Calvin19

Ankle Surgury. need help/ideas/alternatives

Ok, ankle and foot are fucked from my crash 9 months ago.

toes are all now 'hammer', they curl down to 90 or more degrees, save the big toe, it is not able to go up past level with the foot. so i can stand, but when i push off, it does not bend, so the tip of the toe hurts ALWAYS.

ankle Dorsalfexion-(no idea on spelling) is limmited to about 18 degrees. it can reach zero, plus maybe 5 degrees, and down to about 15. needess to say, this along with the toes makes it impossible to walk comfortably. limp is painful, and ugly.

due to a insurance problem with Colorado, i have to wait until december to get the surgury to cut the tendons in my toes, and extend the big toes.
The reason my ankle is not bending is from the joint, not the tendon. doc said that there is no helping that with a surgury.
He also says i should not cut the big toe tendon, it helps with balance, this i understand and agreewith, but i want it cut, i think that extending the tendon wil just make it easier to walk, not run and launch a paraglider. cutting this tendon will make it very easy.

any other options or ideas?

thanks.
CH

-SPACE-

Are you talking about cutting the extensor tendons or the flexor tendons? I don't understand why the tendons are the cause of your toes curling under (flexing). Are you able to actively straighten (extend) them? Passively? If they won't straighten for you, is it because of muscle contractures on the bottom of your foot?

What kind of therapy have you had on the foot?

There's a million more questions I could ask to try and get a clearer picture of the dysfunction in your foot and ankle. Ankle fractures are nasty. I'm not an expert on the injury, but I'd certainly be willing to try and get you some information from those I know who are.

By the way, the spelling is dorsiflexion. :)
Yvonne

Are you talking about cutting the extensor tendons or the flexor tendons? I don't understand why the tendons are the cause of your toes curling under (flexing). Are you able to actively straighten (extend) them? Passively? If they won't straighten for you, is it because of muscle contractures on the bottom of your foot?

What kind of therapy have you had on the foot?

There's a million more questions I could ask to try and get a clearer picture of the dysfunction in your foot and ankle. Ankle fractures are nasty. I'm not an expert on the injury, but I'd certainly be willing to try and get you some information from those I know who are.

By the way, the spelling is dorsiflexion. :)
Yvonne

correct, muscle contractures from sever swelling and atrified. also possible that scar tissue has been bound in ankle for big toe. the tendons to be cut are the lower ones that curl the toes down. ia am not abe to extend any of them. i have hardly no control over the toes.

Only thing I can think of is to find a top doctor and get his/her opinion.

My orthopedic surgeon was excellent and told me about Dr. Mark Myerson at the Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. You mentioned you were in Colorado. Dunno about the logistics.

Dr. Myerson is apparently one of the best in the country. In fact, my surgeon suggested it might be overkill to go to Dr. Myerson for post-op care.

Dr. Myerson is president of the American Orthopedic Foot And Ankle Society (AOFAS).

I'd do some Google research on your condition as well.