Tonto

American drivers.

An automatic will drive like it is programmed to drive. A manual is programmed by the driver in real-time. An economy-class car with an automatic will not perform as well as the same car with a manual. A premium car...BMW, Jaguar, etc...with an automatic will generally perform as well or better than the same car with a manual.

I've been driving a sport car with a manual for 5 years now.

Looking at picking up a new truck here in the next few months... it will be an automatic.

I think manuals are best for sports cars, trucks that routinely do hard work, and commuter cars for people who place a high priority on fuel economy. Automatics are better where comfort is a priority, including mid-size and bigger sedans, and trucks that only see relatively normal use. My truck rarely hauls more than a few hundred pounds (tho I've done 1.5 tons), rarely tows more than 2-3 tons, and 4-low gets the occasional low-end work/getting unstuck accomplished, so an automatic works well for me. Unless I come into some serious money soon, my next car will not be an M-5, thus I have to pick between sporty or luxury, and the transmission will match that decision.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

There are a couple of things I like about Manual.
When your battery is flat.. you can push it and start it.

This is possible with an automatic, but it helps to have a car do the pushing... :P

When you break down, you can tow it with a rope.

Same with an automatic, that's what the "N" is for.

It's way lighter on gas.

That's not always true.

It's way lighter on brakes.

This is widely true, but many automatics are now becoming a bit smarter, and shifting down with braking.

You have a variable means of how you apply power to the road surface through the clutch.

Actually, an automatic is better at this. A clutch will eventually burn out.

You can pretty much fix it yourself - unlike automatic gearboxes.

That's true.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The only down side to a stick is if you injury your arms or your legs and then all of a sudden driving can be difficult if not impossible.

Sticks aren't very fun in traffic jams on NYC's Westside highway (...or FDR for that matter).

That's "parking" not "driving".

Automatics are better for parking with the motor running because you don't have to tire your leg on the clutch or put it in and out of neutral.

I drive a stick shift, and arrange living+working locations so I don't have to park on the road. Except when driving to DZs in the pacifc northwest.

[
Actually, an automatic is better at this. A clutch will eventually burn out.

Not if you don't use it! I've driven standards all my life and have put over 100,000 miles on a truck and never touched the clutch or drive train. I was taught, "the clutch is to get you moving. Other than that, keep your foot off of it!" I've driven standards in everything from VW 'beetles' to big rigs and everything in-between. It's just however you are taught.

Chuck