kgroves233

Kill line replacement on pilotchute

I want to replace the kill line in my pilotchute. I was going to use 725 lb spectra line. I was told to make it 6 to 8" longer to allow for line shrinkage, which should occur during the next 30 or so jumps. Does anyone have any suggestions for me concerning the line replacement. Does the above process sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Kim

A skydiver maintaining his gear during the winter months, cool!

I can't imagine it shrinking that much in so few jumps. I have never experienced that.

If concerned about this, a person could just make sure the amount of line fingertrapped inside is long enough so that it could be re-fingertrapped when it get shorter.

Use 725 microline and make it long enough to have an extra 8 inches left .What I do when I replace the centerline is pretty simple and easy.I fingertrap and tack the line on the bag side and I on the pilot chute side,I make the line going thrue the anchor tape ,I do double knot and fingertrap the excess back into the line.This way,when you need to adjust the new kill line,you just need to undo the knots and re adjust it.Kill line has to be about an inch or two longer than the pilote chute tape when pulled all the way.If your bridle is always twisted like hell after the opening is just because your kill line is too short.

If your bridle is always twisted like hell after the opening is just because your kill line is too short.

If your PC is spinning up, your kill line is probably too long ie not collapsing completely. If it's too short, you wont be able to set it all the way and may get a PC in tow or other problems.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your bridle is always twisted like hell after the opening is just because your kill line is too short.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your PC is spinning up, your kill line is probably too long ie not collapsing completely. If it's too short, you wont be able to set it all the way and may get a PC in tow or other problems.

There are other possible causes for twisted bridles so you can't really assume the kill line length is to blame. On jumps where I spend a long time flying in brakes my bridle gets really twisted from the added turbulence back there and the slower speed.(causing the pilot chute to hang down lower in the turbulent air)

Just another thought.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------

Conflicting info
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Contact the manufacturer of the harness/ container and/or the manufacturer of the pilot chute. As a rigger or person making the repairs to your kill line pilot chute, you must understand the design and contruction of the device. Even some riggers do not understand the kill line enough to replace it properly. A person training to become a rigger is'nt required to replace a kill line in a pilot chute. Get your info about replacing parts and repairs from the manufacturer.

In Reply To

Conflicting info

Yeah, then I added a third possibility with the added turbulence from flying in brakes. If I could only see the airflow, I would understand a little better what is going on, huh?
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

There are other possible causes for twisted bridles so you can't really assume the kill line length is to blame. On jumps where I spend a long time flying in brakes my bridle gets really twisted from the added turbulence back there and the slower speed.(causing the pilot chute to hang down lower in the turbulent air)

Have you checked the knot where the pilot chute attaches to the Bridle? I just recently fixed a twisting problem on a PC by making the PC semetical again. The knot was to one side cersus center of the PC there it is attached.
Just another thought.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker