Fozz

Triathlon openings

Got my first rig and have been packing it for the last 10 jumps. The main is a Triathlon 220, I’m not small and OTD at 255 and have been told I fall like a safe.

I seem to be getting harder openings than I think I should.
This chute seems to go from packed to open in a split second, I've made sure to quarter the slider and it’s as far up the lines as it will go.

The folks at Aerodyne sent me a free CD with the most current info and I seem to be following the packing procedure correctly

I follow the packing instructions in the owners’ manual yet it still seems to stop me instantly

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I should be doing differently? (I haven't been taught anything beyond standard packing)

2. I don't know how to roll the nose is this a reasonable possibility?

3. Will this keep the chute from opening so fast?

4. Is there somewhere I can find the right way to do this?

5. Are there any other alternatives?
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Buy me a plane ticket and i'll come out and give you some packing tips.:D

And it thats not an option, find a packer or rigger and have them go over packing with you. It's a lot easier to learn from a person than a CD or manual.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Sunny

What precisely were you going to teach me ;)(to pack)

well off to do my birthday jumps:P
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Triathlons typically open very soft if they are in trim and packed properly. i have one i use for birdman.

if you are having the problem when other experienced people pack it then i would call sandy at aerodyne and have them check the canopy out, it may need a reline. just one hard opening under even newer linesets can mess with the trim.

the number is 813 891 6300

you shouldnt have to compromise the way it is packed to get the decent openings

Another thing to think about; make sure the slide is the first thing that the air will hit. Pull it out on the front just a little and push the nose behind it. Then lay the canopy down gently, don't just throw it on the ground. This will keep your work together.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Got my first rig and have been packing it for the last 10 jumps. The main is a Triathlon 220, I’m not small and OTD at 255 and have been told I fall like a safe.

This chute seems to go from packed to open in a split second, I've made sure to quarter the slider and it’s as far up the lines as it will go.

John

Does your Triathlon have Spectra or Dacron lines, I'm sure you might have spoken to me on the phone and if so i would have suggested Darcon as it has some stretch to it, and will help with the opening shock.

Even with the wingloading being in the "resonable" zone, your terminal speed will be higher than most, and this could be part of the issues.

Here are some ways to reduce the opening shock.

- Darcon Lines

- Correct Line Stow

- F-111 Pilotchute

- Alternative Packing Method

Please feel free to call me at the office anytime and chat to me or Sandy and we will assist you in this.

Blue Skies
Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
www.flyaerodyne.com

If you have a 220 (not a 210) then you probably have the old style Tri. I have one too. I never had hard...but had some briskish openings. I just had my lines changed and had the 4.0 MOD (ask your rigger) done and it now opens like a dream! It is a massive improvement.

Look at your brake lines....are the outside brake lines attached to the tip (outside corners) of the tail or are they attached one cell inboard?

If they are attached to the outside corners....you have the old style brake line and line trim setting...have a rigger change out the lines with a new 4.0 line set...it will be like flying a totally different parachute. Better openings and better flare. Get dacron lines too...that will make it even better.

If you can't get the line changes yet for $ reasons...be sure to:

1. Have the right Slider
2. Control your slider to ensure it is quartered pulled slightly to the front
3. Roll the nose
4. Consider Psychopacking

But...Get the line mod!!! It is the best $200 investment you can make. I've demo'd a Spectre and I think my Tri opens just as good with the new line mod.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Tris are well-known for soft openings.
Given that all else is good to go...
(pilot chute, slider sizing, line trim)

I find that I can adjust the opening speed on my Triathlons by:
1. Adjusting the nose of the slider in or out
(in faster, out slower)
2. Pushing the nose (not rolled) in or out
(in slower, out faster) but NOT all the way back into the tail!

Rolling the nose is really not needed on a Tri although some do it anyway.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you have a 220 (not a 210) then you probably have the old style Tri. I have one too. I never had hard...but had some briskish openings. I just had my lines changed and had the 4.0 MOD (ask your rigger) done and it now opens like a dream! It is a massive improvement.

