brierebecca

Why Law School Sucks...And What I'm Doing About It

Grrrr.....I just had something yesterday get my panties in a wad. So I'm retaliating.

There is an inexplicable tendency on the part of law students (at least at FSU) to not share their freakin class notes! It's the most idiotic thing ever. Personally, I don't think having my notes is really going to help someone do better than me on an exam, but it will help them form their own opinions or appreciation on a subject discussed in class.

So I asked a student in one of my classes for notes this weekend. I was completely honest in the email, and told her that it's my last semester and I have bad senioritis and there are a few places where my notes are a little fuzzy. And asked for her notes on those places. The bitch said NO! And I'm taking the class pass/fail - it's not like I'm jeopardizing her class rank or something.

But yesterday, the day after she said no, a guy asked me for notes right in front of her. I said "SURE! Give me your email address!" And the revenge was so sweet that I'm handing out notes, study guides, outlines, everything. To anyone who asks, and some people who didn't ask. (Hey Marianna, want some GREAT GT materials?) And I take GREAT notes (most of the time), and I have friends who are in the top 10 in the class, who have given me their outlines and study guides.

Take THAT, you selfish note-hoarding bastards! I'll be done with you in T minus 3 weeks!

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

That's ridiculous. Your notes are the data, anyway--it's the application on the exam that law professors care about. It's not like confidential work product that has some sort of secret code to presenting all the proper arguments, avoiding the red herrings, and spotting all the right issues. If she's that worried about you getting a leg up, she's missing the point entirely.
TPM Sister #102

Hey Brie,

I got a chuckle out of your post. (It was a knowing chuckle though...). Sorry you encountered such an asshole, oh, and thanks for the offer. I wish I could say that I'm surprised that law students could reach such a level of lameness, but last year, some asshole hid all the books in the library that we were supposed to be using for the open memo. I, on the other hand ended up giving out the cases that I found to a bunch of people in my class, and I still ended up getting the highest grade on the memo. Just shows you that someone elses notes arent really going to make a difference. By the way, if its GT notes you missed, I'd be happy to forward to you what I have. (though my attention span in that class is pretty limited).

Marianna:)

I've heard similar stories from friends in law school here (that law students won't share notes). It's strange because my medical school class was just the opposite. We ALL shared notes with each other, and we hired a Canner each year for the purpose of taking notes to share with the class. They were posted on our class website. Even though it's competitive, we pretty much all helped each other out. Camaraderie made medical school kinda fun.

I'm glad you responded like you did. Sweet.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I feel your pain. My Torts outline is up to thirteen pages. Contracts is fourteen.

Add to that my PC is crapping out ($3000 for a new Mac) and I need to buy into BarBri. ($3000)...And I have no discretionary income.

I am going to file a lawsuit against my girlfriend's law school for loss of consortium.

I advise you all to buy stock in Samuel Adams Beer today, as I will be drinking an ocean of it after finals....

Who decided to base 100% of the grade on one final???
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Grrrr.....I just had something yesterday get my panties in a wad. So I'm retaliating.

There is an inexplicable tendency on the part of law students (at least at FSU) to not share their freakin class notes! It's the most idiotic thing ever. Personally, I don't think having my notes is really going to help someone do better than me on an exam, but it will help them form their own opinions or appreciation on a subject discussed in class.

So I asked a student in one of my classes for notes this weekend. I was completely honest in the email, and told her that it's my last semester and I have bad senioritis and there are a few places where my notes are a little fuzzy. And asked for her notes on those places. The bitch said NO! And I'm taking the class pass/fail - it's not like I'm jeopardizing her class rank or something.

But yesterday, the day after she said no, a guy asked me for notes right in front of her. I said "SURE! Give me your email address!" And the revenge was so sweet that I'm handing out notes, study guides, outlines, everything. To anyone who asks, and some people who didn't ask. (Hey Marianna, want some GREAT GT materials?) And I take GREAT notes (most of the time), and I have friends who are in the top 10 in the class, who have given me their outlines and study guides.

Take THAT, you selfish note-hoarding bastards! I'll be done with you in T minus 3 weeks!

:)
Brie

Back in '85 I was the only one in my law school with a computer. My Torts outline was LEGENDARY. I heard of it being used years after I left. I shared freely.

One prof let everyone bring in ONE page of notes for finals. I shrank about 40 pages onto one sheet of paper and passed it out. The maggots had to use magnifying glasses to see the tiny pages that were tiled onto one. It was a hoot. Mine was the only sheet that was INDEXED, though. Advantage, good guy.

