pope

Do YOU have your living will made?

attached is a template that you can change to fit what you want.

use it or not, just don't get caught in the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" situation. Your friends and family will thank you for it later.

pope

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm in Gratuitous Transfers in law school right now, and there are lots of states which won't give credit to these types of documents. If you really want to have an effective will, living or otherwise, it is best to consult a lawyer.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

A local hospital is likely to have an instrument that is valid in the state that the hospital's in. In fact, in Houston, the VA hospital has their own form that they prefer be used whenever possible.

You should also have a medical power of attorney.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The best kind of "living will" is a single document that combines two elements: (a) advance health care directive (in which you state when/how to "pull the plug", etc.), and (b) a limited purpose power of attorney (in which you appoint the person to authorize the "pulling of the plug" to be done). The above-posted document is example of that; it combines both elements.
Yes, consulting a lawyer is always preferable; but having said that, I've seen and drafted an awful lot of these, and I think (THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE; CONSULT AN ATTORNEY) the example posted above would probably be upheld in most states if properly signed, witnessed and notarized.

Living wills are for the purpose of advance health care directives, and do not involve real or purported conveyance of assets, and thus probably don't implicate gratuitous transfers principles.
A "living will" and a "last will and testament" are two completely different types of documents, notwithstanding the similarities in their names.

Very good point.

Chris, Jack had a living will and I'm glad he did. When he arrived at the hospital he had a heart beat, but no brain activity. Our living wills stated that if two doctors said there was no brain activity, PUT THE PLUG.

My living will still stands, and I had a lawyer write and sign mine.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Cheers for that virus chris.

I know Chris, and there is no way he did that on purpose. Gee, like you have never made a mistake?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I know chris as well and also know he would never have done that on purpose guess i forgot the winking smile;)

Yup, a ;) makes all the difference in the world. You still have time to go back do an edit;) Never mind, you made it right.