AggieDave

Strangest CD I've bought in a LONG time

At Best Buy earlier and I couldn't help myself. There on the shelf was "Fade To Black: The Bluegrass Tribute To Metallica."

Talk about a funny/strange CD that is a lot of fun to listen to. I guess it helps that I really like Bluegrass. Ricky Skaggs its not, but its still a lot of fun to listen to. Its not going to top my list like Apocolyptica which is a heavy metal band that plays 4 cellos and have put out a couple of Metallica tribute albums.

The CD is definately a commercial bluegrass album, it doesn't have the raw and hometown type sound that the old bluegrass-masters have on their albums nor the same style of picking. Its an interesting take on things, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (1968)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogden's_Nut_Gone_Flake

When Stan looks up in the sky and sees only half the moon, he sets out on a quest to search for the missing half. Along the way he saves a fly from starvation, and in gratitude the insect tells him of someone who can answer his question and also tell him the philosophy of life itself. With his magic power Stan intones, "If all the flies were one fly, what a great enormous fly-follolloper that would bold," and the fly grows to gigantic proportions. Seated on the giant fly's back Stan takes a psychedelic journey to the cave of Mad John the hermit, who explains that the moon's disappearance is only temporary, and demonstrates by pointing out that Stan has spent so long on his quest that the moon is now full again. He then sings Stan a cheerful song about the meaning of life.

"Fade To Black: The Bluegrass Tribute To Metallica."

I saw that on amazon.com - it was suggested to me as something I might like (probably because of the Richard Cheese CD's that I've bought). I listened to the samples, and it sounded pretty good. There was a bluegrass tribute to Black Sabbath too, and some others...