3Ls don't have to study, do they??? :P
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I feel your pain. My Torts outline is up to thirteen pages. Contracts is fourteen.

Add to that my PC is crapping out ($3000 for a new Mac) and I need to buy into BarBri. ($3000)...And I have no discretionary income.

Ugh. I'm not doing BarBri. $3000 to sit and watch videos, or sit and watch some boring guy give a lecture isn't my thing.

My bar review class started three weeks ago. It's more expensive than BarBri, but welll worth it I think. We get:
Practice former bar exam essays and performance segments graded by actual bar exam graders (with extensive feedback)
Personal tutoring
Extensive outlines, tapes, and workbooks, with instructors that actually go over your answers to make sure you understand.
Classes eight hours a day, four days a week, only twenty people per class.
Oh... intensive work on multistate questions and the six day PMBR multistate class is also included.

BarBri... no thanks.
:S

Brie,

Before law school I studied electrical engineering at UC Berkeley. Students helped each other out all the time with shared notes, mentoring, tutoring etc. When I went to law school the scene changed completely. The law students, for the most part, were so competitive that they viewed any help given to a fellow student as a threat to their own class ranking. It was stupid and made law school a less than pleasant experience. There were a few jumpers in my law school and they were the exception to the rule. They were helpful to others (not just to fellow jumpers) , freely shared class notes and were generally "nice". They didnt take themselves so seriously as future big shots like most of their cohorts did. Coincidence? I wonder.

Mark
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Must be the difference between disciplines. THe whole competitive thing with lawyers or something because Grad School for comp sci is ALL ABOUT THE NOTES! :D

Seriously, we share everything - even have Yahoo Groups set up to share old tests and quizzes, solutions guides to the books, and the lectures themselves from the guys that take the classes from home/work. It's nutty. It's like a NERD Mafia! Not that I'm doing incredibly well because of it but I love it!B|

I love your revenge though!:);)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

That's ridiculous. Your notes are the data, anyway--it's the application on the exam that law professors care about. It's not like confidential work product that has some sort of secret code to presenting all the proper arguments, avoiding the red herrings, and spotting all the right issues. If she's that worried about you getting a leg up, she's missing the point entirely.

not at all.. if you cant listen to a lecture and accurately record the important details from it... you arent going to be a very good lawyer..

good, solid note taking skills IS one of the things you are supposed to be learning.(should have learned already actually) Paying proper attention, sorting and recording what is valuable from what is meaningless has broad applications to nearly every profession.

those who rely on someone else's ability are cheating themselves, the education system and devaluing the degree the are seeking..it hass nothing to do with competition and everything to do with making sure YOU have the skills to perform the job you are studying for...

I already want to fire a recently graduated developer who simply cant write initial design documents.. sure his code is usually lovely, but he can only do part of his job.. why? because his roommate help with/did all the documentation work he was supposed to be learning to do himself...

all the modern (and not so modern, frats have long since had test files) sharing of tests, quizes, notes and term papers mean fewer and fewer 'educated' individuals are actually Qualified for the degrees they 'earned'.

School....it can bring out the worst. Wait til people try sabotaging your notes or stealing them to put you at a disadvantage.

Whats really irritating about people like that is they will be oh so freindly and chummy when the shoe is on the other foot.

She will reap what she sows.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I was always giving out my notes. My notes were always considered great because I acually organized the notes on my computer as I was taking them. I rarely needed to use anybody's notes, but could usually get access because I knew who I could ask at all times.

I NEVER used anyone else's outline, though. Outlining was the only wya I could get the stuff to sink in.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I was the same way. Taking my semester's notes and reordering them into study outlines was half of my studying. It was the only way I could effectively conceptualize some of that material.

We had a cpl of people that treated their notes and outlines like treasure and would never think of giving them out. I was never like that. We shared around our outlines and used them to beef up the sections that were "fuzzy" (usually from me not going to class that day!!!)

Good luck on your exams!!!! Next year you'll actually get to enjoy the holidays!!!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I studied Comp Eng, and we had a similar all-for-one ethos. Almost everyone, with one or two exceptions, was happy to share notes, tutor others, and generally be nice. And those that didn't weren't those who ended up at the top of the class either!

And yes, in my Uni, the Business students didn't cooperate at all. Their loss.