jumper03

That slacklining stuff is hard!

Inspired by the Bytch's post from a few months back - I laid my hands on some 1" tubular nylon and made myself a slackline.

I have yet to stay on it more than "one - thou..."
:D:D:D

I foresee broken bones in the future but damn it's fun for that split second. Feel like a rodeo cowboy - WAHOO!
Scars remind us that the past is real

I have yet to stay on it more than "one - thou..."

LMAO! Yeah, it's hard, but don't let it beat you! It took a week of spending an hour or so a day trying before I could hit "two thousand."

Hot tips -

Don't set the line up very high or make it very long at first. No more than waist level (as long as that's high enough that you won't bottom out when all of your weight is in the middle of the line) and keep the length under 30 feet. Lower lines are less freaky to learn on and the bails are "safer."

Work on standing on one foot first, whichever one is dominant. Sounds wierd but it's way easier to balance on one foot than on two, especially at first.

If you don't have another person around to "spot" you, get a long piece of wood to use as a crutch. After spending a bit of time standing on the line with the crutch, your body will learn the balance... and then it's time to drop the crutch. The crutch is also helpful for getting on the line at first.

Try it both barefoot and wearing shoes. Personally I prefer barefoot cuz I can "feel" the line better but others swear by shoes.

Don't look down at the line! Instead, focus on something out in front of you (I stare at the 'biners we use for tensioning or the knot where the line joins the anchors on the other end; others use the tree/pole that the line is attached to).

You can make the line stop "swinging" underneath you by bouncing up and down.

Keep your knee(s) slightly bent and your arms way out. While you're on one foot, use the other in conjunction with your arms to help you balance.

Don't get discouraged when you have a "breakthru" (ie hit a new move) and then flail miserably for days after.

One thing I've noticed is that the line totally reflects whats going on in your head. Stressed out? Pissed off? You're probably going to flail...

Now go slack off! :P

You can buy everything you need at REI or any store that carries rock climbing gear.

Yup. We picked up four 'biners for tensioning (a 3:1 system with an extra biner in there to make removing/retensioning the line easier), 50 feet of 1" tubular nylon and 10 feet of 3/8" tubular nylon for the anchors. Total cost was under $50 at REI.

You can find descriptions and a few diagrams of how to set one up in the slacklining forum on Rockclimbing.com.

You can buy everything you need at REI or any store that carries rock climbing gear.

Yup. We picked up four 'biners for tensioning (a 3:1 system with an extra biner in there to make removing/retensioning the line easier), 50 feet of 1" tubular nylon and 10 feet of 3/8" tubular nylon for the anchors. Total cost was under $50 at REI.

You can find descriptions and a few diagrams of how to set one up in the slacklining forum on Rockclimbing.com.

Mine was even cheaper than that. I figured out how to rig the line with no caribiners. The only metal on there is the ratchet to put tension on the line B|
Scars remind us that the past is real

Sorry, I have to ask...what is the point of slacklining? I'm assuming it improves your balance, but are there other benefits that would make you spend an hour a day at it?? I think I'm missing something here, it just doesn't sound all that appealing to me....:S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Sorry, I have to ask...what is the point of slacklining? I'm assuming it improves your balance, but are there other benefits that would make you spend an hour a day at it?? I think I'm missing something here, it just doesn't sound all that appealing to me....:S

there's probably as much point as spending thousands upon thousands of dollars jumping out of planes...What ever floats ya boat;):)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The only metal on there is the ratchet to put tension on the line

We decided against using a ratchet cuz it adds extra weight to the system. Tightening with a 3:1 'biner system isn't all that difficult, but it does require "two blokes".

The ratchet would be nice if you're setting it up alone.

The only metal on there is the ratchet to put tension on the line

We decided against using a ratchet cuz it adds extra weight to the system. Tightening with a 3:1 'biner system isn't all that difficult, but it does require "two blokes".

The ratchet would be nice if you're setting it up alone.

why not just use a tension knot of truckies hitch? not tools requred.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?