Twoply

Stopping kids from being kids

I caught this article in the paper today. Is this what the world is coming to? Did one kid get his feeling hurt or break an arm to get this pushed through? And what people actually think this is a great idea? This society is in for a real problem filled future if this ball keeps rolling this way. Sorry if it's a repost.

www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1161257658268090.xml?nnusa&coll=2

248 posts and still doesn't know how to make a Clicky

Look here down at the bottom... ;)

I refuse to open a link if it's not linked.

Thanks for taking care of that for me.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I kneel in reverence and humility.

as you should... :D:D:P

I thought about saying it with a little less sarcasm... but... then I noticed you'd been around since 2003... and figured you could take it... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Pussified parenting. (pardon my bluntness)

-and really is it any wonder why more CHILDREN are becoming obese?? :S:S:S For God's sake let them play!! >:( If they skin their knee they'll learn to pick up their feet! If they get their feelings hurt they'll learn to deal with social situations WITHOUT the use of an AK-47.

Thanks. :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

this is pathetic! insanely rediculous. whats next, no running in PE? sorry kids, you must run the mile in under 13 minutes to pass the national fitness test, but you can't do any physical work during recess that would allow you to gain the muscle stamina to do this task. sorry kids, don't want you to sue! ... words can't even describe how disgusted this kind of thing makes me.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I caught this article in the paper today. Is this what the world is coming to? Did one kid get his feeling hurt or break an arm to get this pushed through? And what people actually think this is a great idea? This society is in for a real problem filled future if this ball keeps rolling this way. Sorry if it's a repost.

unfortunately i'm gonna have to go ahead and blame parents for sucking ASS lately... i worked at an afterschool care program and we were not allowed to let the kids play tag, touch football, or nuke em for liability purposes as well.. i felt like a freakin nazi telling the kids to stop - but i had to, and unfortunately there WERE a LOT of parents that would raise hell god forbid little johnny got a freakin paper cut... vamp can vouche for the uptightness of this group of people
i hated it - thats why i had a hell of a lot more fun babysitting kids outside of work - and they enjoyed me more outside of work - i let them be kids and have fun - and tackle and run and whatever (within reason) but tightass people made parts of my job SUPER sucky
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

there really should be two countries. one for the people that want everything to be safely under state control,

This isn't State control, it is control by ones peers through the courts. When you make it so easy for people to sue then sooner or later your activities will be limited to what the most paranoid amongst us think is safe.:|

All hail the quest for the mighty dollar, by whatever means neccessary.[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There's already a long discussion in SC about this. One poster's friend works at that school.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

there really should be two countries. one for the people that want everything to be safely under state control,

This isn't State control, it is control by ones peers through the courts. When you make it so easy for people to sue then sooner or later your activities will be limited to what the most paranoid amongst us think is safe.:|

All hail the quest for the mighty dollar, by whatever means neccessary.[:/]

That's so crazy...I can't believe people would sue schools or day care centers for something like that. I feel bad for kids with parents like that, what can these kids do at home? Sit in front of the tv..oh wait, that might cause eye strain.

Yes, there should be some boundries, supervision and protection for our children, but this takes it a little too far. Like another poster said, no wonder more kids now are overweight.

If you can't fall down and scrape your knee every once in awhile, how are you going to learn to be a productive member of society, relate to others, and learn that's its ok to fall down and get hurt once in awhile and that you need to get back up again??

there really should be two countries. one for the people that want everything to be safely under state control, the other for people who want to live their lives as free human beings.:|

I'm sure that you, like me and many others here, used to ride our bikes/skateboard/skates without a helmet, knee and elbow pads, etc., etc., etc., and look at us: we survived our childhood and turned out very normal. Yes, a scrape here and there, maybe even a broken bone... but banning TAG is going overboard!

Next schools will be banning Test's cause a kid might fail and it would hurt his feelings.

Jesus stuff like this pisses me off.

I would wank my kid out of that school.
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

This is a GREAT idea. The FDA, medical (mental) and pharmaceutical industries are going to be happy. Mentally fucked up, fat kids are going to need drugs to help them with this great decision.

While I agree that the Parents are Partly to Blame.. The real root of this problem is the LAWYERS!!

Pathetic scum suckin parasites that feel they must SUE for every little fall. What makes this even worse is that our Law Makers generally were lawyers first so they absolutely have no incentive to stop this sue happy madness we live in. Every lawsuit and Lawsuit settlement means there is a Lawyer getting 30 to 50 % of the money.. Unless it is a class action.. Then the Lawyer takes 90%.

The bottom line is that Schools HAVE to do these things else soon as Little Johnny scrapes his knee, The Lawyers will be lined up at his door to convince his Mommy that she just won lottery (Minus the lawyers 40% of course):S

The real problem is NOT the lawyers. The real problem is the juries. If it was not for the juries awarding "lottery" judgments, then there would not be any money for the lawyers. If the lawyer does not make any money, then they will not take the frivolous cases.

The problem arises because there are too many [insert politically correct word here for stupid] people out there that think that just because something bad happens, they are entitled to a large sum of money. It all boils down to greed.>:(

No one anymore is willing to say, "Hey, shit happens." Move on with your life. People don't realize that there is a cost to making these judgments. It usually ends up being higher prices for goods and services or restrictions on what we can/can't do. Until we have a fundamental change in our society, I guess this is what we have to deal with all in the name of safety/security.