Nicolaos

Dating skydivers

same here, about the only time I ever talk about skydiving away from the DZ, is when someone asks me about my necklace, and even then i often say it;s a stylised sperm, they stopp asking then:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's that even my own family can't be around me for more than a day or two at a time as the skydive talk gets to them. :D

That has nothing to do with skydiving and has everything to do with the fact that you sound like a crushing bore who can't talk about anything else. If your own family finds you insufferable, how interesting are you going to be to a potential date ... well, at least once she gets off AFF? :|:ph34r:

-----------------------------------------------------------
I have succeded in doing the normal whuffo chatting, but the whole point is that i'd like to be around someone ehere i can be myself and have fun!!!

I'm beginning to detect a theme here. Seventeen posts into your dz.com career and you've already started 2 threads about dating skydivers. This could get interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it's quite an interesting thread though! :$

Im not allowed to date skydivers.

It makes my wife angry. :|

Ah, kind of like how she felt when you stuck your dick in the pickle slicer? :D:)

Yea, she really likes sliced pickles and my dick broke it. :o:D

NWflyer: its probably a good thing. Cuz there just aint enought Hippie to go around! :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

when someone asks me about my necklace

I solved that by no longer wearing the necklace. I have a very good friend who tells whuffos who ask that the curved pin was "the symbol of the handmaiden of the water bearer."

No stickers on my car. No skydiving T-Shirts off the DZ.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I disagree that this issue is about basing dating decisions on a sport--It's about basing dating decisions on a lifestyle, more akin to a religion. I find it interesting that most of the people saying they could never date whuffos are the people with less than a thousand jumps and less than five years in the sport. It's typically the people who are relatively new to the sport who maintain an unhealthy obsession with it. It is because skydiving becomes so much more than a sport to so many new skydivers that they feel compelled to make it the deciding factor in complex life decisions, such as whom to date.

Personally, it's very unlikely that I would date a skydiver at this point in my life, just like it is very unlikely that I would date a very devout evangelical Christian; though, each seemed like the best choice at different points in my life. That decision has nothing to do with sports; it has everything to do with wanting to distance myself from lifestyles in which I no longer have any interest.

I've posted this before, but here is a re-post from my [URL "http://www.thedeadarmadillo.com"]blog[/url], for all of you who are completely consumed by skydiving:

[I]Tuesday, February 21, 2006[/I]

[B][U]Zen and the Art of Skydiving[/B][/U]

My knowledge of philosophy is so embarrassingly limited that the probability of anything I say on the subject being an original thought is immeasurably low. Therefore, in any of my writings, you can assume any philosophical statements I make mirror earlier, greater minds, whether I realized it when I made the statements or not. For the purposes of this Chautauqua, however, I intend to deliberately borrow a handful of ideas from Robert M. Pirsig's cult classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I'm also going to borrow his use of the word "Chautauqua."

The subject of this Chautauqua will be the self-destruction of the recreational skydiver. In my seven and a half years in the sport of skydiving, I have seen recreational skydivers come and go, but I've seen only a handful "go the distance," so to speak. I believe there is an underlying force at work behind this turnover, beyond the skydivers themselves, the nature of sport, and traditional outside forces (work, school, family, etc).

To get to the root of this cycle, we must first examine the average person's motivation for skydiving. Most people have the same motivation for their first jumps--They are looking for excitement. I think it's reasonable to assume that the seeking of excitement indicates a perceived shortage of excitement in their lives. And "perceived shortage of excitement," better known by its nom de plume "boredom," is the real heart of this issue. People are bored with a culture, a society, and a world that never looks beyond earning an education, getting a good job, finding a mate, raising a family, and staying out of trouble. They are never offered any higher objective than this laundry list of chores.

If boredom brings them to the drop zone to make their first jumps, what motivates them to spend time and money on training and keep coming back weekend after weekend to become recreational skydivers? I believe this is where skydiving takes on a roll akin to a religion, in the hierarchy of most fledgling skydivers' values. Skydiving appears to offer an alternative to the culture with which they've grown so bored.

Much like a religion, skydiving offers an escape from the traditional views of success. It doesn't matter to their fellow skydivers how much money they have or what kind of work they do or what kind of cars they drive. What is important to their fellow skydivers is the common bond of skydiving.

Skydiving also offers acceptance without adherence to the status quo. Skydivers do not hold each other to the same standards commonly accepted by the outside world. Among skydivers, nobody expects you to be in college simply because you are nineteen-years-old and everyone knows nineteen-year-olds go to college. Nobody expects you to be married simply because you are forty-years-old and everyone knows forty-year-olds are married. Nobody expects you to behave like a prude simply because you are a corporate executive and everyone knows a good executive never engages in anything that might appear distasteful. Fledgling skydivers encounter an acceptance that supersedes the acceptance found in most major religions because they are never judged on any criteria outside the realm of jumping out of airplanes.

Skydiving also gives fledgling skydivers the feeling of being involved in something larger than themselves. Suddenly they have a tangible goal beyond earning an education, getting a good job, finding a mate, raising a family, and staying out of trouble. In a sense, the fledgling skydiver soon finds that skydiving has become his purpose in life.

Unfortunately, this newfound purpose eventually fails most recreational skydivers. Skydiving fails in this roll because, contrary to its first impression, it is not an alternative to the world they despise.

