SkyDaemon

New packing machine

Well... it's finally here...

What does this mean for riggers?
---

A new startup company based in Albania has pre-announced their intent to release the world's first parachute packing machine. Rigging involves carefully following prescribed procedures in manufacturer's instructions, while applying a decision support tree to handle exceptions.

The company has preferred to remain anonymous until the final release of this new product at which point they will issue a press release regarding which parachute models it is compatible with and which parachute manufacturers are on board as strategic partners.

However to lend credibility to the product Poytner has already begun an addendum to "The Parachute Manual" discussing the processs by which this new technology can be used.

Addendum A Packing Machine
A. Comment
Packing parachutes according to manufacturer's instructions is critical to successful rigging. Prior to April 1st, 2007 this procedure was a labor intensive process. The packing machine does not change FAA law and parachutes may still only by packed by certificated riggers with applicable ratings, although use of the parachute packing machine is permitted if and only if the rigger is certified in use of the machine.

B. Applicable Parachutes
Only parachutes that have been approved by both the manufacturer of the parachute and of the manufacturer of the packing machine may be packed using the packing machine. Only certificated riggers with the appropriate type rating and that are certified in use of the packing machine may use the packing machine to pack the parachute.

C. Applcable Containers
Only those containers that have been approved by the manufacturer of the container and by the manufacturer of the packing machine may be packed using the packing machine. Only certificated riggers with the appropriate type rating and that are certified in the use the packing machine may use the packing machine to pack the parachute into the container.

D. Repairman
Senior or Master parachute rigger.

E. Materials
1. Approved parachute (by both the manufacturer of the parachute and of the manufacturer of the packing machine)
2. Approved container (by both the manufacturer of the container and of the manufacturer of the packing machine).
3. rigger lead seal
4. rigger seal die
5. seal thread

E. Machines
1. FAA approved packing machine

F. Equipment
1. Parachute manufacturer's digital packing instructions
2. Container manufacturer's digital packing instructions
3. Instruction manual for the packing machine
4. Digital identification to operate the packing machine

G. Time
10 minutes (Depending on the type of parachute, container, and state of repair)

H. Procedure
Procedure varies per container/parachute combination.

----

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Yawn, This April Fools joke is old enough to drink beer and vote in all 50 states.

Still I'm sure some of the new crowd hasn't heard it yet.:D
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Know what was funnier? The seminar at the 2003 PIA of the French built "Packing Machine" for thire military rigs.

I think I even saw Bill Booth trying to stifle his laughter durring the demonstration.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Know what was funnier? The seminar at the 2003 PIA of the French built "Packing Machine" for thire military rigs.

I think I even saw Bill Booth trying to stifle his laughter durring the demonstration.:P

Tell us more!
"We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance."
http://bancomicsans.com

The economics of it are silly. I think a packing machine would have to find a REALLY busy dropzone in order to have enough business to pay for itself. Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing this as a solution to a problem that never existed.

K.I.S.S.
=========Shaun ==========

the question for me (other than whether or not this contraption exists) is would you trust a pack-job done by a machine that didnt require so many human check stages that it may as well be packed by a human?
not sure i would,

and... (im sure ive seen this as somebodies sig line) if you could teachmonkeys to pack, would you let one pack for u? :P

the question for me (other than whether or not this contraption exists) is would you trust a pack-job done by a machine that didnt require so many human check stages that it may as well be packed by a human?
not sure i would,

and... (im sure ive seen this as somebodies sig line) if you could teachmonkeys to pack, would you let one pack for u? Tongue

What is the point buying an expensive packing machine if someone would pack for $5? Human labor is cheaper and more trusted as you told so.