77r

Is a 1995 Dolphin worth $300?

Do yourself a favor and buy a real container. Dolphin riser protection is non-existent, for a few extra bucks you can get something decent.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

If you want a container on the cheap many dolphins get listed for sale that have already had the tuck tabs and freefly modifications done.

I just bought one for 250 dollars with all of the modifications and really low jump numbers. I isn't going to be nearly as nice as my Icon, but I am going to be able to build a spare rig for under 1k.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Maybe. Show it to a rigger you trust, pay your rigger for a thorough inspection. The harness really has to fit you correctly, snug and comfortable. The containers should be the right size for the canopies you should be jumping. There shouldn't be ANY velcro holding things together, this is 2007 and there's plenty of good rigs with no velcro on the used market. And the reserve container has to be built to accept an AAD.

You're new at this and you want your own gear so bad you can almost taste it. But now more than ever, it's important to TAKE YOUR TIME making your choice. There are unfortunately a lot of people out there who will sell a bunk rig to a newbie because they know they can't sell it to anyone else. Don't buy anything without a rigger's inspection. Ask the rigger what kind of work, if any, the system will need to bring it up to snuff. Don't get fast talked or pressured, and DON'T be afraid to say "no" and walk away.

If you're patient and careful, you WILL find a real deal on a beauty of a rig. You just don't want to find it a week after you spent all your $$ on a pile of crap.

P.S. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this rig and I have no opinion about the Dolphin brand at all. Your profile says you jump at Eloy, so talk to the Square2 gear shop and jump their demo rigs. See how you like the different brands. All this can help you choose a safe rig that you will love because it makes you happy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Better yet, call Mike at Altico 352-523-0052 and he'll let you know how long the mods will take and how much they will cost. Knowing the mods that will most likely need to be done, you're looking at $300-500 to be brought up to date. I own 3 Dolphins, am very happy with all of them and had the mods done to one by Mike relatively cheap several years ago. A rigger can do the mods, however, Mike does it all day every day and can do it much quicker and cleaner.

Kaye

If it is 300 + 300-500 dollars in mods then I don't think it is worth it in that case. 800 bucks for a 12 year old dolphin doesn't seem like a great deal to me.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Better yet, call Mike at Altico 352-523-0052 and he'll let you know how long the mods will take and how much they will cost. Knowing the mods that will most likely need to be done, you're looking at $300-500 to be brought up to date. I own 3 Dolphins, am very happy with all of them and had the mods done to one by Mike relatively cheap several years ago. A rigger can do the mods, however, Mike does it all day every day and can do it much quicker and cleaner.

Kaye

Thanks, that's good information for 77r to know.

Just to be really clear, I'm not prejudiced in the least about Dolphins, I know a few people who own them and are very happy with them. But the age and price were raising some possible red flags, especially as to whether this rig is freefly friendly or not.

Too many gear hungry newbies make snap decisions on old gear that doesn't fit them, doesn't fit the canopies they should be jumping, and needs too much work, because "the price sounds right". Case in point, a friend of mine can sell you a really CLEAN Wonderhog Sprint, with a Fury main and a SAC reserve, probably less than 200 jumps on the system. But he won't, because he has a conscience.

You newbies out there - PAY a rigger for a full inspection before you buy ANYTHING and LISTEN to what the rigger tells you. If the rigger doesn't think you're getting a sweet deal, then you aren't and you should keep looking.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Kaye

I bought a 98 Dolphin a year or so ago for about 250-300. I got in touch with Mike who re-sized it to fit me exactly, made it freefly friendly and pretty much modified the whole rig to match their latest design. Including shipping to Australia it cost me around $360. He did additional updates to velcro and stuff for free. Mike is a champion, get in touch with him! I feel like I have a brand new customized top of the line rig for really cheap!