Babi

stock canopy

I've received an offer from a dealer for a one and a half years old canopy, never used, for the same price as a brand new custom made one. Is this a fair offer?

As in...the dealer is paying YOU for it? Sure! If you are the buyer, then heck no!

It a good deal if you need a canopy right now. If you can afford to wait, and colors are important to you, then it's not as good a deal.

If you can get the dealer to sweeten the deal a little that's good too. Rather than a discount, maybe you caold see if they'll chuck in a t-shirt or hook knife or something else you need.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've received an offer from a dealer for a one and a half years old canopy, never used, for the same price as a brand new custom made one. Is this a fair offer?

Think!

Hmmm...I can get a brand new custom-colored one or I can get a year-old one....Hmmmmmm.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

A lot of skydiving equipment has horrendous delivery times if you want a custom one, and often there are no stock ones, so it is a sellers market. I hate it, but it is true for both rigs and main canopies. So, you might wonder how long it would take to get a custom canopy. Weigh that against the one that is being offered today. It is curious why a canopy has been sitting around unsold for 1 1/2 years though. Is it that ugly?

I am having nightmare troubles getting a rig and a main.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

As Darkwing brought up, what mfg/model canopy sits around for so long? Being on the shelf that long should warrant an additional discount compared to custom, I would think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Why? Canopies don't age.

Often BECAUSE of horrendous delivery times dealers will place orders for stock.

Sometime's they'll place an order with no details banking on the hope somone will want the item and they can submit the details before the item is started. Somtimes this backfires and a dealer ends up having to submit details and shelve the item.

If you need something in a hurry, it's a good deal, for customer and the dealer. But for a canopy, there really is no value lost because it was "sitting".

Stock canopies, both main and reserve sit on shelves at manufacturers all the time. No one seems to ask THEM for a discount.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My thoughts precisely. If it was only a financing issue, than it is OK, but I have no way of knowing whether it was kept stored properly or not. The manufacturers are more likely to store canopies properly than the dealers.

I was hoping for a reply like: canopies are like cars, the MFD matters, but I did not get it.

I know someone who bought a 10 year old brand new canopy for a fraction of its original value, but the lines broke on his first jump.

But...
I've been following classifieds for over a year now and it seems that there are two factors that determine a fair price:
1) age of a canopy,
2) number of jumps.
So how come all of a sudden age does not matter and canopies do not age???
And what about reserves that are hardly ever used yet they do depreciate??

As in...the dealer is paying YOU for it? Sure! If you are the buyer, then heck no!

Why is it not a good deal?

Why is a stock canopy that has been sitting for a year and a half not worth the same as a custom made canopy that will take 12 weeks to make?

Most of my customers want a stock canopy rather than waiting 12 weeks for a canopy. I as a dealer pay the same price for stock as i do for custom built canopies so why should i make a stock canopy cheaper than a custom made canopy?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've asked for discount and I am waiting for a reply.
I am sure that dealers buy stock so that they can make an instant sale and assure a deal form themselves. They don't buy at the same price as we do.
I suppose I shall have to weigh between an instant purchase in mid season or my own colors and waiting time. I've decided that only a nice discount would go in the favor of an instant purchase.

Dealers buying stock i can not imagine happens often. Unless of course it was a 170, 150 or maybe 190.

When someone like aerodyne makes these canopies for stock they go very fast.

No we do not buy at buy at the same price as you do, though we do not get a discount as big as you may think.
Myself as a dealer, i am not kidding you, i spend so much time on each customer, with the emails, the corrections, the payments, the design etc. When i make a sale there can be alot of work involved and alot of bank fees.

If you see my prices in my online shop, from the profit i make i then pay for the shipping to me, then for the shipping to the customer, the bank transfer fees, usually two lots of transfer fees due to most of my customers paying in split payments... also i must spend at least no less than 5 hours on each order in regards to replying to emails, answering questions from customers, following up orders, going to the bank, going to the post office to pick up the order, taking photos and then uploading photos for the customer, then we try to hand deliver the order to the customer, fuel costs etc or we ship it if too far away.

most dealers have more over heads where they have to pay electricity, rent on the dropzone, credit card fees, advertising so you know they are etc...

Let me tell you, someone like square one make bugger all out of each sale.
Myself, my partner and i have sold a shitload this year and we have not even made a jump each for ourselves. We instead choose to invest any profits in t-shirts, gloves, hoodies etc and give them away.. some might call it marketing, in a way it is but we also get a kick out of hooking people up with gear for a good price and then everyone loves free skydiving clothing.
We enjoy what we do and we do it as a hobbie, that is why we do it, we do not do it for the money at all and any one of my customers would agree with that.

I tell you what, i would be very suprised if this dealer did not knock 10% off this canopy.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store