mamajumps

Pack tray question

Is it possible to resize the main pack tray and it be safe? I don't like cutting corners, and I want to be safe, but my rig has a 220 main pack tray and well if I jumped a 220, I'd never come down.. my exit weight is roughly 135 out the door.... sorry if this question is stupid, but it seemed logical to me....:P

Is it possible to resize the main pack tray and it be safe? I don't like cutting corners, and I want to be safe, but my rig has a 220 main pack tray and well if I jumped a 220, I'd never come down.. my exit weight is roughly 135 out the door.... sorry if this question is stupid, but it seemed logical to me....:P

Can it be done? Yes. Safely? Yes. A good rigger could help you make some changes.

Is it the best option? No. It will be expensive.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Negative. H/C is usually designed for 2(3) size of main canopy. So if your designed for 220, it might hold a 200-210 safely or a 240 quite tightly. If you want to go lower you have get a new H/C.

Pardon my ignorance but what is an H/C?

Harness Container (everything in a skydiving system except the 2 parachutes):)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I facilitated communication between one of my clients and Jump Shack when the new rig he bought was being pushed to its limits by the canopy it had in it.

He was given poor information from the dealer that sold him the rig telling him that although it was sized for a Sabre2 150 he could get the same model 170 in there until he was ready for the 150.

It was a VERY tight squeeze and this led to the C.I lettin him downsize early to the 150 before he was ready (Dumb but true).

Thankfully before he got hurt he realised he was not ready for this and was thinking he would have to sell his container and get a new one, losing a lot of money in the process. I spoke to Jump Shack on his behalf and they were happy to resize the Main Tray for him. Not only did they do a great job but they did it at about 25% less than they quoted. Not because the job was easier than they thought, it was a fair sized piece of work. They did it as Customer Service.

So if you want to see about resizing the container speak to the manufacturer and weigh the cost versus the cost of buying a new container (new or second hand) remembering that in just about all cases it is better to get the right tool for the job and will work out cheaper to get a new container.

hope this helps
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I facilitated communication between one of my clients and Jump Shack when the new rig he bought was being pushed to its limits by the canopy it had in it.

He was given poor information from the dealer that sold him the rig telling him that although it was sized for a Sabre2 150 he could get the same model 170 in there until he was ready for the 150.

It was a VERY tight squeeze and this led to the C.I lettin him downsize early to the 150 before he was ready (Dumb but true).

Thankfully before he got hurt he realised he was not ready for this and was thinking he would have to sell his container and get a new one, losing a lot of money in the process. I spoke to Jump Shack on his behalf and they were happy to resize the Main Tray for him. Not only did they do a great job but they did it at about 25% less than they quoted. Not because the job was easier than they thought, it was a fair sized piece of work. They did it as Customer Service.

So if you want to see about resizing the container speak to the manufacturer and weigh the cost versus the cost of buying a new container (new or second hand) remembering that in just about all cases it is better to get the right tool for the job and will work out cheaper to get a new container.

hope this helps

Well stated and excellent advice!

Chuck

I saw it done years ago very cheap, but I have no idea how safe. Rigger covered a piece of carpet padding with cordura, and attached it to the back of the pack tray. (I think it was just one piece... might have had more on the sides too). Very clean... dunno how he attached it, but it was easily removable. That a safe solution?

Dave

I saw it done years ago very cheap, but I have no idea how safe. Rigger covered a piece of carpet padding with cordura, and attached it to the back of the pack tray. (I think it was just one piece... might have had more on the sides too). Very clean... dunno how he attached it, but it was easily removable. That a safe solution?

Dave

Quite right, I think that if a person doesn't care about the size of a rig being larger than needed, then it should be no problem - but don't let just anybody do it. It must be executed without any hidden snag points.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am