RSG

PROTEC helmets

Hi all

I am in need of a contact e-mail or a phone number of PROTEC guys,
I need the main company not any of the dealers

can anyone help ????

That's a nice-looking helmet. But how are you going to attach and hear an audible altimeter, since there are no earpieces on it?

And a camera too. How's he going to put a camera on that?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That's a nice-looking helmet. But how are you going to attach and hear an audible altimeter, since there are no earpieces on it?

i had one like that, a couple of zip ties hold the audible in place quite nicely.

for the camera, i don't know, but i'm guessing duct tape will work.:P
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

my nephew is a pro skater (forrest kirby check out www.zooyork.com) sponsered by protec. he is getting a phone number. look for a post from me again soon.

BTW can anybody tell me how to do the clicky thing?

thank you for the link
but I cant find any phone number or e-mail on this website ? [:/] [:/] [:/]

Protec is owned by Vans now http://www.vans.com/vans/index2.asp - I didn't have time to search the site for a phone number (frickin' riggin' ya know?) but I'm sure there's one on there somewhere
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

BTW can anybody tell me how to do the clicky thing?

See the information at the bottom of this page

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=markup_help;

This information is readily available when entering a post - just look above the box where you normally type and there is a link looks like this:

Get Markup Help
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Pro-Tec still makes the "Classic Full Cut Water", the usual style used for skydiving, with protection over the ears. The style of foam used on the inside has changed a few times over the last 15 years though. Lately they've added some sort of simple rubber strap at the back of the head. Not sure if it really helps to hold the helmet better in position or just gets in the way.

The pic in the original post was of the Classic Skate -- i.e. their skateboarding helmet. It also traditionally uses the 'compressible' foam (that rebounds fully) like the Full Cut Water, rather than an EPS style 'hard foam' / 'one time use' foam found in snowboard or bike helmets. That's what I found when I recently bought one for multi sport use including CRW, that appears to have been built late in '06. Yet Pro-Tec's site seems to indicate that this year's production of the Classic Skate uses the EPS foam?! Their other Skate helmets I believe used EPS but are now moving to what they call SXP, which is similar in feel but is supposed to have some multi impact protection.

For skydiving I prefer the compressible foam more for comfort and general feeling that it will cushion better than the very stiff EPS. That is not necessarily the best strategy. The compressible stuff is understood to be better only for minor accidents, but worse for major ones where it can bottom out. That's where the EPS and similar foams win out, and are found more in helmets that have higher certification levels.

Oh, and the phone number on the new helmet is 562 565-8267, for Pro-Tec in Santa Fe Springs, California.

i had one like that, a couple of zip ties hold the audible in place quite nicely.

for the camera, i don't know, but i'm guessing duct tape will work.:P

I also have one with an AA and a camera attached
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

And you could hear it over the wind noise?

Pro-Tec still makes the "Classic Full Cut Water", the usual style used for skydiving, with protection over the ears. The style of foam used on the inside has changed a few times over the last 15 years though. Lately they've added some sort of simple rubber strap at the back of the head. Not sure if it really helps to hold the helmet better in position or just gets in the way.

The pic in the original post was of the Classic Skate -- i.e. their skateboarding helmet. It also traditionally uses the 'compressible' foam (that rebounds fully) like the Full Cut Water, rather than an EPS style 'hard foam' / 'one time use' foam found in snowboard or bike helmets. That's what I found when I recently bought one for multi sport use including CRW, that appears to have been built late in '06. Yet Pro-Tec's site seems to indicate that this year's production of the Classic Skate uses the EPS foam?! Their other Skate helmets I believe used EPS but are now moving to what they call SXP, which is similar in feel but is supposed to have some multi impact protection.

For skydiving I prefer the compressible foam more for comfort and general feeling that it will cushion better than the very stiff EPS. That is not necessarily the best strategy. The compressible stuff is understood to be better only for minor accidents, but worse for major ones where it can bottom out. That's where the EPS and similar foams win out, and are found more in helmets that have higher certification levels.

Oh, and the phone number on the new helmet is 562 565-8267, for Pro-Tec in Santa Fe Springs, California.

Peter, this is some misleading information you're providing. But it's not something I even know about until one of my CRW teammates brought it up when we were selecting our helmets.

You should know that the 'compressible foam" you described (Expanded Polypropylene - EPP) rebounds just as your brain is bumping into the side of your skull and causes an even greater injury than what you started with. Most helmet already have a hard outter shell that protects against the minor stuff. The interior should be expanded polystyrene (EPS) so that it crushes upon impact.

The most recent development is Expanded Polyurethate (EPU) it does not have the rebound effect of EPP.

The terms to think about are Single Use and Multi-hit. CRW-Dogs should use a Single Use helmet. Everyone else just buy whatever will hold your camera.

Sources:

http://www.helmets.org/history.htm
http://www.bhsi.org/multi.htm
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

thank you for the link
but I cant find any phone number or e-mail on this website ?

Protec is owned by Vans now http://www.vans.com/vans/index2.asp - I didn't have time to search the site for a phone number (frickin' riggin' ya know?) but I'm sure there's one on there somewhere

And Vans is now owned by VF Corporation. It seems like this is a brand that just doesn't want any direct consumer contact, and getting a phone number is tough. One of the ways I usually reach a 'tough to get hold of corporate entity' is to contact the Media Relations department or Investor Relations. Here is the basic contact information page of the web site for VF Corporation: http://www.vfc.com/sub_pages/contact_us.php. If you click the download button for brand managers you will find great contact information for most of the brands, but none for Vans. Go figure.

If you take your search a step further and check Anywho for the street address listed for Vans (Vans Inc.,15700 Shoemaker Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670) you will come up with 562-565-8267. I don't know if that works, but it's probably worth a try.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

And you could hear it over the wind noise?

yup, no problem. i just got a new full face with an internal audible mount. it'll probably scare the shit out of me the first time i jump with it.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I use a combination of zip ties and hockey tape to attach a prodytter to my pro tec helmet (left side, front strap) which is the same one from the picture. I can hear my audible just fine. As long as you take the slack out of the strap it doesnt bounce against your head either. Oh yeah, best part is the helmet costs about $23 plus tax.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

You should know that the 'compressible foam" you described (Expanded Polypropylene - EPP) rebounds just as your brain is bumping into the side of your skull

Oh yeah, that's one thing I was afraid of. I gave the caveat that buying the 'compressible foam' helmet isn't necessary the best strategy, and it is helmets with better certifications that have EPS style foams. Compressible foam helmets are often lower profile than the EPS style ones, which is convenient for skydiving, despite the increased risks.

One can also buy sets of low rebound 'memory foam' pads for ProTecs, which are known as the Pararescue liner. (Not built by ProTec.) That should help, if the foam densities were properly chosen. But at $85+ they are pricy for adding to a cheap helmet.

So thanks for expanding on the foam info.

The helmet liner you are refering to is made by Oregon-aero and it works pretty damn good for a drop in liner. It isn't the sexiest liner but it really does protect your head. For more in depth information on Protec/bike helmets click HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING