?

I know its slightly smaller but I have a Silhouette 210 which flies lovely. Very predictable and stable feeling. Can induce some fun into it but nothings too dramatic. Perfect for where I am right now in the sport :)

Out of the three canopies listed there, I would take the Triathlon hands down. It's going to have much better performance over it's lifespan as it's a ZP canopy and the other two are not.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If your choices are a new Raider 220, new PD230 and new Tri-220 I'd go with the PD230. If your choices are older versions of those canopies (say, >400 jumps) I'd go with the Tri-220. It will last longer and flare better at >400 jumps.

I appriciate everybodies help but I think maybe I didn't make my original question clear or maybe it just doesn't matter. I wanted to know as a newbe how much of a difference would I see between buying a 230 sized canopy and a 220 canopy the wingload would be 1 and 1.0454 respectively. I am 210lbs. So would it be to big a difference to buy a 220 as opposed to a 230 since it is recommended a newbe stay at or below 1.0 wingload. Thanks again

Are you 210 with or with out gear? larger gear is 25-30 pounds so keep that in mind. Reality is you will see some difference but a lot of the difference will be since it is two different designs. Its hard to quantify your answer. If you are looking for a "you'll be fine" answer, talk to your instrcuctors, not random people online that might not even actually skydive ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>I wanted to know as a newbe how much of a difference would I
>see between buying a 230 sized canopy and a 220 canopy . . .

A PD230 will fly at about the same speed as a Tri-220. The Tri will flare better. The PD will glide better if it's new, and you'll also be likely get good landings out of it. If it has lots of jumps (say over 600) you'll see its performance start to degrade. The Tri will last longer before you see any degradation.