cobaltdan

sneak peek: X-1 Wing

I say it's a 21-cell crossbraced canopy.:P
The nose looks very much like a Velocity, that's why I'd like to know how it performs compared to one. But I guess there's not much chance of getting an X-1 in the ~100 sq.ft. range down to S. America to try out any time real soon, is there?

I'm hesitant to dredge up the old debate again but why isn't it a 7-cell? Other than the X-braces is it different than an ordinary 7-cell except with 3 chambers per cell instead of 2? I'm not trying to be a smartass here just looking for a reasonable explanation. Also do the Velo, FX and Xaos-21 have different nose configurations?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Hey Dan,

So, it looks like a 27 cell crossbraced canopy.....

Have you ever known what you are talking about when it comes to skydiving?

Talk less, jump more.

There's a reason we were born with 2 ears and 1 mouth.

Looks thinner than the Onyx. Traditional crossbracing or the same as on the Onyx? Longer lineset in perportion to the size of the canopy than the Onyx? That was probably my biggest problem with the Onyx, the lineset felt way too short, killing a lot of potential dive.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hey Dan,

Talk less, jump more.

Educate more, bitch less. Oh, would please complete your profile too? :P

I hope that Chris can help me to find that 6 cells I can find or count ;).

Hey Dan,

Talk less, jump more.

Voice of reason as always, Brad, skygod extraordinaire among us mere mortals, invaluable source of priceless advice.:P

Talk less, jump more.

Hey,

Thanks for the great info, this is did not know. I'm sorry I miscounted cells. Obviously since you're perfect you might also be able to tell me more about the canopy?

Your post was useless, I made a mistake, big deal.

As for the other 6 cells I counted....well, ummm, yeah, can't explain. I guess I just counted fast and miscounted then rounded up? I don't know. I have no excuses.

My bad...

Still curious about the canopy though...

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Voice of reason as always, Brad, skygod extraordinaire among us mere mortals, invaluable source of priceless advice.:P

Yes......I am all knowing....

And what I know is that advice on DZ.com is about as useful as a handfull of poop. You can rarely count on the verbal diarrhea being either useful, or accurate.;) How's that for an invaluable source of priceless advice?

Talk less, jump more......now I'll agree 100% with that....:)

Thanks Chuck....

Some general specs:

The X-1 is a 7 cell (21 chamber tri-cell) X-brace wing. In fact the first tri-cell I have designed.

We have always produced canopies with slower high lift airfoils and short line sets, but the X-1 is a very different animal.
It uses a new high speed airfoil and a longer line set.

The X-1 was designed strictly for pro-level swoop competitors !
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Dan,

What were your design considerations/goals when you produced this wing?

With all the x-braces on the market, mind elaborating on what makes this one different/special/etc?

Not looking for the sales pitch mind you, just trying to figure out what makes this canopy different to other x-braces.

Thanks, looking forward to the info :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hi Dan.
From the picture you uploaded (and pictures posted by IMGR2 in the swoop forum), the frontal view of the nose (how the middle chamber is all closed up and the overall shape of the leading edge), line length, number of cross bracing in each chambers and etc.... looks very like Velocity, to me.
I don’t know if you remember, but I recall you saying to me you are very impressed with the velocity design (A while back in 2001 at x-keys). I am not saying that is a bad thing or anything. (I think some aspects of Sensi looks very like Velo, too.)
Would this be your version of an updated canopy to the existing x-braced canopies on the market?
I could not tell from the picture, but are there extra d-lines or anything that might make current velo’s d-line slacks on rear input diminish? Like Stiletto compare with Katana or Vengeance? What are differences between this new canopy and other x-braced canopies? Don’t tease us too much…

Hi Dan,

did you manage to license the X-brace technology from Bill Coe? I believe that patent is still valid, and building this in the US and distributing it in the US could be in violation of that patent.

Unless, you have somehow got around the patent issues, (hard to tell from the photo)

Kind Regards

Bushman