longtall

skyhook

we did a 4 way at sebastian today with a couple of up and coming skydivers. they were pulling high so we broke with them. i saw one of them have a mal and choped with a sky hook, I was impressed at how fast the reserve was open and flying. She was getting thrown around pretty good and the reserve opened with out line twist and she landed fine. Home owner called to say a parachute landed w/o a skydiver in her yard :P

I am a believer now.....

Her free bag also stayed attached to the main all the way down.... until the free bag snagged on some power lines... the main was found below.

From her mouth "the reserve was open before I could grab the reserve handle."

BTW, not only did she have her first cutaway this weekend, but she did her 100th today, yay Beth.

Got her with a Lemon Meringue pie. ;)

There are plenty of pics of skyhook deployments out there, but here are a few more I took yesterday of an intentional cutaway: http://www.skydivingstills.com/gallery/3302238.

I've seen a bunch of videos of it, but seeing it in person made me even happier to have one in my rig. Wish I could have tried it myself, but all we could get was a demonstration this weekend.

Dave

we did a 4 way at sebastian today with a couple of up and coming skydivers. they were pulling high so we broke with them. i saw one of them have a mal and choped with a sky hook, I was impressed at how fast the reserve was open and flying. She was getting thrown around pretty good and the reserve opened with out line twist and she landed fine. Home owner called to say a parachute landed w/o a skydiver in her yard :P

I am a believer now.....

If there was any doubt, there isn't anymore :) I was amazed at how quickly the reserve inflated. :)
At least I had one witness that I didn't cutaway over "a half of a line twist." :P;)

There are plenty of pics of skyhook deployments out there, but here are a few more I took yesterday of an intentional cutaway: http://www.skydivingstills.com/gallery/3302238.

I've seen a bunch of videos of it, but seeing it in person made me even happier to have one in my rig. Wish I could have tried it myself, but all we could get was a demonstration this weekend.

Dave

So do you have the RSL/Skyhook hooked up when you jump camera?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am a believer now.....

If there was any doubt, there isn't anymore :) I was amazed at how quickly the reserve inflated. :)
At least I had one witness that I didn't cutaway over "a half of a line twist." :P;)

In my experience reserve inflate slower when activated by a SkyHook.

Something to do with airspeed.:S
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have read most of these posts but still have a question about the skyhook. How dose it work if you think you might need to cut away your main on landing. Im not saying if I but what if you were landing in strong wind or water or othere situations where you would disconect your rsl after opening in preperation for a cutaway on the ground.

I have read most of these posts but still have a question about the skyhook. How dose it work if you think you might need to cut away your main on landing. Im not saying if I but what if you were landing in strong wind or water or othere situations where you would disconect your rsl after opening in preperation for a cutaway on the ground.

I asked Bill Booth the same question.

His answer was that the reserve would be at full line stretch and out of the bag almost instantly if your main is still inflated and acting like a sail when you cut it away.

The question becomes - will the reserve inflate or sit slider up in a ball on the ground. This is determined by the situation, but I got the impression that under most situations you would not get an inflated canopy.

My analysis... Any RSL will pop the reserve if you cutaway a main on the ground that is inflated, so the financial inconvenience is the same... But there is a slightly higher likelihood that the reserve becomes a sail too, so I choose to make it a slightly higher priority to disconnect the RSL if I know the landing is going to be under very high winds or on a roof.

Ok one more question. WHat happens on a full container lock and you cut then pull resurve but your main pin is still closed. will the skyhook still hold onto the main

To answer the question in a little more detail: Even if you cutaway and then pull the reserve handle with the main pin closed the skyhook will not interfere with the reserve deployment.
Owned by Remi #?

Okay one more question. What happens on a full container lock and you cut then pull reserve but your main pin is still closed. will the skyhook still hold onto the main

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Basically, it becomes a race between the Skyhook and the reserve pilot chute.
Which ever is pulling harder, faster, sooner will deploy the reserve.
If the main container remains firmly closed, the Skyhook will do absolutely nothing, because - as soon as the reserve pilot chute starts pulling - it will automatically disconnect the Skyhook. Then you get a standard reserve deployment, via the reserve pilot chute.

If the Skyhook is pulling harder, (i.e. falling away from a cutaway main) the reserve pilot chute will just flop uselessly off to the side.

very cool...Marta did good with her inventive mind in the base world that has moved over to skydiving.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Two separate time lines.
Two separate inventions.
Marta E, Mark Hewitt, Eric Fradet, Parafun, Basik Air Concept, et al. may have invented the Sorcerer BASE rig and Main Assisted Reserve Deployment (MARD) system, but the Skyhook is a separate, parallel invention from Bill Booth (Vector shop, Relative Workshop, United Parachute Technologies, or whatever they are calling themselves this week???).
Sorcerer uses a tuck tab - similar to the ends of steering toggles - while Skyhook uses a specialized piece of hardware.

I've been following this thread a little educating myself about it. The skyhook system looks like a lot of extra stuff on the rig - all the same when I get to the point of buying equipment I think I will go that route.

PS: MARD in french means "shit".

-Michael

I've been following this thread a little educating myself about it. The skyhook system looks like a lot of extra stuff on the rig - all the same when I get to the point of buying equipment I think I will go that route.

PS: MARD in french means "shit".

-Michael

MERDE is shit not MARDB|
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Thanks for clearing that up. I am still concerned about if you have to cut away once on the ground do to wind or a landing on a building.

No different than any other RSL - pull the tab on the Swiss shackle and it's disconnected.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Thanks for clearing that up. I am still concerned about if you have to cut away once on the ground do to wind or a landing on a building.

No different than any other RSL - pull the tab on the Swiss shackle and it's disconnected.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trivial point: RSL snap shackles are actually made in Sweden.
Just read what is written on the side.

MERDE is shit not MARDB|

That depends entirely on whether you're in France or quebec. Here it is pronounced mard (technically I think it's spelled marde).

Back on topic, does anyone have detailed photos or diagrams of the skyhook system? I tried googling it and the best I could find was a wiki entry but it had no visual details.

-Michael