FDNYinTHEsky

Good Helmets

Excellent, Thank you. I read some reviews on Bonehead Guner and it seems most people Did not like the chin strap because it came undone in free fall and they lost the helmet. Not my idea of fun.
-"It's amazing the kinds of things you think about when there's no time to think."

TOWER LADDER 44...FDNY, SOUTH BRONX

just get yourself a ProTec they offer good protection and they are cheap ($40). that way if you ever forget to fasten it properly going out the door of the plane it's not a lot of money lost, unless there is a ProTrack invovled. :o

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

Bonehead has since changed the design of the chin strap on the Guner - it's a standard fastex clip now, though if you buy a used one it may have the old "seat belt" style fastener on it. Bonehead will be glad to sell you a replacement fastex for about $10.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I just recently bought a cookie helmet,, i love it,, i used a Protec for 2 years, I like my cookie helmet cause its nice and quiet and of course it fits well..
alot of ppl have bonehead helmets, i hear those are good too. you might want to check out skydanceheadgear, they got some good helmets i hear also,, ask some of your fellow jumpers at the DZ what they like and why,, the pros' and cons of their helmets.
helmets come in diff flavors, if you love/like RW, fullface is nice to have, ,, freefly, open face,
not saying thats what you have to have for that peticular discipline, just look at what other jumpers are wearing and for what reasons.. good luck!!

Excellent, Thank you. I read some reviews on Bonehead Guner and it seems most people Did not like the chin strap because it came undone in free fall and they lost the helmet. Not my idea of fun.

I've had a Guner for the last 2 years and never had a problem with it...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Jon,
I would go with the ProTec for now and save your $$$ for the full-face that you will eventually want.

The ProTec offers better protection than most other skydiving helmets anyway.

You can always pimp it out like Andy C showed.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ive had a protect for a few years, put lots of stickers on it so i dont look like a student, gaffa taped the vent holes to make it quieter and less windy, and it was cheap as chips, small modification with a bungee so it can take an audible, just waiting for my full face now, which i could buy earlier cos of the money i saved using a pro-tec B|

...save your $$$ for the full-face FRAP HAT that you will eventually want. :P

Hey! I was telling what HE should do, not what WE do.
:D

I broke down and bought a hard shell. I got tired of the fuzzy pics from the camera mounted to the frap hat.
:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I read some reviews on Bonehead Guner and it seems most people Did not like the chin strap because it came undone in free fall and they lost the helmet. Not my idea of fun.

Be smarter than they were. Learn how to operate the buckle on the ground before jumping it. Problem solved.

I have a Gunner with the seat belt style buckle and I love it. It's the quietest and most comfortable open face helmet on the market. Bonehead takes very, very good care of their customers, and they are located in the same country as you are so if you ever have a problem you won't have to deal with customs to get the problem fixed.

But like others have said, best bang for your buck right now would be to buy a Protec.

Deff a good idea, Anyone have any thoughts on the protec half helmet?

I have a protec half and full helmet. The half moves around more than the full and provides no protection for your ears from the risers. The full is cheap and offers more protection than most (if not all) other helmets.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Be smarter than they were. Learn how to operate the buckle on the ground before jumping it. Problem solved.

But Lisa, it's so much easier to blame someone else! I agree; I had no problems with the seat-belt style clip. When I bought it the dealer mentioned that it would be smart to always give the strap a good tug when I fastened it, and I have always kept up that habit.

I replaced the seat belt style because it got corroded with my salt water landing (that was the one thing I forgot to rinse out immediately with fresh water) and would get stuck and was almost impossible to unhook the latch. By that time Bonehead was only using the fastex clips, so that's what my replacement is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

just get yourself a ProTec they offer good protection and they are cheap ($40). that way if you ever forget to fasten it properly going out the door of the plane it's not a lot of money lost, unless there is a ProTrack invovled. :o

I've managed to get away with a couple times where I didn't fasten it - stays on my head very securely. But yeah, the audible would be the much bigger loss.

Ive been using a leedom scream helmet. its a snowboard helmet. I removed the goggle strap holder and the vent slider to make it snag free. i think i spent $35 for one on ebay.

here is an auction going on right now for a large. but there are other sizes available in other auctions. I like it because it offers decent protection. Just as good if not better than pro-tec.:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEEDOM-SCREAM-BLUE-SNOWBOARD-SKI-HELMET-LARGE-56cm_W0QQitemZ180092750101QQcategoryZ36260QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

For what its worth, I heard somewhere that a pro-tec offers a lot better pro-tec-tion than lots of more expensive makes.

If I were you, I'd go try some on. Sometimes, depending on your headshape, the helmet chooses you.

I've got a cookie. Its worked (so far) and nice and quiet.

Hope that helps.

:)
but what do I know

I used a protec for a while. Real cheap but real noisy, I couldn't hear my audible. So I got an evo. It fit my head better than most others. They run small so make sure you measure your head correctly. The forehead padding could be better but it is nice and quiet.
I'd give it 3.5 outta 5 stars.

just get yourself a ProTec they offer good protection and they are cheap ($40). that way if you ever forget to fasten it properly going out the door of the plane it's not a lot of money lost, unless there is a ProTrack invovled.

You speak as though you are a man who had this very event occur to him. :P

ProTecs are also very quiet if you pimp them out as a pelt. www.peltheads.com I never had a problem hearing my audible without the fur on it, but it really does cut out a lot of noise that way.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hey you! I agree with everyone about the ProTec. I bought mine for $20 and JUST bought a full face recently when I started doing more 4-way. I do have an audible mounted in mine, and I feel like the full one keeps your ears warmer in winter. They do look kind of dorky, but just decorate it with stickers or something. I love my ProTec. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091