LisaM

Kitties... how much is too much

How much is it normal for them to squabble enough that one is on top of the other and the other is making a noise I associate with fighting?

They started out playing around for about 10 minutes. Then for about the last 15 they have been getting into a wrestling match about every 2-3 minutes.

ACK!

Yes, they have only known each other for 6 days.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I have read not to stop it unless there is blood. So I plug my ears when I hear Lucy (she's 2 months and less than 1/2 the size of 4 month old Maya). She's not doing it loud like the kind that would make my hair stand on end.

My son is completely freaking out. I told him to stop staring at them if it bugs him. It's like a train wreck for him... he can't help himself. :P

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Opinion: Cats are pre-programmed to learn hunting and, well, certain skills as kids, so they practice. Also, they are solid bundles of energy and need to exercise a lot. If one of them actually hurts the other accidentally, you will know it by the type of scream and they will probably back off for a bit. One of them will be dominant after a while, but I'm not sure that is why they're wrestling. They will mess around like that for nearly their whole lives. Its what cats do. If they didn't like each other, you would know it.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Hahaha.... doubtful yet. They'll get there. Course Lucy just squeeled rather loud as I typed that.

For the most part they are doing good.... I just have never owned anything that lived outside water much less TWO of them!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Cats are pre-programmed to learn hunting and, well, certain skills as kids, so they practice. Also, they are solid bundles of energy and need to exercise a lot. If one of them actually hurts the other accidentally, you will know it by the type of scream and they will probably back off for a bit. One of them will be dominant after a while, but I'm not sure that is why they're wrestling. They will mess around like that for nearly their whole lives. Its what cats do. If they didn't like each other, you would know it.

Perfectly said.

Lisa, they're babies. Babies will run, attack, leap, fall, scream, fight, wrestle, explore and climb. It's part of what they do, and how they learn survival skills.

I promise. Those squeaks? Nothing to worry about. You'll know the sound you need to worry about when you hear it...it is a totally different sound than what you're hearing now. It's a yowl/growl/scream, and you will not mistake it for anything but what it is.

They will attack each other from behind and above. They will leap from chairs onto each other. They will pounce onto each other, the one on the bottom immediately laying down and rolling onto her back so she can use all 4 paws. They will scrabble, wrestle, wrangle, play tag, chase invisible friends, lurk-and-pounce, and all sorts of other games. And this is NORMAL.

Go look at some video on youtube or something like that, and you'll get an idea of what a real cat fight is (and no, I don't mean the women).

Hang in there, it's normal.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

20 Bucks - that is the most I'll let them pay.

I'd be worried about the skill of a Vet that only charges $20 for a spay/neuter....

So would I

But I was talking about the "Kittys"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As I type this, they are both laying on a pillow on my lap.

B|

That's the primary reason I don't think they hate each other, or are doing anything other than kitty play when they "fight". If they really hated each other, they'd not do that.

So again, you're just dealing with two kittens, one 2 1/2 months and one who is 4 months. There is going to be tons of play, and lots of fun time for them (which can scare us, because we don't understand how they play).

They're doing really well, and I'm pretty pleased for you.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I am pleased too. They are no longer underfoot all the time (literally) like when I am trying to empty the dishwasher. But they are both there to greet me in the morning. It is great! I will just continue to plug my ears when they squabble.

It was making me giggle pretty hard when Luck would climb in a box we cut holes in. Maya would sit outside and they would take turns swatting at each other. Sooo cute!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?