14000andfalling

Basic Rig

How much can I expect to pay (Roughly?) for a second-hand rig that'd be suitable for a student in the first year or two?
I'm really not looking for anything fancy and have no interest in swooping or CReW at the moment, just something that's nice and docile and will get me down to earth without too much of a thud!

I know there's probably so many elements that need to be answered before I can get an accurate price, but just a ball park figure would be great.

I'm 5'11 and 170-175lbs.

You really need to check out the Classifieds link of this forum, you will find used rigs from $1500 & up. Some even cheaper if they don't have an aad or a reserve. I got my used rig for $2800 and it had everything I needed to jump it. Let me know if this helps! Take care.
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

$1200 for older but still functional gear with no AAD and older canopies to $4000 for a used, not almost new rig with an AAD to $6500 for a new off the shelf rig with new AAD , stainless steel hardware, tye dyed, etc. Then there is everything in between there also. Figure 2200-2500 will put you in a really nice set of gear, 3000-3500 will put you in a rig thats is freefly friendly and has a used ZP canopy in it. 3500-4000 will let you have a newer canopy or less wear on it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just quoted a rig and even with out all the options I was pushing $1700 for the container, With the options I wanted I was over $2300. Add in a $1600 main, $1200 for a new Cypres2/Vigil and another $1000 for the reserve and you are up to $6100 and thats not including the premium if I wanted to go for crossbraced canopy of a few hundred more.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Bear in mind that prices are generally higher in the UK to reflect the VAT that we have paid for the new gear...

There is some really cheap gear out there, but it is mostly pretty nasty. For something with an AAD (mandatory for A licence and below if I remember correctly) and freefly friendly you are probably looking at £1500 ball park figure.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I just quoted a rig and even with out all the options I was pushing $1700 for the container, With the options I wanted I was over $2300. Add in a $1600 main, $1200 for a new Cypres2/Vigil and another $1000 for the reserve and you are up to $6100 and thats not including the premium if I wanted to go for crossbraced canopy of a few hundred more.

But he said basic rig. Wings for just over a grand, Pilot or equilivent for 12-14. Smart for 800some. Used cypres for 500.

Certainly you can go a lot higher. But for his first rig, no sane reason to.

At his body weight, should be able to find good used mains, or even entire rigs.