diveout

Fury stabilizers

I have a Fury 220 that I'm loaning to a friend. I saw it flown today and noticed that the stabilizers flap and dance ALOT. IT looks like they need more tension on them.

I was looking at them and thinking there are several um..."options" for dealing with this problem.

Anybody fix the stabilizer flap on a Fury before?

I can't imagine it is designed to fly like with them flapping like they do.

"Stabilizer slack" is the mfr's dimensional difference between (1) the height of the stab and (2) the point at which it is attached to it's respective line. These two measurements are taken from the line- attachment at the bottom skin to the bottom edge of the stabilizer. Kinda hard to measure after the lines are installed; you can't pull the stabilizer tight because the line will draw tight first (hopefully!). With enough patience, you can get an accurate measurement.

Anyway, you need to have the mfr's spec on these dimension to know if the lines have been attached correctly. A mfr defect or sloppy reline could result in too much (or too little) stablizer slack. Contact the mfr for the correct slack dimension for each line attachment and see if that's the problem. If it's outa trim, a rigger can carefully cut the stitching at the bottom edge of the stab (near the slider stop) and re-attach the line at the proper point.

Keep in mind that a big-ass 7-cell canopy is gonna have much bigger stabs than a more modern design of higher aspect ratio. By comparison, these are gonna look a lot more "sloppy" in the air.;)

I very much doubt they need more tension. I expect they "inflate" when flaring or in brakes and so probably do their job. The danger in messing with them is loading the stabilizer before the line. I'd expect this to tear it off the canopy.

Leave it be.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I very much doubt they need more tension.

Leave it be.

Why do you advise against taking a simple measurement that could remove this doubt?:|

At least one mfr has issued a SB because of insufficient stab slack built into a canopy and I have personally needed to re-trim the stabs on a main canopy that was poorly re-lined.

If this is just a matter of the viewer's perception of the canopy in flight, then at least there's something to be learned in the process of inspection.

The Fury has a design just as Terry pointed out. The Stabilizers are "loose" to help the canopy maintain its deep brake approached stability.

Yes measure them, but i think the OP will find them in compliance.

Having jumped a Furry a few times and even one a rigger "fixed", tightening the fabric only caused the fabric to fail and did not "fix" any thing.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

i think the OP will find

We're doing a lot of speculating on a specific canopy we havn't seen. I have 50 jumps on a Fury, but not this one.

did not "fix" any thing.

Obviously, any job can be done incorrectly. All the more reason to verify that it's within mfr's specs. ;)

The poster assumption was that it was wrong and was asking how to fix it. Not how to check it. Most Furys are never relined and he noticed it when he saw it from an observer position for the first time. My advice was not to jump into fixing something probably not wrong. IF he can get the specs and check the measurement then that's great.

My point was aimed at assuming it was wrong. Perhaps poorly communicated.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

True I have not jumped that particular Fury. I have jumped many others though and they all had the "flap" he talked about as it is part of the design.

I would even venture a guess it is only noticeable at full flight and in the brakes goes away. As it is designed to work.

I went back and was counting jumps in my 9+ log books of a particular canopy (for a work accounting issue) and decided to look up other canopies as well.

183 Fury jumps, 2 on the Furry 220-R, that experience is where I made my ASSUMPTION from (and yes I know ASS-U-ME:P)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The fury reserve doesn't have stabilizers do they?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct!

But Fury mains do have stabilizers.

I suspect that if the original poster calls the Glide Path/Flight Concepts factory - to determine the correct amount of slack - he will find that his canopy is "within spec."