james309

Raven Reserve

LOL, throw the gauntlet down there. I have a Raven in a rig and a PD in a rig. The raven and the PD have treated me fine. Note the raven is a Raven 1 and not the Micro Raven series that has been smacked around for being touchy on the flare...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Would do you load the Raven at?

I have never flown ANY reserve (I have been meaning to demo the same size smart that I have in my reserve tray) so when I got gear I had to go off of every one elses opinions.

Most of what I read, or heard from skydivers in person was that the old reserves don't like being over 1:1.

So is this mostly true?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have one jump on a Raven -M loaded at 1.1 to 1... flew it to a standup in the peas at Mesquite....1900 ft elevation.............

I have two jumps on my Raven r-Max.. I load it at 1.6 to 1
first one was at Jumptown and I did a standup in the pile of woodchips that was their version of the pea gravel.

Second one was at Lost Prairie...at 3600 ft elevation.. I decided to slide it in since it was HOT.. High Alti.... AND no wind at all... but I could have stodd it up with no problem..

All in all... I would say the Ravens I have used to save my life have served me quite well.

One of these days I may get to jump my PDR... I am pretty sure I will do quite well under it as well..

ALL of them beat the shit out of the other reserve rides I had back in the old days ...they were all rounds...I realllly like my new gear;)

spend your money on a rig with a pd reserve. it will probably have a better resale value and will deffinately be a better flying and landing reserve.

When is the last time you flew a Raven 3?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Jeannie, would you say the Ravens land a lot smoother than no canopy at all? That's why I'll jump one if that's my option. ;)

That said, I have been slowly spending the money to try and move to PDRs. Used ones, so I know they work. :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Lightly loaded Ravens fly pretty well. I have a bunch of jumps on Raven II's and III's as accuracy/BASE canopies. I wouldn't load them much over 1:1 though - they were not designed for that and do not handle heavy loadings well at all.

I have lots of reserve rides. I don't know where some people get there views, but both of those reserves land well when loaded at a range that you would want to land "out" with. The PD lands better loaded up, for someone that regularly lands a highly loaded canopy. The Ravens do better on the light end. If you get a lot of reserve experience, take some main packing lessons.