pchapman

TSE Teardrop - pilot chute grommets easily wear reserve loop?

I recently repacked a Teardrop rig, built in 2001, where the fingertrapped reserve closing loop was getting a lot of wear from the grommets in the external pilot chute cap.

The grommets are installed with the sharp ridge at the junction of the two parts of the grommet facing up, against the closing loop. It might have been better for them to have been installed facing the other direction.

I replaced the loop, and the repack card indicates other riggers had done the same nearly every year.

Is this normal on a Teardrop?

(I've only packed a couple, and I am waiting for a reply from the manufacturer.)

The photo shows the grommets, although the loop is already the new one.

When I was a RIT... Rigger In Training... I was taught to replace the reserve closing loop every repack and that's what I've always done... but I'm not 100% sure if thats written down anywhere?

I cannot speak for the Teardrop as I've never packed one, but if some system has a systemic problem or any particular rig has a specific problem which causes wear to the reserve closing loop, changing the reserve closing loop, even on every repack, may not prevent excessive wear.

What does the mfgr of the Teardrop say?

I was taught to replace the reserve closing loop every repack

I've heard that occasionally from the USA. Never ever heard about it locally (Ontario, Canada). Most local riggers do seem to note it on the reserve card when the loop is changed. But that gets into a whole other topic of rigging standards for another thread!

It doesn't help that the Teardrop manual says nothing about how to build a new loop. (And the way the old loop was built is of course not guaranteed to be right.)

I'll post again once I hear back from the manufacturer.

The problem - of rough edges on grommets - first reared its ugly head when Cypres was introduced (circa 1991) then re-surfaced during "Grommet Mania 2000."

Sounds like a quality control problem at Thomas Sports Equipment. Only the best dies leave smooth edges on grommets, and only when those dies are new. Grommet-setting dies wear with age and must be replaced every few years.

Even with prefectly-set grommets, it is still possible to damage the closing loop on a Teardrop (or Reflex, or any other single-pin Pop-Top) just slam it against the door frame long enough and hard enough!
This is similar to the parlor-trick of cutting Cypres cord with a smooth-faced hammer and an anvil.
Replacement closing loops for Teardrops are easy to make, just follow the supplemental sheet published by Reflex/Fliteline, circa 2000.

There was a safety notice put out by the BPA a few years ago, calling for the inspection of Teardrop SF Pilot Chute grommets, due to some loops being discovered worn. As far as I can recall, it a was mandatory to inspect, and reset the grommet if found to be sharp.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I did also find worn loops due to the rough edge left on a racer. Of course it also looked like the loop had not been replaced for several pack jobs. Speaking with RiggerRob, I suggested it may be button-holed like on a shirt with no hot-knife in use during manufacturing.. Has anyone heard of the manufacturers trying this technique instead?

Grant

There was a safety notice put out by the BPA a few years ago, calling for the inspection of Teardrop SF Pilot Chute grommets, due to some loops being discovered worn. As far as I can recall, it a was mandatory to inspect, and reset the grommet if found to be sharp.

Thank you! So it isn't an unheard of situation.

I couldn't subsequently find the bulletin anywhere on the web, and haven't heard back from TSE. The matter was briefly mentioned in a report from the BPA riggers' committee (www.bpa.org.uk/forms/council/Riggers%2011th%20April%202002.doc).
The report mentions a bulletin coming first from TSE.

A work mate of mine from a previous dropzone had a teardrop that popped on the ground due to wear from a sharp nick in the metal cap on the reserve pilot chute. lucky it was on the ground!!

So it has happened before.

definitely something to think about and inspect regularly!

Good luck,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix