jimmytavino

Going BACK to a legstrap deployment p. c. pouch

Wonder if the jumper ever gets confused at pull-time... which side did I (or did the packer) pack my pilot chute on..

Clay in Byron has a pull-out that can be mounted on either side. He uses either one without issue but I'm sure it happens.

If you're in a position that a handle location is required, then change it and use it. The usual location would be for loaning out the rig.

Do handle touches often, especially just before climbout.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

What about a front mounted ripcord with a spring loaded p/c?

I think John Rich jumps one.

S.

Yup...he does, on a brand new Racer! B|

Fine example of " if it isn't broken, don't 'fix' it.

I like the way Mr Rich thinks.....;)

Never had a problem with pins and cones, or MA 1s. or cable and housing ripcords...many jumps on a Stylemaster Rig,:S Nice easy to sling reserve clips, many on a " Mini- System" as well :)and when we started jumping para-Plane Clouds ( for me it was '74 ) naturally we went to TWO spring loaded pilot chutes!!!!!;)B|:)
Today however, the collapsible Pc and pouch arrangement would be my personal choice. My concern is simply where to locate it..for ease of reach...
thanks for all the feedback.

PS... Nice design on the double sided pouch, simple, elegant, functional.....safe...:)
jmy

A good friend of mine had 2 horseshoe malfunctions because he had a leg deploy PC while flying video and deploying through the wing.
He was lucky twice. A little slow, I would have changed to BOC after the first Mal and told him so. He said "oh no that won't happen again".
He now has a BOC.
If a leg deploy PC is the only option to keep you flying be careful but keep flying.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

I have been deploying right handed for decades, and muscle memory being what it is,,, I think i'd be too instinctive with right hand and main ripcord.....Plus.... Don't I need my left hand to wave Off???;);)

When I bought my first rig (new), I had my instructor at DeLand jump it - it was a left hand BOC. H'ed over 10,000 jumps right hand pulling, and didn't have an issue ;) I'm sure you'll remember when it comes to pull time. :P

well I did think about left hand B O C but then passed on the idea....:|

I have been deploying right handed for decades, and muscle memory being what it is,,, I think i'd be too instinctive with right hand and main ripcord.....Plus.... Don't I need my left hand to wave Off???;);)

J T

you will have to relearn anyhow where to put your hand so it might as well be a lot safer.... left hand BOC os my idea or get your shoulder fixed...

the 're -learn' back to legstrap is easy...
I opened my Main that way for 15 years or more...and it's the same hand...:)
the 're -learn' for left side,,,,
is a different hand and a different side,,, so maybe not.....( see old dog, new tricks post );):|

Continuing Physical Therapy will help in further recovery, but fixing it with surgery sadly, isn't likely... MRIs confirm serious damage, with arthritis and limited muscle, tissue and ligaments, needed to assure a good repair.
makes me a poor candidate for surgery...
Soooo I'm gonna fix it myself, with work and with time B| and as for the Pilot Chute Pouch?????
just maybe I'll leave the damn thing the way it IS !!!!:P:):ph34r:

:D thankx for the feedback...

jmy

I alternate from left to right all the time - it is not an issue. I have both my wings set up with a left/right pouch to switch to either one. It is easy to transition.

If it took me to 1500' to figure out that it is on the 'other side', then i probably should not be skydiving.

TK

It is an OK system, but we went from that to BOC for a reason - mostly due to poor velcro maintenance (Velcro kills)

Keep your velcro in good shape, always, and it should not be a big deal. Consider going to left hand pull, it was a simple changeover for me.

Jimmy;
I have also got/had a crappy shoulder after dislocating and breaking it in a big way, to make it worse I have sever brain damage on the left side making my strength and dexterity on the broken right side NFG. I could do it fine standing up, but lay me down and it was a struggle.
My solution was go for a leg pouch until I could confidently reach the BOC after a year+ off physio.
The idea of a left deploy was to much retraining to me so the leg was the best way around seeing also that that is what I learned on so going back is always easy:)