Nicolaos

Dating skydivers

This should be interesting! B|

Not really, in the real world (read not internet) most people are not so shallow as to limit the criteria to a given sport
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not that i am limiting the criteria to a spicific sport: It's that even my own family can't be around me for more than a day or two at a time as the skydive talk gets to them. :D

Now if i'm to find somebody for long-term the odds are that another skydiver will be able to cope with me easier than a whuffo.

If i find a whuffo who's not inrested to skydive but has no problem going to the DZ with me all the time that's also gr8. B|

I've recently come out of a long term relationship with a skydiver (she was the second one i've dated) and i must say that it was quite cool being able to share in every element of your life with them, including time at the DZ.

Now that i'm back on the dating scene a lot of potentials find it difficult to understand why i want to spend so much time out at the DZ but that's not to say that i would ever cut whuffos out of the prospects, after all, there are only so many girls that skydive! :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I've recently come out of a long term relationship with a skydiver (she was the second one i've dated) and i must say that it was quite cool being able to share in every element of your life with them, including time at the DZ.

Now that i'm back on the dating scene a lot of potentials find it difficult to understand why i want to spend so much time out at the DZ but that's not to say that i would ever cut whuffos out of the prospects, after all, there are only so many girls that skydive! :D

Hook up with Bev, problem Solved:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hook up with Bev, problem Solved:D:D

Dude, there's a great idea! I'm still after my birthday present though ;):):D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

It's that even my own family can't be around me for more than a day or two at a time as the skydive talk gets to them. :D

That has nothing to do with skydiving and has everything to do with the fact that you sound like a crushing bore who can't talk about anything else. If your own family finds you insufferable, how interesting are you going to be to a potential date ... well, at least once she gets off AFF? :|:ph34r:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

you sound like a crushing bore

No working in the diplomatic corps for YOU! :D

t

Who, me?:)

I dunno. I know I'm maybe something of an exception, but I do my best to limit my jump talk around the whuffos, and yet I still really enjoy spending time with them. I have whuffo friends who are equally passionate about other things (cycling, triathlon) and while I enjoy hearing about their passions, I also tune out when they've talked for what seems like hours about bike clips and improving transition times... so I know that discussing with them whether I should switch from a 7-cell to a 9-cell or how I can improve my sit is going to bore the hell out of them.

We think we're more interesting people for what we do as skydivers, but a lot of times we end up becoming less interesting. [:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Although skydiving is my major passion (outside of my wife and kids), I have trained myself to talk about all that kind of stuff at parties, family events, etc. Football, mutual funds, whatever is the subject de jour. I can even put in my 2 cents on a golf conversation, even though my close friends know I haven't golfed since I was 14.:D

Seems every party, though, someone tells some new folks that my wife and I are skydivers. They then always corner her with a zillion questions about it all, and shake their heads in amazement. I even get an occasional tandem passenger that way.:)
As far as dating whuffos, I've seen it work, but so often it leads to a newly wed guy selling his gear. [:/]

Ground rule.

It's always the whuffo's fault.

They're the ones that ask the stupid questions.
They're the ones that argue laws of physics. (in a vacuum)
They're the ones that tell you you have a death wish.
They're the ones that know NOTHING about what you do.
They're the ones that get bored.

I've run, cycled and swum. I can discuss transision times. I've done a triathelon. They don't know WTF a cell is, let alone the differences between 7 and 9 cells, ZP, aspect ratio, angle of attack, angle of incidence etc.

The closest thing I have to a whuffo friend did 900 jumps and then quit. It burns me how far behind the curve he is, but still thinks of himself as a skydiver.

I like to keep things simple. I do have respect for skydivers whuffo friends, but I have none of my own.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

They're the ones that ask the stupid questions.
They're the ones that argue laws of physics. (in a vacuum)
They're the ones that tell you you have a death wish.
They're the ones that know NOTHING about what you do.
They're the ones that get bored.

I'm an insturctor, and I know you are too. Stupid questions and limited IQ's are things with which we are trained to deal, so deal with it. :D:D:P

Some whuffos are interested in skydiving, others are derisive and offensive, I think due to ego issues. With the former group I can discuss any subject, the latter group I walk away from. I have a weekday job that brings me in contact with non jumpers. I don't have my life as comparmentalized as you do. Maybe after I retire.

I guess you and I are different in that I don't expect a whuffo to know or care about the details. I also tend not to engage most whuffos in discussion about skydiving for the very reasons you talked about (stupid questions, arguments, etc.). My friends don't have those kinds of discussions with me and it's not really important to me that the rest of the whuffo world know. My seatmate on my flight last night asked me if I had picked up any new hobbies since I moved to Washington, and of course I mentioned snowboarding. :ph34r:

Continuing on the triathlon thing - I can go to Ironman and cheer my friend on and volunteer to support the event and have a blast even though I don't know much more about the details of the sport or who the big names are than what my friends tell me. I probably even ask them stupid questions from time to time. :D And those friends can (and have) come out and watch me jump (and pack - they were actually fascinated with packing!) and do a tandem. We can learn enough about each others' passions to say "I know this is important to you so I'll try to understand at least a little and will support you in it" but also don't bore the hell out of each other with the gory details.

Then again, I'm a weekend recreational jumper - you work in the industry, so that may explain why we have different expectations and perspectives. You've also been in it for way longer than I have ... if I'm still around the sport in 20 years we can see how many whuffo friendships I've maintained. :D

Im not allowed to date skydivers.

It makes my wife angry. :|

Poor Hippie. :(

As an instructor, I only have to deal with it from skydiving students.

I also have a job during the week. I've been here 7 years. No one talks skydiving cos I've not told anyone I skydive. (If you're not a jumper, they're not a whuffo)

Socially, it's very important to be a good conversationalist. I cringe when someone introduces me as a skydiver in a whuffo environment, and discuss as little as possible, and leave as soon as I can.

t
It's the year of the Pig.