thrillstalker

to experienced jumpers... i need some advice

i just finished aff. i have my jumps to 25 already paid for. i have some really good questions to ask instructors, but i feel that i dont know enough of the right questions to ask. there is still so much i dont know about that i dont really know what questions to ask. i want to learn as much as i can while i still have easy access to instructors and coaches, and get as much out of my jumps as possible. any help with "what to ask?" is greatly appreciated.

thanks
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Try reading one of the books (Parachute and its Pilot, Skydiving, Jump, etc) or watching one of the introductory videos. Either of those should give you some ideas of questions to ask, including "How come you taught me A and this video says B?"

You can also look at the A card and see what's on there, and figure out for yourself the physical skills needed for each item. Then you'll have lots of questions to ask -- how to develop those physical skills.

And yeah, good instructors will not only answer your question, they'll answer the question you really should have asked but didn't know enough to -- that's what makes them good instructors.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Go hang out at the DZ as much as you can too. Listen to people talk, when people are working on their gear or talking to people like that old fart or Mike G. go ease drop. When appropriate ask questions. Ease dropping will likely result in more 'new' questions too. FWIW, I'm still asking questions and learning. I don't think you can ever learn it all about this sport. Welcome to the sport!

my thoughts: do some Cessna jumps, couple hop and pops at 3.5 or 4.5 or 5.5....... start spotting the aircraft. do some 2 way RW jumps, then 4 way. there are many ways to have fun and learn some different things.. that's what is great fun.. get some help on all of this, of course.

if its your worried that the questions you will ask are dumb, dont worry.

the only dumb questions are the questions that are not asked - be a sponge and soak up all the info that you can get, just make sure that your getting it from an instructor or someone qualified to answer the Q's

after hours buy a case of beer, sit and have a bs/what if session with them, you can learn a ton and have alot of fun doing it.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Start reading the document at this link. Keep a pencil and paper at hand as you read. I bet that you will find lots to ask about. Make a list of your questions. Don't be afraid to bring your written list to your instructors and work your way through it with them.

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section4/tabid/166/Default.aspx

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You guys keep talkin' about "old fart" here...I'm starting to develop a complex and a fear that you might be talkin' 'bout me.
[:/]

Shirley, you mean somebody else.

OK, OK, maybe that was a little obscure....surely you mean somebody else.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In the SIM (link provided above), read the ISP (Integrated Student Program), categories E and above and do the quizes at the end of each category. There is a section for each category on your yellow progression card. As you do the jumps for each category be sure to have your instructor/coach sign off on your yellow card.

As you read each category make notes about things your don't fully understand or questions you think of.

By the time you complete all of the category quizes you will be prepared to take your A license test.

Right now, you're probably more concerned with how to fall stable and land standing up, but as you progress, here are some things you could be asking. In general, there's emergency procedures, knowing your rig and canopy, packing, general etiquette, airplane operations, jump run, exits, formations, what to do when things don't go right, landing patterns, just to name a few things.

How do group separations work? Why do belly flyers go before freeflyers?
How do I know how many seconds to give the group ahead of me?
How do I give someone a pin check? Some rigs are so different.

How do I get back from a long spot being downwind? Do I do anything different depending on the headwind?
What do I do if I'm on final and overshooting?

What are some of the basic RW formation names? What's a donut, pod, cat, wedge, diamond, stairstep, bipole look like?
If I get low on the formation, how do I get back up?
If I'm really low and can't get up to the formation, what should I do?
What do I do differently depending on where I am on the exit; what's the difference between rear-float, front float, rear diver, front diver, or in 4-way (point, tail, inside/outside center) ?
What do I do if I'm first out the door?

How do I check line continuity, how can I tell if my canopy is hooked up right?
What are the critical things in parachute packing?
How do I get this f'ing thing in the damn bag????
How do I tell if my collapsable pilot chute kill line is too short?
How do I take my risers off, to flex the 3 rings, and put back on?
What's the difference between a throwout and a pullout pilot chute?

You guys keep talkin' about "old fart" here...I'm starting to develop a complex and a fear that you might be talkin' 'bout me.

Hehe, we love you 'old' guy and you know it!! :P

Other than talking to local people, suggest you do a lot of reading. Pick a topic and do some searches here on dz.com. There's lots of good info, but you have to sort through the cranks and radicals and take the info in aggregate to form your own opinion.

Brian Germain has a bunch of good stuff at http://bigairsportz.com/article.php plus his books are great, recommend Parachute and it's pilot. Dan Pointer's "the Skydiver's handbook" is a great reference.

There some good articles on PD's website http://performancedesigns.com/support.asp?filter=sport.

Ask somebody at your DZ if you can borrow back-issues of Parachutist and Skydiving Magazine. Lots of good instructional articles there.

Hehe, we love you 'old' guy and you know it!! :P

Might be right ... but I think some of the younger crowd has seen that too ...

At risk of showing MY age (and if I'm remembering it correctly), the correct response there is along the lines of "and stop calling me Shirley" ...
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

...At risk of showing MY age (and if I'm remembering it correctly), the correct response there is along the lines of "and stop calling me Shirley" ...

Bingo!
All this time I thought you were one of those young whippersnappers....
:D:D:P

Mitch, I got answers and I got questions...come talk to me.

Answers: Free
Correct answers: $0.50

My question: When are you going to bring me that petite, blonde, blue-eyed coed that we talked about, eh?
:D

nah ... I just got a late start ... at 45. I almost started back around '78, via a couple my girlfriend and I played cards with who both jumped, but she went in and that put a big damper on my developing enthusiasm. It wasn't until 2000 when I met someone (who started back in the round days) who told me about all the advances in equipment and training and I decided to give it a go. I'm not ancient, but yeah .... in spite of what might take place in my head, most days my body tells me that whippersnapper doesn't apply to me these days (at least most days ... LOL!!)
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Mitch, I got answers and I got questions...come talk to me.

Answers: Free
Correct answers: $0.50

My question: When are you going to bring me that petite, blonde, blue-eyed coed that we talked about, eh?
:D

as soon as i find her.

well, maybe as soon as i find her friend. you can have the chubby one.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."