ernokaikkonen

Atom service bulletin - CYPRES cutter relocation

Out of interest, what's the reasoning behind the move of the cutter?

The standard response I think is that it prevents a long length of cut line from friction locking the reserve container. Something that has happened, but seems to be more an issue of poor rigging. Still, there is something to be said for making things resistant to poor rigging.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Here is the whole story :

By the end of February, Airtec, the Cypres Manufacturer has written to several equipment manufacturer, requesting, due to possible packing errors (loop too long and/or unsufficiently siliconized) to change the positionof the cutter from a flap under the reserve pilot chute to the first one above the pilot chute on their new production as well as on their existing equipments. They added that, as it were just an additional safety measure, for the existing equipments it could wait until the next repack /service - wich incidentally in some European countries can last up to one year -.

First Paratec, then Firebird/performance Variable and more recently Parachutes de France had no other choice than issuing Bulletins with the necessary guidelines to proceed with the modification.

In my opinion, rather than a real Safety issue, we are assisting at an other episode of the commercial war between AAD producers. I suspect that Airtec request was made in the hope that the modification would have led the Manufacturers to ban the old style Vigil cutters with the plastic inserts, forcing Vigil to replace in a short time several thousands of cutters.

What confirms me in my opinion is that, as soon as the Paratec Bulletin has been issued, Eric Fradet who is known to be anti-Vigil has dubbed has issued in the frame of the Federation Française de Parachutisme the Circulaire de Securité n° 129, reproducing the Paratec SB but adding on his own initiative the banning of the Vigil old style cutters just as it were part of the original Paratec SB.

I would be sorry if Service Bulletins which are normally made to improve safety were rather used to support commercial strategy, thazt would make them loose credibility.

JPD

In my opinion, rather than a real Safety issue, we are assisting at an other episode of the commercial war between AAD producers. I suspect that Airtec request was made in the hope that the modification would have led the Manufacturers to ban the old style Vigil cutters with the plastic inserts, forcing Vigil to replace in a short time several thousands of cutters

I am sorry but I do not understand this statement.

The relocation of the cutter to above the PC is to help reduce the problems of poor rigging in the field.

The bulletin on Vigil cutters is also possibly about poor rigging (excessive use of PLD) but could also simply be a design flaw.

I do not see where these two subjects overlap. If you could please explain I would appreciate your time and effort.

thanks
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

the modification would have led the Manufacturers to ban the old style Vigil cutters with the plastic inserts,

I am not familiar with Vigil cutters. Why would relocating the cutter lead to a ban of old style Vigil cutters?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Vigil cutters have a plastic insert in the middle of them that if you apply too much pressure squeezing them between grommets can lead to them cracking and then the sharp edge can cut the reserve closing loop with normal wear. This is all theory unless someone has had it happen to them already.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

:)
The Service Bulletin & the cutter location change have nothing to do with any race between AAD mfg.
(At least I hope so)

Airtec has always stated the the best location for the cutter is close to the reserve pin = on top of reserve p/c in most h/c & on the bottom of the reserve container pack tray on "pop top" / pin in the bag style h/c (Racer, Reflex, Tear Drop) some h/c mfg. like RI (Talon, Voodoo, Telesis, Genera) build the h/c with the cutter on top of p/c.

Other mfg. put the cutter inside mostly on the flap sitting on the free bag & under the reserve p/c base form packing cosmetic reasons & run tests that showed no issues when the loop is in the right spec.

Yes, there is POOR rigging work on the market, too long reserve loops & so.

The Vigil AAD original cutter with the plastic hole cover have a problem of cracking/braking no matter which approved h/c they are inside - they do tends to crack when pressed in between 2 grommets & MUST be replaced with the NEW SS cutters with the right shape cutter hole.

The big question could be WHY Airtec approved the CYPRES in the non pop-top h/c with the inside cutter setting ? - see below.

The h/c mfg. which are the TSO holders of the h/c must test the AAD installation in the h/c & approved it - no other can, the best is to be done with the AAD mfg. as an approval kit / system - both mfg. may have valid points for each side.

I do think that all mfg. are looking for the best for the skydivers & for the mfg. as well.

Safe Rigging !!!

Just to reword Shlomo's statement ...
Pop-Tops (Racer, Reflex and Teardrop) put the cutter as close as possible to the ripcord pin.
Since Pop-Top ripcords are routed between the backpad and the wearer's spine, cutters are located in the bottom of the packtray, which is sewn directly to the back pad.
Po-PTop ripcords are still "outside" the container, just outside on the spine side.
Pop-Top ripcords are only covered by a thin pin protector flap.

"Other mfg. put the cutter inside mostly on the flap sitting on the free bag & under the reserve p/c base form packing cosmetic reasons & run tests that showed no issues when the loop is in the right spec.

The big question could be WHY Airtec approved the CYPRES in the non pop-top h/c with the inside cutter setting?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I suspect that most of the problem is created by field riggers who pack rigs in ways never imagined by the designer in his worst drunken nightmare!

Did I ever tell you about the Telesis (Student version of Talon 1) that a DZO sent back to Rigging Innovations with complaints about it being difficult to pack?
The loops were so long that it looked like a two-humped camel, from the Gobi desert!
Tee!
Hee!
We repacked it - with factory recommended loops - and never heard another complaint.

:)
Thanks for the "pop top" clear up.

I agree that most is about the rigging skills & details,
I saw rigs with too long closing loops which is wrong with or without an AAD.

But there are also many good riggers doing a great & safe work.

Be Safe !!!