dmcoco84

How do I get around this? Need Ideas…Help!

I’m trying to finish my Bachelors degree at a local University. I have a crazy schedule and I do not have time to attend class. The University offers online classes but after registering I found out they have a BS policy that you have to live 50+ miles away in order to be allowed to take the Online Program. I live 26 miles away.

I went to the local community college and took every class online for my AS degree and I live 5 minutes away. I totally don’t understand this policy and the registration people I talk to just say, “that’s the policy and it won't be changed for one person.” WTF!!!! >:(>:(

I spoke to the Online Coordinator to put in a change of address (using a friend’s address who lives 70 miles away but still In-State) but she needs proof. (Either DL change, a bill, or copy of the lease) I told her I am just living with my buddy and I’m not on the lease and have not yet changed my DL. I left off saying I’d work on getting the proof.

Anyone got any ideas?

Coco

P.S. Online classes cost the same as if I were going to class. I’m not saving money so I in no way would be cheating the university out of money by lying about my address to take online classes.

You can buy a lease agreement form at any stationary store. Just fill it out with your friends info. That should take care of the lease. I doubt they will even try to verify it. I'm sure they don't really care, they just need to cover their asses and follow procedure.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

This is the sort of thing that could come up on a FD entrance exam/interview/psych eval/polygraph.

:D Well Polygraphs are easy to pass. All you have to do is breath normally and control your heart rate. That’s all they read. Changes in vital signs and perception from the tester about the person being tested. That is why they aren't admissible in court. I've already been all the way though 2 cities application process. It won't hurt me. BASE busts are a bigger concern.

Plus I'm looking at going to medical school to become a PA anyway so that why I really need to finish my bachelors ASAP.

Coco

well..the simplest thing i can suggest is call your bank and switch your address to have a statement delivered there...show it to them as proof of residencey...then change it back. I have never come across as institution that denied a bank statemnet as prrof or residency. If you dont have the time to do that jsut do a mock lease and have it notorized to make it official. Both of you will know that its BS...but the school wont. B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I’m trying to finish my Bachelors degree at a local University. I have a crazy schedule and I do not have time to attend class. The University offers online classes but after registering I found out they have a BS policy that you have to live 50+ miles away in order to be allowed to take the Online Program. I live 26 miles away... Anyone got any ideas?

Their policy is designed to keep teachers employed, not to give you an education. Just like some universities require that you take a certain number of classes during the summer for a degree, to keep teachers working in the summer. They should be more concerned about giving busy people the education they need. The teachers are there to serve the students, not the other way around. They tend to forget that little detail.

So, just lie. Sign an affidavit, and take the online classes.

When I got out of the Marines and moved to Florida, I signed up for college classes and they wanted me to pay out-of-state tuition prices, since I hadn't lived there for at least a year. I explained that I moved my family there, lived in an apartment there, had a full-time job there, had children enrolled in school there, paid taxes there, and was therefore a full-time resident of Florida. It didn't matter - they wanted me to pay double-rate for my classes. So I went to the courthouse and signed an affidavit saying I was a Florida resident, took that to the college, and got my tuition reduced to in-state rates.

Yeah, it's lying. But the rules are stupid and deserve to be circumvented. Your education is more important than their stupid rule which would prevent you from getting it.

If you want to go the legal route, protest the policy all the way to the top of the heirarchy if necessary, explain your circumstances, and ask for an exception.

Flame away, all yea who stay within the lines as told by authorities who "know better".

If they actually do write up a sub-lease and get it notarized, and hey pays, say, $1 to his friend, then what difference does it make legally?

Criminally? I don't see what is being broken, except that certain parts of the penal code in regards to fraud could apply. However, he's in VA, so who knows, I don't. Civilly I think that if the university found out they could drop his classes and place him in bad standing for trying to subvert the schools honor code and/or policies.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sure they could, but with reference to your comment about this showing up at interviews and such, why would it matter?

To an interview board they could see this as an overt attempt to subvert a written policy of an organization. In other words, an interview board could see such actions as an example of less then ethical actions and the ability for the person to make decisions that serve nothing but to benefit the individual by breaking the rules.

The public service industry doesn't look kindly upon that sort of thing. That goes for PD, FD, EMT, etc.

Their policy is designed to keep teachers employed, not to give you an education.

Actually, at the community college I attended, There were a number of teachers who no longer taught lecture classes. They had 6 different online classes, most of which were each different curriculums. Just because classes are online, does not put teachers out of work. Lesson plans, tests and grading still have to be done. Lots of tests can be done though multiple choice but research papers and such can not grade themselves.

Coco

They call it subversion, I call it creative problem solving.

I can understand that. I'm not weighing any sort of personal opinion on the moral or ethical choices of something like this. I just saw in his profile that he wanted to be a firefighter and thought I'd bring it up. Trying to help him think outside of his current problem.

Do your parents live in the same state? If so, use their address if its far enough away.Surely you can use that.I know I used my parent's address for alot of stuff while going to school.Plus, since I was a college student and only living in the same town as the college b/c I was a student, I was considered a "transient citizen" of that town and didnt legally have to change my address on my DL.Heck this town has a population of about 40K but the govt census doesnt count "transient citizens" for the census,so we actually have about 16K students plus thousands of inmates (also considered transient) at any of the 9 correctional facilities here that arent included in the census.

Or if you want to do a change of addy...go get a PO box as your mailing address.My husband uses our PO box on his DL since he works at the prison and doesnt want any of the inmates who often work with the paper pushers at the unit knowing our physical address.(b/c there have been cases of inmates being released and showing up at officer's houses to confront them..even though its a felony).Some colleges use your mailing address rather than your physical address for policies like that b/c they know most students dont have a permanent address b/c they're in and out of dorms or apartment hopping every semester.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Boy, you can tell when an Aggie is in the house-one of the few schools that still takes an honor code seriously...Sad Truth

That's changing as time marches on. The school has changed quite a bit since 1999 and its due to the culture of the school having changed. Hopefully something will help turn things around and keep the school from becoming like every other major university in the nation.[:/]

This is the sort of thing that could come up on a FD entrance exam/interview/psych eval/polygraph.

Why would it matter? Would the Fire Department exclude a candidate for being honest and saying he lied about his address to get into a class?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I live with my rents. And Since medical school is gonna cost 55K I'm gonna stay here till I finish. Saves me a shit load! And I'm only 22 so its not wierd yet.

eh, I moved out of my parents place at 22 to transfer to a different college 120miles away.Its nice b/c they're just far enough to stay out of my business,but still close enough to go home and visit or help out if they need me on short notice.It wasnt really weird living w/my parents @ 22,but I know our relationship got alot better/closer once I moved out.

good luck with med school.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Find a dropzone that's far enough away and move there

That would be good if I actually skydived much anymore. If I'm moving, its to Switzerland or Norway for BASE. And I need to be a PA first so I can find work.

It wasnt really weird living w/my parents @ 22,but I know our relationship got alot better/closer once I moved out. ***

Nah, my rents are pretty chill, I have one side of the house to myself so I have my privacy and they don't mind that I BASE either so we have no issues.

Coco