ripcord

Experienced Skydivers, please help!

Hello,

I am on level 4 of the AFF program. After I complete level 8, I have been told I can rent gear from my DZ for $75 per day. I am looking for advice. If I am going to stay in the sport and had the money, should I buy my own rig after completion of the AFF program? Also, what size chute do you recommend for me at this stage? I am 195 lbs. Thank you.

Do a search. I'm pretty sure this and similar questions have been asked many times before. In general, though, try to downsize on student gear until you get down to around 1:1 wing loading, and then consider buying your first rig. That way it will last you perhaps 200 jumps or so before you get sick of it and want to get something more sporty.

In terms of what is suitable for you, that's a question best directed to your instructors. They know your skill level, size and weight. We don't.

not an experienced jumper here, but a noob with his own rig, so I figured I'd share my experience.

I am a zero budget jumper and I knew I'd want my own rig as soon as possible as I'd suffer over the rental fees every time I jump. knowing that with <100jumps you are supposed to stick to wingload <=1 I bought myself a rig with a main that gave me a wingload of around 1. I actually bought it way before I was able to jump it, so it was sitting there for about 6 weeks waiting for me to downsize on the rental rigs (230 during aff-210 first rental-190 middle point-170 my own main! put about 5-6 jumps I think at each level, almost all landings very stable). I was sticking to Spectres because that's what my rig has. So I started jumping my own rig before I got my A license. I am very happy about the way I did it.

benefits:
- in 6-7 days that I jumped my rig I saved ~$500
- commitment to one type of canopy I think helps build skill and confidence faster
- if I am at DZ I don't feel the pressure to jump a lot just because I've already invested in renting a rig. may be just my personal thing, but it did kinda bother me
- no need to worry that someone will get to DZ earlier and get your rig.
- at least for me, having my own rig gives me much more incentives to learn and inspect everything about it
- I can practice packing at home when I am bored :)
- just makes me feel good in general :)

drawbacks:
- I did not get a chance to try other brands/types of canopy/containers, but I don't really regret it at this point since I know very little about canopy control now anyways and probably wouldn't really appreciate the differences of different setups. At this moment I LOVE everything about my container and main.
- maintenance is now your responsibility

this is my experience. again with just over 30 jumps I am no expert, but I figured I'd still contribute to the discussion and may be experienced people would point out where my thinking is wrong which would also be valuable to me :P although I am too happy about my rig to listen at the moment ;)

If you are planning on continuing jumping then yes you should get your own rig, in the long run it will be cheaper. Also it will allow you to travel and jump in places that don't rent out gear. As far as canopy size you should get what you are comfortable with. The best thig when you are starting out is to get a used main, that way you can swap it out for not too much as you progress.

If you DO decide to buy gear immediately after finishing your AFF program, get your instructor's or rigger's help in purchasing a good USED system that will serve as a middle ground between the large student canopies you have been jumping and the smaller sport canopies that you will eventually want to jump. There are MANY good systems available for someone in your situation, often they are the systems that were used by people who WERE in your position and have now gained enough experience to downsize to smaller canopies and containers. Properly maintained and cared-for rigs can last for thousands of jumps. Look for systems with main and reserve canopies around 200-230 sq ft (certainly no less than 190 on the main), a BOC deployment system, and most importantly an ADD. Your rigger will be your best friend when trying to decide on what used gear is good for you. Don't buy anything without first consulting your rigger/instructor. They know you best and know what type of equipment will be best suited to you.

Blue skies and good luck!

So, you live in Elkhorn Wisconsin and you jump at Elsinore. Are you a Troll. Or do you commute on weekends?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Any rig manufactured in the last 10 years should be fine, as long as it has been properly cared for and maintained. Make sure you arrange for your rigger to inspect the gear BEFORE you buy it.

And I meant to say AAD in my previous post, not ADD. ADD is what I have when I am typing too fast. [:D]