Most skydivers are faced with a dilemma in that they still rely on the world they left behind to sustain them. Man cannot live by air alone. These same skydivers, no longer fledglings but now covered with bright feathers and able to fly on their own, now find themselves torn between the world of their purpose and the world of their paychecks. This can topple the house of cards in one of two ways--The skydiver can accept that continuing to follow this purpose will eventually ruin him and reluctantly withdraw from skydiving, or he can choose to try to sustain himself on this purpose by becoming a professional skydiver. Either way, the recreational skydiver is gone. And for those who choose the path of professional skydiving, they find it long and hard and nothing like the joyful existence they came to know as fledgling skydivers.

If resources are not an issue, these same skydivers soon find that the world of skydiving is not as different as they once imagined. Deep at its heart, skydiving contains everything they hated about the outside world but exponentially magnified in intensity, like a laser beam directed at this tiny subculture. They soon find themselves entwined in soap operatic levels of politics and drama, the likes of which the outside world would never allow. And for many, this is enough to kill the recreational skydiver.

At the heart of every failure of this pseudo-religion is its basic philosophic flaw, the reason that even a skydiver who can sustain himself without help from the outside world and endure the living soap opera cannot continue forever on the back of this newfound purpose--Skydiving is not actually an alternative to the outside world; rather, it is freedom from the outside world. And freedom is a "negative" goal--It is a vacuum that must be filled. At its root, the skydiving lifestyle is freedom (often bordering on degeneracy, to borrow from Pirsig's evaluation of the hippie movement) that offers an escape from the "real world" without offering anywhere to escape to. Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes is fun recreation, but it is not an alternative to the world around us.

Perhaps more skydivers would "go the distance" if, as fledgling jumpers, they didn't look to skydiving for purpose but instead looked at it as just one more area in which to seek the Quality most people fail to seek in any aspect of their lives. "Quality" is Pirsig's term, but I think it fits. It's the indescribable point at which the romantic and the classic meet, where form meets function. It's a goal above both the pursuit of a laundry list of chores and the pursuit of aesthetic beauty, the point at which these two empty objectives meet to form a whole greater than the sum of its parts. But I digress. If you want to know about Pirsig's philosophy, buy the book. My point is that skydiving fails not because it's something we use to fill a void in our lives but because it's a void we use to replace the things we don't like about our lives. And as any student of high school physics can tell you, a vacuum (aka a void) cannot sustain itself. As goes the void, so goes the purpose, and as goes the purpose, so go so many disenchanted recreational skydivers who thought they'd found something better, only to realize too late that they'd staked all of their hopes and dreams on nothing at all.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I can even put in my 2 cents on a golf conversation, even though my close friends know I haven't golfed since I was 14

Yo .. John.. me three;)

Perhaps we could find someone with clubs and get a bunch of skydivers to go out and reallllly stall some golf course as we shoot about 120 on the 18;)

But I just like to jump.[:/][:/][:/][:/]:D:D:D

There is a middle path between all and none. That's the road we've taken. :)

Well, with 29 years in the sport and 4600 jumps under your belt, it's not surprising that you've developed a healthier attitude toward skydiving than those people with 2.9 years and 460 jumps under their belts.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I'm beginning to detect a theme here. Seventeen posts into your dz.com career and you've already started 2 threads about dating skydivers. This could get interesting.

Leave the guy be. He's just horny! :P:P;)

Chanti: shhhh, u'r giving away my secret!! lol :D:ph34r:;)B|

I think he's waiting for one of us girls to chime in with a

"How you doin'?"

Good luck with that ;)
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

I cringe when someone introduces me as a skydiver in a whuffo environment

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. Though really it's my own fault some of my friends would introduce me like that. There really isn't anything else interesting going on my life and they're just trying to kickstart the conversation to whatever cute girl they're saying it to.

But the sport has so much perceptual baggage...

"Wow, it must be so exciting."
"Not really, I find it pretty relaxing anymore. Sort of mellows me out."
"Huh???"

"Huh???"

i love it when people can't understand that you go skydiving to relax.:D

"huh (baffled look" is about right 95% of the time

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I cringe when someone introduces me as a skydiver in a whuffo environment

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. Though really it's my own fault some of my friends would introduce me like that. There really isn't anything else interesting going on my life and they're just trying to kickstart the conversation to whatever cute girl they're saying it to.

But the sport has so much perceptual baggage...

"Wow, it must be so exciting."
"Huh???"

When I first started jumpng last year - I liked talking about skydiving to my uni friends, now it is so awkward when new people ask what I am dong at the weekend.

me: "umm, well actually I have to drive some freshers down to the dropzone"
new person: "Huh?"
cue a friend diving in: "she skydives!"
new person "oh wow, whats it like / why do you do that / i once did a tandem etc etc"

Then I get stuck for ages talking about skydiving answering the same questions I have been asked by freshers about a milion times aklready this term. (i quite like talking about skydiving - but only with other skydivers) ARGH!

A bit of non DZ life is nice, even nicer now I HAVE to take people to the dz EVERY weekend. Although on the dating side of things, it would make it hard going out with a non skydiver since I have to spend every weekend there with my uni club.
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

we all know it's just because I won't be around PSC for a while

:):)

:P

tash

ps - I'll pm you if there is an extra person on the load next week ;)
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I think he's waiting for one of us girls to chime in with a

"How you doin'?"

Good luck with that ;)

So, How you doin'?... lol ;)B|:D:ph34r:

I was married to a non-skydiver. "Was" being the key word. B|

I'm now dating a skydiver. Things are working pretty well so far. :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Oh my, lets listen carefully to that rumour mill starting up, oh there is it!! Click, click, click

Yeah, In FULL swing!!

Hey Nic, come to JSC, we have lots of chicks there too dude and when you split up you can go back to PSC and they can get custody of the DZ again!!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa