matt1215

Pilot vs Sabre2 & Safire2

I'm trying some demos, currently have a Pilot 188 in my rig (love it after 4 jumps). I've been jumping a Spectre 210 (@.94:1) and I'm looking to downsize into a somewhat conservative 9 cell design.

I'd like to hear some comparative observation on these 3 canopies and whether there's anything I should be aware of pre-demo.

I bought a brand new Pilot 188 last year with a WL of 1.1. It can get going when you want it too and it will out glide those others. Just my .02 cents

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

All good wings. I preferred the Sabre2 over the Pilot. The Pilot had a long soft snivel. I was use to a faster opening with my old Sabre1 and the pilot just felt odd. Went with the Sabre2.

Didn't try the Safire.

Demo all, then decide.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What you'll probably find is that more experienced and aggressive canopy pilots seem to prefer the Sabre2; others the Pilot (if you can be bothered to read all the posts). You'll like the Pilot; it's good for newbies; I'm still alive. ;)

I got bored of it eventually and traded my Pilot 150 for a Safire2 129 (now the canopy I use for wingsuit flights)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I a have one more weekend on my Demo of the Pilot (which has the softest opening you can imagine and is blast to fly)...I have a Safire demo coming in this week....and will then demo a Sabre2...I'll let you know my thoughts afte that.

I currently fly a Tri and have demo'd a Spectre. The pilot is wayyy better than both of those in my oppinion.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

I agree with what is above, do your research on each. Demo away, look at what you want out of the canopy today, and where you want to go with it in the future. Do your homework on the different companies. And most of all, enjoy the search, your here to skydive and have fun(I assume) so learn and enjoy the canopies for each of their strongpoints.
Watch out for planters.

I'll definitely check it out B|. Ever figure out why your 210 self-destructed?

Seemed to be a combination of factors. Probably my packing (I was REALLY struggling to bag it, it was too big for my rig pretty much), coupled with bad body position. It inflated the right side first, so the right side took the full force of the opening.
cavete terrae.

As far as I can tell....The pilot has ZP top and bottom but has F-111 ribs. It is still a bitch to pack...but psycho packing really helps with that.

The pilot is really easy to land versus the 7 cells I'm used to Tri and Spectre.

My Safire comes this weekend followed by the Firebolt a few weeks later. Demo'ing is awesome. There are so many choices for intermediate canopies! Decisions...Decisions!
- - -

As far as I can tell....The pilot has ZP top and bottom but has F-111 ribs.

We currently have pilots in active R&D (active meaning currently being jumped) that are fully zero porosity, however the openings are not as nice as on the existing pilot and they remain tougher for inexperienced jumpers to pack consistently.

We are in 2 minds as to where we go with the project. However for right now, we can't keep the existing design on our shelves, so perhaps it'll be something to explore at a later date. From most response's we get people are satisfied with the existing design and performance of the PILOT as it stands.

Kind Regards

Bushman

I was referring to R&D canopies that have zero porosity ribs as well. However inflation is no where near as smooth and as consistent.

Really? I had no idea that openings could be so affected by something like rib material. Canopy designers must have a harder life than I thought!:P

Since the F-111 seems to 'work' better in the canopy are there an noticeable benefits in wear/ longevity with ZP ribs, or were you just trying it out to see what would happen? Are the inflation issues with the ZP something that could be solved with different crossport design?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The current design is awesome! I wouldn't change a thing those openings are the best of any canopy I have tried thus far....and I can't see how ZP ribs would otherwise improve performance. That thing is hard enough to pack as it is. Love it though!
- - -

The current design is awesome! I wouldn't change a thing those openings are the best of any canopy I have tried thus far....and I can't see how ZP ribs would otherwise improve performance. That thing is hard enough to pack as it is. Love it though!

Agreed that it's a great design. I'm pleasantly impressed with how well it got me back from a long downwind spot yesterday. Started my final at about 2.5k and landed a fair distance into the field. Unlike my Spectre, I didn't have to ride the rear risers at all.

As for packing, I have to disagree. Colored packing tabs make it a lot easier to see where you are in the canopy, and the material's a lot less slippery than my Spectre.

Safire2 demo coming tomorrow B|B|.