bclark

New Aviator Freefly Helmet

I would like to share my experience with the NEW Aviator Freefly Helmets. I was always a big fan of the Aviator and own a Hawkeye (Arrow Dynamics Inc.). I was very sad when they went out of production and really excited when I saw they were being made again by another company. So, on 1/16/07 I bought one from Square 2 in Eloy on my way through town. On first inspection it looked just like the old Aviator, with the exception of a cool looking new "graphite" finish. It is now 03/20/07. The first time it got banged off the bar of the Otter, rather than scratching, huge eggshell like chunks broke off of the finish. Within a week the material that covers the bolt / nut that holds the chin strap on had come loose. Now the trim across the back of the helmet is loose too. Needless to say, I believe the "new" Aviator is a shoddy ripoff of the old product, and sold at the same price. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else out there who might be fooled into buying one of these, especially if you are expecting the same quality and workmanship that the Arrow Dynamics Inc. Aviator developed a reputation for. I tried to upload some pix for you but had trouble due to the size of the files. If I can figure it out I will post these later.

It is good to see a company stand by their product. I was contacted by the manufacturer and they have offered to replace my helmet. Good customer service goes a long way. Hopefully the issues have been fixed. I am happy now. THANK YOU

Aside from the problems you experienced, how is the fit, comfort, etc... compared to the old one? How about 2 inner dytter pockets?

Cheers,
Al

I'll chime in here - I bought one of the Aviator's from Sq1 mail order - a medium for me, and a small for my g/f. Turns out, when I got them in the mail, the small was too tiny to get over my ears, and the medium was just big enough to wiggle around when strapped on my noggin. [:/]

Good news is, customer service is everything. The folks at SQ1 were very accommodating over the phone, and worked with me on a number of levels (we thought that maybe I had received an XS for a while, but no...there's just a big difference between the S & M sizes). They also told me that they might be releasing some liner padding for better fit...but not yet. So I ultimately wound up sending them back (the small didn't fit my g/f, either).

But given the service from them, I'm gonna be ordering a Bonehead helmet from Sq1 soon, once I can figure out which one fits me best.

Otherwise, I really liked the looks & feel of the helmet. My one drawback (aside from the sizing) was the strap, with the lack of padding around it. Another friend of mine has been wearing hers quite a bit, and is very happy with the fit. She says it's not quite as comfy as the Guner...but she's happy with it. As for audible pockets, etc, there seemed to be plenty of room in the sides of the helmet. She's putting 2 audibles in there with no problems.

So I can't really compare it to the old ones, but I have heard people recommend it enthusiastically. My one bit of advice would be to stop into a dealer and make sure of the fit before you pull the trigger. Just like all helmets, the sizing varies from manufacturer to manufacturer...and all heads are different.
Signatures are the new black.

I just bought one in Eloy a week or so ago, and have only used it for ~20 jumps, but I sure like it so far. I thought the audible ports were a little high at first, but I turned my Pro-track upside down, and they work great now. I'm thinking of buying a chin cup and making a camera mount for it sometime this year, we'll see how it goes. Anyone have any experience making it a camera helmet?
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Anyone have any experience making it a camera helmet?

FYI, another thing I learned from the folks at Sq1:

They're bringing back the Hawkeye, too. They bought the molds & rights to both helmets from Arrow Dynamics when it closed. From what I remember them saying, it should be going into production sometime soon, now that the Aviator is in full-scale production.
Signatures are the new black.

Getting an Aviator the next days, too. Have jumped a Hawkeye for years and still do. Just want a helmet without any cameramounts for swooping. Really curious if they still have the same quality.
A friend wants to know if they have chin cups available and if those are included with the Hawkeye?
Regards
Tobi

Any news or updates on the Aviator regarding quality, comfort and fit?

I'm looking to buy one instead of the hurricane from skysystems. Could you compare them?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Funny this should come up again....
The "replacement" for my original problem Aviator has already fallen apart. I got it during the Texas State Record attempts 4/20/2007. So in less than 6 months a brand new helmet has completely fallen apart. The finish has flaked off, the trim has come off, the fabric that covers the bolt that holds the chin strap on has come loose. The helmet itself had what I can only describe as soft, thin spots where the audible ports are built into it that broke through leaving actual holes in the outside of the helmet. Saturday I went to pick it up to go to work and the chin strap came off. (Nut had worked it's way loose
off of the bolt.) At that point I chucked the thing in the garbage and went and bought a Hurricane. They did right by me by replacing the original helmet, but the new one turned out to be just as cheaply made.
Don't waste your money.

Mine is a piece-o-junk too. My finish is coming off every day, trim came off right away, padding is thin, audibles poke me in the head and dont even fit in the audible pockets, and the padding fell apart quickly. I have gaffers taped everything togather so it doesn't fall apart further but I plan on getting a new Bonehead or Cookie composites helmet.

Basically its not the best but it works.
Go buy a Cookie Helmet