Skyrad

Whats a very good salary?

Here in OZ I'd say very good would start at the 100K plus bracket.
Good money would be 75K up
Decent money would be 55K
anything less is crap
I earn crap >:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Aussie dollars?

Yup, but as mentioned before it also depends on where you live.
Sydney has realeastate that is extortionate so 100K would porbably ge a good pay, 200 would be very good
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It really depends on where you live. If I get the lawyer job I want, I'll start at $75K. Which sounds good, except that money will be really tight just trying to pay the mortgate on a two bedroom condo, because I live in a pretty expensive area of California, and I'd like to keep my commute to a minimum. If I lived in Alaska, Montana, or Alabama, that'd be good money, because real-estate doesn't cost nearly as much. Here in Orange County, CA, it's about enough to pay the mortgage and for essentials, with not a ton left over for extras. For example, a 4 bedroom, 2200 square foot house in Houston, Texas costs about $155,000. In the area surrounding Washington DC, that same house would run you about $800,000. Or, a $920 mortgage versus a $3800 mortgage. (source: Coldwell Banker, 2006)

So, I guess, what you consider a very good salary is going to depend on where you live.

Everything's relative.:)
My best friend and I had the same position with the same company straight out of college; only she worked in our NY office and I worked in our FL office. Her salary was 1/3 more than mine. We laughed about it; b/c her cost of living was twice as much as mine.

She's since moved back to FL and I've since switched companies.

It's also important not to compare one's life to another's. You never know what's going on behind closed doors though the neighbor's lawn might be greener. I respect anyone who does what's best for them and their personal happiness; as long as they are truly happy.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Montana

I find the cost of living pretty damn high in Montana. There is no sales tax so income tax is NASTY. Land is EXPENSIVE. Not hard to find rural land that is UPWARDS of $10,000 an acre. 10 years ago it wasn't so bad but the real estate prices have gone INSANE! :S

It really depends on where you live. If I get the lawyer job I want, I'll start at $75K. Which sounds good, except that money will be really tight just trying to pay the mortgate on a two bedroom condo, because I live in a pretty expensive area of California, and I'd like to keep my commute to a minimum. If I lived in Alaska, Montana, or Alabama, that'd be good money, because real-estate doesn't cost nearly as much. Here in Orange County, CA, it's about enough to pay the mortgage and for essentials, with not a ton left over for extras. For example, a 4 bedroom, 2200 square foot house in Houston, Texas costs about $155,000. In the area surrounding Washington DC, that same house would run you about $800,000. Or, a $920 mortgage versus a $3800 mortgage. (source: Coldwell Banker, 2006)

So, I guess, what you consider a very good salary is going to depend on where you live.

In the mid-90's I was at Motorola in Schaumber IL. During that time Motorola began setting up an additional site in Fort Worth TX, and began asking for people to volunteer to re-locate to it. You need to have lived in the NW Chicago 'burbs to fully appreciate all the people with upturned noses scoffing: "Ugh! Now why on earth would anyone choose to live in Ft Worth TX???"

Well, a few adventurous souls took the company up on the offer to cover the expenses of an exploratory trip to visit the area. Then they came back with eyes wide telling everyone about the cost of real estate in TX. At that point jaws began dropping and a lot more people began considering moving. Homes in FW cost a fraction of home in the NW burbs, and a lot of people were in the position where they could sell the IL home, and buy a similar home in FW just with the cash from their equity.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just a little bit more...

I agree with "Just a little bit more." I got out of college 20 years ago, and each time I increased my income over those years, I thought "$30K is good, $50K would be great." A year later "$50K is good, $100K would be great." $100K came and went, as did $200K and $300K. I didn't change my spending much, so that isn't it. I just think it's human nature for most people to always want "just a little more."
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I'm curious as to what people on both sides of the 'Pond' regard as a very good salary, when do you go from making good money to making a very good money? Not extreamly good money/mega bucks but just very good. What do you think? If you're from somewhere else feel free to post in the currency you have the most experience with.

It depends a lot on taxes, how small a place you're willing to live in, how far you're willing to commute to work, whether you want to own property, what your family situation is.

For example, $500,000 (on which you'd want to come up with a $100K down payment and need about $100K in income to meet conventional affordability metrics) could buy you anything from half a studio apartment to a McMansion in the states.

Trying to quantify a "good salary" is too general. It depends on cost of living, standard of living, personal goals, personal perception, among many other factors. As a skydiver and a Financial Planner who services skydivers nationwide, my client's are pleased if my services allow them to jump a few more times every weekend.

That salary variation is practiced by many national companies with offices in fl and up north.

Our commission tiers were the same. But, her base salary was 1/3 more than mine b/c of her location. It was really interesting, actually. I was trying to keep my previous response short, but the differences in our lifestyles were really hilarious to us both.

Thank goodness she's back in Florida now.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I find myself always chasing that rainbow, I make very good money doing what I do and I find myself looking at the next step, reaching for that "next" golden ring. Dream the big dream!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I'm curious as to what people on both sides of the 'Pond' regard as a very good salary, when do you go from making good money to making a very good money? Not extreamly good money/mega bucks but just very good. What do you think? If you're from somewhere else feel free to post in the currency you have the most experience with.

I looked at the title of this thread - and my first thought was "One that makes you feel comfortable."
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Personally I used to think making a 6 figure salary would be doing very good.. then when I made that benchmark... I started thinking the 7 figure would be a good milestone...

Somehow I managed to find something to do with most of the money I make...so I could ALWAYS use a bit moreB|

I think it really depends more on the individual. What are your goals in life when it comes to money? I know people that are lucky to make $30K in a year and they are happy as a pig in shit. Others that make $200,000 plus and are "broke" and bitching all the time. I'll gurauntee that no matter how much money I make...........I CAN spend it. :D

Bingo we have a winner:)
There's also the fun factorB| making big money in a job that you hate:S that takes up all your free time, stress etc wouldn't be worth it for some people at any price.

A better question might be how much money does it take to live a "comfortable life style". Of course everyone definition of "comfotable lifestyle" is different.

We're trying to reduce our expenses to $30k/yr (2 peeps) we don't have to. Other people spend that much on shoes every yr:)

R.I.P.