Rebecca

"Romantic" Songs

Peter's thread and Tonto's post got me thinking about songs that are practically staples for romantic settings, but are really kinda unromantic or even downright creepy.

1.) You're Beautiful, James Blunt (right?) - I'm stalking and fantasizing about a complete stranger (who already has someone)

2.) Every Breath You Take, Sting - I'm stalking my ex relentlessly. I'm outside her window right now.

3.) Wonderful Tonight - I'm going out with a gorgeous woman who got all dressed up, only I got too drunk to even get myself into bed unaided. Sex is out of the question.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

1.) You're Beautiful, James Blunt (right?) - I'm stalking and fantasizing about a complete stranger (who already has someone)

Actually, I heard him say that it's about his ex-girlfriend who broke up with him and he saw her on the subway with her new beau. Still a little stalkerish though.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Actually, I heard him say that it's about his ex-girlfriend who broke up with him and he saw her on the subway with her new beau. Still a little stalkerish though.

We all need stalkers ... makes us know that we are loved in some weird creepy way :P

Oh. Well, that IS a better option than the complete stranger obsession... :|

Can anyone come up with any other songs?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

There are some others, but I'll limit them to female singers:

One Way or Another by Blondie - (like Deborah Harry ever had to stalk anybody to get some)

I'm the Only One by Melissa Etheridge

Possession by Sarah McLaughlin

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morrisette - exhibit "A" of why restraining orders are sometimes just necessary. Any guy who didn't have the bejeezus scared outta him by this song (and the way it was adored by so many women) "oughta know" that he needs a little more introspection.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"crash" by dave matthews - holy crap i couldn't STAND going to his shows watching all the couples wrap their arms around each other during this song... dave actually said at one show that it was about this guy that was obsessed with this girl and he would watch her through her window - and had all sorts of "naughty thoughts" about her - this is NOT a love song folks - "hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me" is not a very cassanova line
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

And have you noticed that in some of the later live versions of that song he changes "I watch you there through the window" to "I watch you there by the window"?

:D

either way it's still creepy
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

So i heard some stupid teenage girl on the radio wanting to dedicate "Lips of an Angel" to her boyfriend cause she loves him so much. But...ummm....the song is about a cheating boyfriend. Some people.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

So i heard some stupid teenage girl on the radio wanting to dedicate "Lips of an Angel" to her boyfriend cause she loves him so much. But...ummm....the song is about a cheating boyfriend. Some people.

Maybe that was just her really really clever way of telling him she knows he's cheating with his ex... :|

Hey I can dream, can't I? :):D

Maybe that was just her really really clever way of telling him she knows he's cheating with his ex...

Now that i think about it...maybe she is the guy's mistress so in her case it would be romantic. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

He's a local guy in San Diego, so most people don't know the song, but Gregory Page has this album "The Romantic Adventures of Harry" has the HOTTEST song ever. Slow, sexy, I get into it every time I hear it... of course, it is about murdering a prostitute and watching her blood drip down his knife... but what the hell...

Last Night's Lover
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

Watching You - Melissa Ethridge
Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran (pretty scary to read the lyrics...)
Run For Your Life - The Beatles (yikes!!!)
Dance, Girl, Dance - Cinerama
Following - The Bangles (not quite as stalkerish as the others, but it'll do...)
I'm Walking Behind You - Frank Sinatra (my Dad loves Sinatra, what can I say?)
I've Got It In for You - Fleetwood Mac
Come To My Window - Melissa Ethridge
Sussudio - Phil Collins
Suzanne - Randy Newman
Hello, I love you - The Doors
You're All I Need - Motley Crue (ugh....)

Just a few contributions to this thread.

BTW, does anyone know the real backstory to Sara McLaughlin's Possession? I'd heard it was written because of a stalker she had, who'd write her these long, long letters...and then he killed himself.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Watching You - Melissa Ethridge
Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran (pretty scary to read the lyrics...)
Run For Your Life - The Beatles (yikes!!!)
Dance, Girl, Dance - Cinerama
Following - The Bangles (not quite as stalkerish as the others, but it'll do...)
I'm Walking Behind You - Frank Sinatra (my Dad loves Sinatra, what can I say?)
I've Got It In for You - Fleetwood Mac
Come To My Window - Melissa Ethridge
Sussudio - Phil Collins
Suzanne - Randy Newman
Hello, I love you - The Doors
You're All I Need - Motley Crue (ugh....)

Now I know who to turn to for wedding song ideas!:)

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."