bigway

Living standards 'South Africa'

Ok, my impressions of south africa is a very racist place. To be honest with you that is.

I am from a community in new zealand that now has well over 20,000 south african there and mainly in my town.
Nice people, very much like kiwis, lots of the same interests, just i found the parents of my friends very racist, and i can understand why they have this view so am not in an way putting that down. But people with these views really put me off visiting south africa.

I would really like to hear a nice place to live, somewhere with surf, dropzone, shops, nice community, safe and always good outdoor activities.
I have been to many countries and always spend a fair amount of time in each one (usually one month to 2 years.).

I would really like to hear more about south africa as i am not sure if i want to visit there for a few months or just a couple of weeks.

The main thing i like in travelling is meeting the locals, not doing the tourist things, i like to learn about what it is like living in different parts of the world.

Anyone?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

South Africa is not as racist as England. I shit you not. Think about it, most South Africans grew up in the early years of their lives being carried around and reared by black nannys. In England I experienced far more racism than in SA. The crime is bad there but the weather and the people make it woth the risk. The food is fantastic and the meat is better than anything you'l taste in Europe. Theres a sense of space that you just never experince this side of the world. Australia was nice but lacked soul South Africa has a real energy in the land. Having lived and worked there in tough conditions at times I have to say I love the place.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I disagree that Australia lacks 'soul'.

Mate is a world of it's wn, Australia is what the USA need to try and be.

I think Australia is the greatest continent on this planet, fantastic country. Fantastic lifestyle.

So saying south africa is better than australia makes me wonder how that can be when all the south africans are escaping south africa to live in NZ and australia for a better fairer life?

I am not really talking about the crime in south africa, i thought south africa was racist towards the white people not so much towards to the blacks. I heard black people are treated better in south africa. am i wrong here, have things changed in the last 10 years??? I am saying what i think i know from having many south african friends in new zealand and am wanting to be corrected if this is wrong?

Not trying to make this a SC thread, i just am wondering about spending a few months there.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I disagree that Australia lacks 'soul'.

Mate is a world of it's wn, Australia is what the USA need to try and be.

I think Australia is the greatest continent on this planet, fantastic country. Fantastic lifestyle.

OH This needs repeating:)OZ ROCKSB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I didn't say it was 'better' than Oz just that SA has something about it that Oz never will, its not something I can really describe. As for Saffa's leaving SA, well alot are but there are alot that also go back, and its one thing to live there for a couple of years and a very different thing to raise a family there.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

There is the national BEE requirement for employment here, BEE being Black Economic Empowerment and is a form of positive discrimination.

It means that in some industries and professions white males have a hard time finding a job, as companies try to increase their quota of non-whites. I believe that may be the reason why so many white South Africans have emigrated.

The people are very friendly and welcoming here. I've only been here a few months and already made friends here who I'll hopefully be in touch with for the rest of my life, even if I don't see them too often.

I found the crime fear quite dibilitating at first until I saw my first unattended package. When I realised I was the only person who thought it may be a bomb it dawned on me that what I consider to be normal having lived in London for 10 years is not normal to others; in the same way that things here are considered normal that I wouldn't have thought as normal before (does that make sense?:S).

I would definitely recommend spending some time in SA, it's a beautiful country with many fantastic people, great red meat (if that's what you are into) and to me feels like in an amazing transition period. Considering the kind of country I was born in (SA in the 1970's) it's a completely different country in many respects but in others just the same.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I've only been here a few months and already made friends here who I'll hopefully be in touch with for the rest of my life, even if I don't see them too often.

Ahhhhhh! Sniff, sniff! :( We'll miss u! You'd BETTER be at my wedding ok!!! :D

-Chanti-

I can tell you the crime in SA is nothing to sniff at. I have 6 people in my family and every single one of us has had a gun held to our heads at some point in the past few years. These all occured during car hijackings, home invasions, muggings etc...

Its a beautiful country that I love and would probably be a perfect place if they just cleaned up the crime.