Look at your brake lines....are the outside brake lines attached to the tip (outside corners) of the tail or are they attached one cell inboard?

If they are attached to the outside corners....you have the old style brake line and line trim setting...have a rigger change out the lines with a new 4.0 line set...it will be like flying a totally different parachute. Better openings and better flare. Get dacron lines too...that will make it even better.

If you can't get the line changes yet for $ reasons...be sure to:

1. Have the right Slider
2. Control your slider to ensure it is quartered pulled slightly to the front
3. Roll the nose
4. Consider Psychopacking

But...Get the line mod!!! It is the best $200 investment you can make. I've demo'd a Spectre and I think my Tri opens just as good with the new line mod.

GREAT advice...I own an older Tri 220 and now it opens just as sweet as my new Tri 190! :D

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Hey All

First thanks to all for the input

I'm pretty lucky as I have a great Rigger who knows his $#!^ and I caught him Sat at lunch while he had a bit of time.

I walked into Pete Swans shop and explained that I thought I was getting harder openings than I should and wondered if he had time to look things over.

First he asked me to explain what I felt step by step and we went through the opening sequence then he agreed that it seemed to be opening pretty fast.

He asked to look things over and popped the pin

First he felt the pilot was a bit large at 34” fixed. He rummaged around his new digs (just moved in on the first) he decided on a slightly smaller collapsible pilot which he rigged on the spot.

Then he asked me to show him how I stow the lines and it seems the first 2 grommet stows were not as long in the rubber bands as they should have been i.e. I was only leaving about half a hand width and Pete wanted me to change that to a full hand width for the first and second grommets and go to the end of the bag on the other two ALSO only the first and second stows were single wrapped and ALL the rest were DOUBLE WRAPPED so the lines were stowed a slightly tighter

He also suggested I roll the tail a bit tighter when wrapping it up, the nose is still just pushed in to the center

So I went out after these changes and it’s a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT opening and SWEET
So I jumped two more times and it was the same all three times

I’m very very happy with it now

As a side note Pete Swan did the acceptance inspection on this rig when I bought it last month. I asked him to do anything he felt necessary, the lines were 80 jumps old (95 now) and he completed the MOD 4.0 changes to the lines that were relatively new when he inspected it.
I should be noted that Pete mentioned pretty much all the same things that were brought up here and I appreciate every ones constructive inputs

Also I'd like to say how much I appreciated the fast response from Karl and the folks at Aerodyne Research when I first asked for a manual.
John Fosgate
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

I've been renting a Triathlon 175 loaded at 1.26 and it's been slamming the crap outa me every time I jump it. I've decided that I'm not going to tent that rig again unless I absolutely have to. The slider seems particularly small, but for all I know it could be the standard size.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Had a packer split roll my Tri 135 and only half of the canopy opened into a nasty fast spin. I find that my Tri opens better when I don't "roll" anything.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

no, the left side didn't want to open....... i didn't chop, i got mad and got the issue worked out. i had opened higher than norm and had plenty of altitude to work with. serveral hard toggle pumps brought her attitude back in check. the packer stated that he split rolled her - never split rolled her before and never had such a nasty opening. i have found that if you "roll" this Tri, she'll spank you. she just doesn't like it and she'll open hard everytime you do it to her. i use pretty much the same packers all the time (except the one that split rolled her) and in discussing openings, they all came to the same conclusion - don't roll..... period.

Note: this was my 1st jump after witnessing the Dublin incident........... I was being beyond careful, made sure i had good body position during pull time, etc. This packer also packed 3 cutaways in as many weeks. I didn't know THAT prior to them packing for me.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

In the late '90's I bought a new Tri 210, and a year later a new Diablo 190. I always packed both exactly per their packing video. From day 1, the Tri slammed me roughly every second jump. After getting no satisfaction from the mfgr, I finally had a custom over-sized slider built for it. (~15% larger IIRC). That cured it.

By contrast, the Diablo opened soft and slow 99% of the time, packed exactly the same way.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.