sunshine

My cat is sick

One of my cats is sick. She has a nasty infection called pyometra which is an infection of the uterus. The treatment is far too expensive and at her age i think it would be too traumatizing for her. She's in the early stages so i'll prolly get to keep her for a few more months before putting her to sleep.

Anyhoo, if you have a female cat that you never intend to breed, get her spayed. This infection is rare and only happens in unspayed, older females that have never been preggers.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

That's very sad. I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal with your kitty.

Talk to the Vet about your situation, the vet may take your cat as a rescue operation and cut the price way down or give you some other options that will keep the cat alive. Even if it means the vet or someone at the vet adopts the cat for themselves, atleast your kitty will still be ok.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AH geese, Sunny one...I'm so very sorry. I know what it's like to have an ill kitty, and how hard it is to deal with the decisions. Talk to the vet, and see if there isn't something you can work out with them; ask around, too, to other vets, and maybe contact some of the local rescue groups...they often have vets who will work with them on recommendation.

:(Hugs.:(

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

i'm really sorry to hear about your cat - anything happening to animals we love just plain sucks... i hope that she does not suffer.. i'll keep her in my prayers
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

You're a good mommy to your cats. I think if the issue was ONLY money, you would probably find a way to get it done. A lot of vets will work with you and set up payment plans- they may not offer up front, but most will for special circumstances.

If the treatment is invasive and traumatizing, probably the best thing to do is keep her as happy and comfy as you possibly can for as long as you can. :( Especially if she's older, and there's no way to know how successful the treatment will be.

I'm so sorry to hear this, because I know just how hard it can be to let go. Big virtual hugs coming your way!

May I suggest talking with your vet and doing a LOT of research online? Maybe even finding a homeopathic vet? There may be some less evasive ways to hold the infection off and keep her kidneys functioning. From what I just read, kidney failure is one of the biggest risks.

Not the same thing, but I've got an older cat with "challenged" kidneys, and I give him subQ fluids at home. My vet showed me how, Gizmo tolerates it well (its not painful to them!) and it makes a huge difference. Plus, being able to do it at home is so much easier on him AND my wallet!

Sorry to hear about you cat, my heart really does go out to you, last Christmas I lost one of my cats to pyometra Its not nice for the cat or the owner,
I eventually put the cat to sleep as she was suffering, I couldn't bare to loose her in a cold vetenary room, so I
pursueded the vet to let me do it at home. She died sitting on my lap.

Gone fishing

I'm sorry to hear that your cat is sick : (

I just came back from the vet. My friend, Carolyn, had to put down her cat, Spike. He was 18 and 1/2. He was having trouble breathing and he was basically skin and bones. It was his time and he's better off, but it was still a very sad day : (
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

What the heck, i went to edit my most recent post but must've deleted it. I'm so stupid. [:/]

Anyhoo, thank you all so much.

The surgery is pretty much just getting my Peanut spayed, but since she already has pyometra, it makes the surgery much more risky. (At least thats why my vet said).

At first i was against surgery since my Peanut is 10yrs old and hates the vet, but the more i think about it, i realize i gotta give her the chance to live a longer life. (Not to mention i don't wanna lose my baby just yet :P).

I don't even know what i can ever do to properly thank a certain person. I received a PM earlier that simply said "check your paypal account." When i checked i had been sent $250 and a message that said to take care of my baby. I'm stunned. I'm still in tears by the generosity.

Oh and i hope like hell he didn't wanna remain anonymous cause i'm here to tell everyone how cool MNEALTX is!!!!

Thank you so much Mike....and Peanut says meow.

10 isn't that old if they caught this early and she's otherwise healthy. Spaying her will give her the best shot at beating this- they'll probably do some bloodwork before the surgery just to make sure she can handle the anesthesia and stuff. If its too risky, they'll let you know. And she'll probably bounce back just fine from the surgery, too! You know yourself and your cat best and I'm sure you'll do what's right for her.

I also think some vets are deliberately pessimistic with owners of less than healthy animals- I've encountered that a few times. Like they don't know or understand what we're willing or able to do for our furry friends and they offer up what seems to be the easiest option, not necessarily the best. OR they're afraid to give you false hopes so they tell you the bad stuff first. I just want them to be honest, present the options and let me make my own decision, you know?

Good luck!

10 isn't that old if they caught this early and she's otherwise healthy.

Thats what i thought too, but a co-worker freaked me out and said something along the lines of "well 10 is old for a cat." I guess i was just in a strange state of mind friday, i'm thinking mucho more clearly about this now.

The surgery will indeed require some extra bloodwork before the surgery can be done. The vet also said it's possible, but unlikely that peanut will need an IV of antibiotics a day or 2 before the surgery. She said the biggest risk is of Peanut's uterus or ovaries rupturing and having that infectious pus leak into her body.

I hope she doesn't hate me for putting her though this, ya know how cats just don't appreciate things sometimes....

Thats what i thought too, but a co-worker freaked me out and said something along the lines of "well 10 is old for a cat." I guess i was just in a strange state of mind friday, i'm thinking mucho more clearly about this now.

Sunny, your co worker is wrong. I've had several cats live well into their 20s (23 was the oldest), and most go up to about 18-19 (in my house).

Spaying isn't that drastic of surgery anymore. It's far less painful than living with an illness like hers. Most cats, when they're spayed, are home that evening, and tolerate the anethetic just fine. She will be sedated, shaved, and a small incision will be made in her abdomen. Her uterus will be lifted out, and any "cleaning" that needs to be done will be done. As the uterus is not too terribly buried in her abdomen, it's a relatively shallow incision/cut. She will be stitched back together, given pain medication, and watched carefully, and then you'll get your Peanut back in your arms. She will be groggy, and likely sore for a few days, but about 1/2 the cats I've had spayed are ready to be released back to their colonies the first day, and the rest by the next morning (I participate in a rescue spay/neuter group). And some of those cats are "old" too...and the cats I've been owned by who've been spayed have been absolutely fine the next morning, back ready for breakfast and shenanigans. I've had 5 month old kitties back playing by that evening. It's not that bad for them at all.

Give it a shot - there is nothing traumatic about spaying and neutering. And I wish you the very best of luck with Peanut, and may you two enjoy each other's company for another 10 years (or more).

AND MIKE, YOU ARE AMAZING, AND A WONDERFUL, GENEROUS, GENTLE MAN. YOU ROCK. Just so you know.

Ciels-
Michele

Edited to add: She won't hate you. She'll feel so much better that she won't even remember this. She'll be fine...and so will you. :)

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~