(I say this having moved to Canada for Uni, but my whole family is still there and I visit at least once a year)

every single one of us has had a gun held to our heads

Guns in Speakers corner please.;)

Fkin amatures. Any pro will tell you that the head is a fleeting and hard target regardless of range. 1st shot to the body. What happens after that depends on the situation.

Seriously, I don't understand how so many people here just "get hijacked." How do these criminals get right up to your car, or into your house without you noticing? Are you messing with your cell phone, adjusting the radio, staring into your lap? What?

I've only been in one gunfight here. I won 2 nil. Maybe I'll be hijacked on the way home from work today. If it happens and I have that big surprised "WTF?" expresion on my face, and live, I'll let you know.

Predators pick on the old, the sick, the weak and the unaware. We are all predators. Even the vegitarians among us can kill without effort. We are the most dangerous species this planet has ever known. Hunting each other is dangerous work for both sides, but not as dangerous as being the prey in the middle.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Bigway,

Here's a thread posted by Bertusgeert, an ex-saffa who was wondering the same thing you are...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1350380;search_string=South%20Africa;#1350380

Re-reading my post in that thread, the only thing that has changed is that i've now visited a few more countries overseas and each time i come back i know why i do and always will call this place home.

SA rocks, a lot of people here have been touched by crime, including myself, but i will state again, you'd use the same street smarts here that you would in any other big city. I refuse to be another archetypical paranoid South African, life is for living and that's what life is about here. Come and visit us, you won't regret it.

edited to add:

Here are some search results links on South Africa:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results;search_forum_id=;search_string=South%20Africa;search_user_username=;search_user_id=;search_time=;search_forum_type=all;search_forum=all;search_fields=sb;search_type=AND;page=1;mh=25;

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I am not some unaware person who drives around with thier head in the clouds. I have actually avoided being hijacked on two other occasions, one of which ended with them chasing me in the car. When I did get nailed I had a car screach to a halt when I pulled into a driveway and cut off any route of escape for me. I dont carry a weapon so when one is pointed at me there is not much I can do but lift my arms.

Being hijacked is just a case of wrong place, wrong time. I do however agree with you that you can reduce your chances of getting nailed by being more aware of your surroundings.

Fkin amatures. Any pro will tell you that the head is a fleeting and hard target regardless of range. 1st shot to the body. What happens after that depends on the situation.

Seriously, I don't understand how so many people here just "get hijacked." How do these criminals get right up to your car, or into your house without you noticing? Are you messing with your cell phone, adjusting the radio, staring into your lap? What?

I've only been in one gunfight here. I won 2 nil. Maybe I'll be hijacked on the way home from work today. If it happens and I have that big surprised "WTF?" expresion on my face, and live, I'll let you know.

Predators pick on the old, the sick, the weak and the unaware. We are all predators. Even the vegitarians among us can kill without effort. We are the most dangerous species this planet has ever known. Hunting each other is dangerous work for both sides, but not as dangerous as being the prey in the middle.

t

t

I could not even imagine being in a gun fight. Just one of those things that seems so far from my life that it is not real.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I would really like to hear a nice place to live, somewhere with surf, dropzone, shops, nice community, safe and always good outdoor activities.
I have been to many countries and always spend a fair amount of time in each one (usually one month to 2 years.).

...and you're not in northern California because...?? :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm a South African living in London - I didn't leave South Africa because of some of the problems there, it was work related. I go home as often as I can and it just amazes me that with all the problems, the people on the street are friendly and warm, and smile (unknown for strangers to smile at you in London)! And that's irrespective of what the colour of mine or their skin is.

You get racist people of every nationality - and South Africa is no different - and I'm sorry if you've met some bad specimens, but we're definately not all like that - you should try make it out there some time - 99% of people I've met who've visited there have fallen in love with it.

Oh, and on the crime side, I've lost 2 friends to violent crime in the last year, one in London, and one in Thailand. No matter where in the world you are, you need to look after yourself and be vigilent.