mbondvegas

Used Rig Estimate Worksheet

I constantly See Questions about used gear prices on here. While there are many factors that effect the fair value...I think this spreadsheet may give one a good idea on what the reasonable value of undamaged gear is....this tool is a quick and dirty estimate only.

Check it out.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

*PSA*

If you do not have a Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel Powerpoint, Access), then you _may_ wish to consider using the Open Office suite of free MS _like_ applications for no charge (Free open source).

http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html

OO Writer = MS Word
OO Calc = MS Excel
OO Impress = MS PowerPoint
OO Base = MS Access

While not as robust as MS Office, it's about MS Office 98ish and fairly easy to navigate, create and imports MS stuff easily. If you do something in OO, just be sure to "Save as..." the MS file extension so others who do have MS can view it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I constantly See Questions about used gear prices on here. While there are many factors that effect the fair value...I think this spreadsheet may give one a good idea on what the reasonable value of undamaged gear is....this tool is a quick and dirty estimate only.

Check it out.

1. Containers, mains, and reserves really don't have a life time in years. Especially if they've spent time sitting in cool dry closets as some have - I didn't feel unsafe jumping a Paracommander from the sixties (but wouldn't want to jump one on a regular basis). Apart from a couple Mr. Bill jumps and a maybe 10 jumps while recovering from an injury I don't think I've jumped my Stiletto since 2003 or so. PD Reserves must be sent in for inspection after 40 pack jobs (or 25 uses, which a personal reserve will not have) although their life isn't necessarily over then. In theory that's 13 years with the US 120 day repack cycle, although some people don't jump in the off-season (20 years), and some people get their rig packed once a year (40 years). You need to actually count the slash marks on the label.

2. You neglect that prices drop as more modern gear becomes available. While canopies normaly depreciate at $1 a jump, you can find nearly new Sabres for $600-$700. Older reserve designs without span-wise reinforcing tapes should sell for less than newer ones. Containers with velcro should be worth less than those with tuck tabs.

3. Although $1/ a jump is a reasonable number for newer containers and mains, there's a stop to the depreciation which could be captured by a higher salvage value. With jumps remaining on the line set modern ZP canopies reach a bottom value of $400-$500. Needing a line set could knock a couple hundred off that. Modern containers from manufacturers that are still in business don't seem to drop below $350-400.

4. AADs are more complicated because the price must take into account time remaining on the batteries and inspection cycle. Generally, a Cypres-1 is considered to be worth

$80 trade-in value + (Original price - $80 trade-in) - $85 * (battery-age / 2) - ($160 inspection + $40 shipping both ways) * (years-since-scheduled inspection / 4)

But what do you use for original price? The dollar used to be stronger against the Deutsche Mark and Euro, so I paid $850-$900 for each of my cypresses in 1998 and 2000. People can claim that an original Cypres would sell for $1200 today but it costs $85 more every two years to maintain than a Cypres-2, or $510 over the 12-year life span so maybe we should start with the Cypres 2 price of $1300ish, subtract $510 from the added maintaencance costs, and end up with $800. Of course this still gets you a Cypres which isn't water proof (that's a $200 upgrade) so that might still be a little high. OTOH, the convienence of not having to come up with as much cash is worth it to some people for the higher over-all cost.

The required inspection dates are based on the original date of manufacture. If you buy my Cypres made on 3/16/2001 that's been sitting in my closet for a few years without having its 4-year and you send it in for inspection tomorrow, it'll still be due for its 8-year on 3/16/2009. It'll cost about $200 for the inspection + shipping to get it legal for the next 2 years and half the cycle will be gone; so I'd need to knock $300 off the price to be fair.
Original Cypres batteries are only good until the lesser of 2 years OR 500 jumps OR until an error code comes up. That may be an issue in a few cases.

In the other direction a Cypres with more time remaining on the batteries than its remaining life isn't valued any differently than one with a full two years left on the batteries.

Cypres 2s don't have the separate battery replacement to worry about.

5. Less popular gear sells for less regardless of original price.

6. Ugly gear is worth less. Neon, pink, and too many colors in total reduce the price.

7. Really new gear sells for less than just the depreciation numbers would indicate. Why take some one else's measurements and choice in colors when you can have your own? If you just want to avoid the long wait that some manufacturers have, you can find dealers that have bought slots in the future or buy from a manufacturers' stock of rigs that just need the harness finished to the customers' size.

8. Some gear sells for more due to supply and demand. Those of us with Samurais really like them and finding a used one priced close to $original - $1/jump might be hard.

Thanks. Now it makes more sense. I would add a column to adjust the canopy price for line replacement on fixed intervals too. Also might add a column for abnormal wear that we see on some rigs and mains. eg., poor condition = -15%, average=-0%, etc.

Thanks again

Blue skies,

Jim